Selling your WSOP bracelets is never a good sign

D-Hustle

Not a good sign selling your trophy. I always thought as a kid it would be cool to buy it, then when the person won another tourney, they would come back and pay you triple what you took it off their hands for. This article says bracelets from Stu or Phil would be a find, a bracelet by Cloutier would be like buying some used pair of Richard Simmons leggings. Hilarious.

Pretty sure that was Thor Hansen.

Actually I first heard it attributed to Eskimo, but later, old Vegas guys told me it was TJs.

But it isn't a provable thing. I just remember hearing it said in about 1987, of Eskimo, and then within about a year, as I said, hearing that it was "properly" attributed to TJ.

Don't matter none. At this point it's best assumed apocryphal.

But you can tell me how you're "pretty sure" it's Thor Hansen's considering I don't remember ever even hearing his name until maybe ten years after first hearing that quote.

Most of the poker media attribute the quote to thor hansen because he said it after a tournament win. Just googling the phrase turns up articles about thor hansen hence the "pretty sure". I had to google it myself since I couldn't remember where I first heard the quote. It may very well have been eskimo or TJ that said it originally but i couldn't find anything or anyone sourcing it to them. So just relax PJ, and don't take it as affront to your poker wisdom, I'm just pointing out it could have been any number of people including all previously mentioned.

TJ might be the most legendary of degens. Old story goes that he was once asked what would he do if he won the Main Event' date=' for millions, of course. He said he'd pay back the people he owed. He was asked, what would he do with the rest? He said, the rest would have to wait.[/quote'] I remember reading once a European play originally made that classic statement . I also know Gus Hanson said it once causing a roar of laughter after his million-dollar score . I never heard it attributed to TJ but it certainly applies . Below is an article where it is attributed to another poker player So there you have it, a quick column on nicknames and where they came from. To end, I’ll leave you with a quick interview from Eric Drache, famous professional player and long-time poker room manager. A reporter asked him what he would ever do if he won “The Big One†(The World Series of Poker), to which Drache replied: “I’d pay off some debts.†Then the reporter asked him what he’d do with the rest. His deadpan response was a classic: “They would have to wait.â€