The Illusion of Control in Gambling

Dr. Paddy

Every "professional" gambler is self identified and self declared. And, they may prop up each others delusions............

The idea of professional gamblers is an absurdity to anyone but professional gamblers. The article in this thread is really about the illusion that ANYBODY is a professional gambler and the mechanisms by which they come to believe they are, and advance that image of themselves to others.............

For a certain element in the chitty room community it has become of great importance to announce one's profesionalism, give the profession a title and belittle those who do not find the self designation credible.

I have had some of my greatest laughs over the never ending quest.........

For a certain element in the chitty room community it has become of great importance to announce one's profesionalism, give the profession a title and belittle those who do not find the self designation credible.

I have had some of my greatest laughs over the never ending quest.........

I think I wasn't completely accurate when I said that only blackjack and poker can be influenced by skill. I'm sure sportsbetting can as well. However, I think the bit about thinking one has special knowledge about teams, games, etc. applies to a population in which that special knowledge really exists in only a few. And most of them work for the books, who have the greatest expertise.

For the record, I do think Fishhead is a credible guy. No problem with that.

I think I wasn't completely accurate when I said that only blackjack and poker can be influenced by skill. I'm sure sportsbetting can as well. However, I think the bit about thinking one has special knowledge about teams, games, etc. applies to a population in which that special knowledge really exists in only a few. And most of them work for the books, who have the greatest expertise.

For the record, I do think Fishhead is a credible guy. No problem with that.

How is video poker results not influenced by skill??

Also, with sports, many instances it will include knowing how to properly bet and know the odds than actually knowing anything about a particular team, and this is a sound and fundamental skill that is learned.

Also, with sports, many instances it will include knowing how to properly bet and know the odds than actually knowing anything about a particular team, and this is a sound and fundamental skill that is learned.

What is video poker? I have no problem with the idea that poker at a table is influenced by skill, which is the inverse of stupidity, I suppose. I mean, being smart is much better than being stupid in poker.

I thought the results were basically random and any advantage was in trying to predict "due", then maximizing on play.

Know very little so perhaps you could explain the skill involved.

Fish I am not being at all sarcastic and like Paddy also stated I don't find you or your posts lacking in credibility. You are familiar enough with my posting to know I ain't shy and I would flat out tell you if that was the case. If I throw the occasional dig it's for shits and fukkin I love cock and again you been around way too long to give a fukk either way.

Let's call it lack of understanding. I would like to know where the skill is.

• 1 year later...