Anyone ever eaten at Joe's Stone Crab?

WVU

Those who think Joe's Stone Crabs is a shit chain has never been and are obviously thinking of Joes Crab Shack

didn't landers post pictures at a joe's crab shack?

i'm wondering how they were both allowed to have that name?  i worked with black wolf lodge here, and they had to change the name to great wolf lodge just because of the black wolf run golf course 2 hours away 

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.chron.com/business/article/Crab-restaurant-boiling-over-Joe-name-1991130.php

You and a friend are in South Florida, both in the mood for crabs, and you say, "Let's meet at Joe's." Will you wind up at the same place?

There is a Joe's Stone Crab Restaurant in Miami Beach, as well as two Joe's Crab Shacks in South Florida.

Joe's Stone Crab, which has been in Miami Beach since 1913, is suing Houston-based Landry's Restaurants, owner of the Joe's Crab Shack chain, claiming it reneged on a 1996 agreement not to open any Joe's Crab Shacks in South Florida.

The two crab joints have locked claws for almost a decade.

It started when Landry's filed a trademark application for the name "Joe's Crab Shack." Joe's Stone Crab opposed it, claiming it was too close to its name and would confuse consumers.

Joe's Stone Crab withdrew its opposition after Landry's agreed to keep Joe's Crab Shack out of four South Florida counties: Miami-Dade, Broward, Monroe and Collier.

After the agreement was struck, two Joe's Crab Shacks opened in South Florida, one in Lauderhill and another in Naples.

Lauderhill is about 25 miles from Joe's Stone Crab in Broward County, and Naples is about 100 miles away in Collier County.

"Factors have changed which allow us to maintain operations there," said Landry's general counsel, Steven Scheinthal.

Scheinthal said he could not elaborate because the case is in litigation, "but basically we're all right."

"We opened a restaurant in Naples five years ago and in Lauderhill two years ago without any issue or problem. I don't really think there's an issue, and we hope to resolve the lawsuit in the near future."

Representatives from Joe's Stone Crab did not return calls.

What possible factors could have changed to make Landry's feel it has the right to have Joe's Crab Shacks in South Florida?

Bruce Patterson, a partner at the law firm Moser Patterson & Sheridan, threw out a few scenarios:

Typically in a trademark dispute, whichever company used the name first will be the winner in court, Patterson said, but it is possible that Landry's discovered some other "Joe Crab" type restaurant that has an even stronger claim to the trademark than does Joe's Stone Crab.

Any other restaurant in the area with a name similar to Joe's Stone Crab or Joe's Crab Shack would serve to "muddy the waters," he said.

Or, perhaps Landry's did some research and found that, lo and behold, people aren't confused by the two names.

Or, maybe Landry's is planning to change the name of its Joe's Crab Shacks in South Florida to something like "Joe's Seafood Shack," Patterson said.

Sooner or later, Landry's will have to publicly state why it believes it isn't violating its agreement with Joe's Stone Crab, Patterson said, and that will happen when both sides state their positions in court, unless they reach a new agreement.

This isn't the first time Landry's has been in a dispute over names.

Previously, it has been the one doing the suing.

After acquiring Landry's and Willie G's restaurants from the Landry family, Landry's Restaurants CEO Tilman Fertitta sued the family when at their other restaurants they made references to "Landry" or "Willie G," the first name and middle initial of the patriarch.

In California, Landry's Restaurants got into a name dispute with Rusty Pelican Restaurants after Landry's purchased five of the company's seven units, and Rusty Pelican Restaurants wanted to continue using the name "Rusty Pelican" for its remaining two locations.

Jone's Stone Crab has only one location, but is a Miami Beach institution and more upscale than Joe's Crab Shack.

The first Joe's Crab Shack was founded by Chris King in 1991 at 6218 Richmond in Houston. It was purchased by Landry's Restaurants in 1994, and there are currently 139 Joe's in the United States.

No. 140 opens Tuesday in the Detroit area.

Will try to get a video having some Florida Stone Crab this Friday night, have lots of comp dollars to use up ........having them at what will remain an undisclosed location, but perhaps someone will be able to figure out where from the video, my guess is that no more than two posters have ever been to the place.

Stay tuned

Fishhead with an excellent recommendation in the relatively unknown Crab Corner. Go there quite a bit and while it's pretty much a no frills place it does a great job replicating the Maryland shore experience.

Very cheap beer in the bar area during NFL games as well.

For the record, that was not me that got the 2 confused..

Ive been to Joes Crab Shack. No more upscale than Red Lobster or Olive Garden.

i would take olive garden over just about any other restaurant

there's a waitress there that gives us a full glass of free wine right away, instead of just a sample... problem with that is it gets mrs milwaukee going and then she orders 3 sangrias

and then my kids waste money playing those stupid games on the new table tablets  :doh

i would take olive garden over just about any other restaurant

there's a waitress there that gives us a full glass of free wine right away, instead of just a sample... problem with that is it gets mrs milwaukee going and then she orders 3 sangrias

and then my kids waste money playing those stupid games on the new table tablets :doh

Im not a food or restaurant snob for the most part. I like the soup and salad lunch special at Olive Garden. Unlimited salad, soup, and breadsticks for like 8 bucks. Tasty and great value.

poster jakepeavy told me not to move to florida because i would get swamp ass

another client of mine that lived in florida said he moved away because "it's not the heat, it's the stupidity"

lol there is a radio segment on the local radio called

"It Happened in Florida" and the radio guys tells you 3 stories and you have to guess which one happened in Florida.

Crazy stuff such as cops coming to a families home b/c a man fired his hand gun inside the house at a rat etc.....

Fine, you fuck.

I'll join the crowd to make fun of you for spending $500 on sea roaches. :lol

:laugh

The wife got to choose the restaurant.  That is how we do it in my household.  My kids and wife used to choose places like Outback and Chilis.  Now they pick out expensive places like Joes and Shulas.  :doh

have you ever watched the penn & teller bullshit episode on food?

they are in higher end restaurants and serve crappy canned food instead and almost everyone still falls for it... just like with drugs they have to compare it to a placebo, because if you think something is going to cure your headache that mentality is most of the benefit

my mother got some really great crab legs here from empire fish all the time, because I didn't like lobster as much... it was really cool because the owner there would take us into the back and show us all these individual coolers with puffer fish and all kinds of exotic sea creatures.  then I got handed a cooler with my special crab legs in it, and my mom would get lobsters for everyone else

they were probably among the best crab legs in the world, but as a kid they still would've tasted great to me just because it was like I got the holy grail every time I went in the back and we were treated like a queen with her little prince

walmart ran ads based on that premise

I think it was walmart

they'd serve their steaks in a restaurant somehow and people said it was great