Who is more valuable to a Forum?

Sol Diabler

i would agree with this except for the thousands part. some of us have buddies and family members that are just stupid and overly skeptical. they believe everything the tv tells them but if i try to explain how they can make 700-800 risk free they think there must be a catch even if i show them the check and the bet history.

so it might be a situation where someone "only" does 1, inexcusable to totally pass on the offer out of fear and stupidity like you said.

And lots of people aren't eligible to deposit there because of where they live, including me and the majority of the people I trust enough to use for the promo. (NV, NJ, and most of the populated areas of PA aren't eligible, along with a bunch of other states). Most of the trustworthy people I know in other areas are gamblers themselves, and would be taking advantage of the promo anyway if they were so inclined.

Yeah, if you live in an eligible area, there's really no excuse for not doing the promo, but a lot of people don't have an army of beards at their disposal with only a week's notice or so.

As far as supporting sponsor books goes, the biggest issue IMO is the difficulty in depositing. This time of year I usually have a few poker guys I know ask about betting, and they would probably not mind depositing $500 or $1000 at whatever book and getting a bonus, but these aren't the kinds of people who are going to be happy going to Walmart or a check cashing place and using the two popular p2p methods, since sending $500 to Maria Conchita Consuela Rodriguez in Nicaragua sounds kind of shady, plus you run the risk of getting on a blacklist.

Guest ChrisHarvard

Because so many drones say: "You don't need a bonus if you're a good handicapper"

Drone: A male bee, especially a honeybee,that is characteristically stingless,performs no work,and produces no honey.

Thanks for the (-245) Seattle winner last night, ronald. You're sharp.

1) The contest whore who plays every contest, deposits every now and then to forum sponsored books, but rarely if ever participates in forum discussion.

2) The poster who is a top forum draw as far as page thread views, never participates in contests, and sometimes (but rarely) deposits into forum sponsored books?

I think poster 1 puts money in the forum owners pocket. If the forum owner receives a portion of all the bankroll a better bets, that keeps the forum lights on. Without them the forum lights go off.

I have seen previous forums shut down their threads after a period of time, and just earn the funds that poster 1 types earn for the forum owner, and they do just fine.

Guest ChrisHarvard
It's hard to categorize posters into groups like that and say you only need one or the other. Some drama is good for page views and entertainment. Take a poster like Brock, in small doses he was a positive IMO especially with his radio segment (pre-superbowl stiff job of course) but give him too much of a leash and it got out of control turning negative for everyone fast. The less rigoreous material or OT stuff also drives traffic from search engines. You get other gamblers who don't know much about sportsbetting and are looking to get into it or straight punters who read something and then stay to gamble.

Contest whores are an important piece too. Most contests whores have been around for a long time though. You don't often get a new signups as contest whores (besides gnomes) and I guarantee no book just wants a sheet just full of whores as it'll eventually bite them in the ass. I think it's a misnomer that things would be better with just a forum full of them... just logically from their perspective it's negative equity just having an additional participant to any promotion. They may band togeather for stuff like the racing promotion where participation # has no effect but what about a survivor league with a guaranteed prize pool? Do you really want that profit motive in direct conflict with bringing in new affilates to a site as a primary promotion tool?

So what has been successful? If you look at what I consider the biggest "successful forums" over the years like Covers/SBR (maybe in earliar years Rx/Majorwager/Eog) there was always a mixing of both types. Then there's the other extreme like bangthebook that caters to whores exclusively but would anyone consider them the most successful of the bunch?

I think that a mixing of both is best in the end... a compromise between the people who run the forums and the posters that spend their time there.

Chickadee is a businessman, I can see that.

• 5 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Dibs:

Ive shared Ive been in education as a career. Ive shared my wife of 24 years is an angel. Ive shared my kids are awesome. Ive shared I coach football. I've shared I played and excelled at multiple sports in HS. I've shared I'm a reserved person. Not a violent man in the least. Etc.

There is a shit ton I have not shared. Because I'm not interested in doing so. Like I said, you have no clue what I've gone through in life. Fella.