How do these airlines stay in business?

mikeman

I've got a trip to vegas planned in may - I was going southwest using miles both ways but just switched my return to sun country because it's so damn cheap.  If I valued the miles my flight on SW was costing roughly $130 one way, sun country is $59 and the times are a little better.

After taxes and fees sun country is flying me from las vegas to MSP for $43, that's crazy. I know they try to make it up with bag fees but I'll just stash my bag under the seat and they wont get a dime extra. It's a non stop too on sun country.

Just now, Miley Cyrus said:

Used SC to get to Philly.  Will say it went smoothly, though I didn't check any baggage either.  

How closely did they check your carryon, do they make people put it in the box to check the dimensions?

14 minutes ago, Miley Cyrus said:

Not sure the exact dimensions of mine, but it was a pretty standard roller bag and they paid no mind. 

These prices are crazy, I remember way back in the 90's I would always go on MLT charters, flights were usually from $199 to $239 RT and I thought it was cheap. then I'd stay at the westward Ho for an extra $50-60 for 3 nights.

10 hours ago, mikeman said:

These prices are crazy, I remember way back in the 90's I would always go on MLT charters, flights were usually from $199 to $239 RT and I thought it was cheap. then I'd stay at the westward Ho for an extra $50-60 for 3 nights.

when my dad used to go, the package deal WITH westward ho was often cheaper than just the flights!  then he'd ask why i don't stay there, and he'd get stuck in the back with that huge walk just to the strip.  food was decent and cheap as hell there though

7 minutes ago, milwaukee mike said:

when my dad used to go, the package deal WITH westward ho was often cheaper than just the flights!  then he'd ask why i don't stay there, and he'd get stuck in the back with that huge walk just to the strip.  food was decent and cheap as hell there though

Yup, the "back rooms" were like $20 cheaper per person so we'd hoof it. I also stayed at the circus circus as well as the stardust manor rooms a few times.

Then you'd get that coupon book from the Ho for stuff like 99 cents bisquits and gravy as well as a shitload of donuts. They also had either a bloody mary or champaign fountain going - that hit the spot.

Caesar Rewarts charter - $45 a person for flight and room (some trips are 3 nights, some 4.)  Includes 1 alcoholic drink each way and a bag of snacks.  When you get off the plane they give you your room keys and players card and they take the luggage from the airport right to your room.  Pretty sweet deal.  Just none to Vegas.  Went to Laughlin last year, doing Tahoe this year and maybe Atlantic City.  

13 minutes ago, Tomorrow's Newspaper said:

Caesar Rewarts charter - $45 a person for flight and room (some trips are 3 nights, some 4.)  Includes 1 alcoholic drink each way and a bag of snacks.  When you get off the plane they give you your room keys and players card and they take the luggage from the airport right to your room.  Pretty sweet deal.  Just none to Vegas.  Went to Laughlin last year, doing Tahoe this year and maybe Atlantic City.  

That's how I travel to Laughlin, Tahoe and Reno.

VERY inexpensive.