Who wrote the book of Genesis?

sleepy

Someone who had no idea of cosmology.  (Actually, many people who had no idea.)

And, of course, there are all those changes to the original texts made by not only copying errors, but clerics that felt the need to justify their own beliefs.  I know you won't believe me, but these changes over time have been verified by scholars that you won't believe either.

But, don't let all the mistakes and contradictions get in the way of your beliefs. 

God.

I don't know if you are serious or not, but IF God forced different languages on different cultures at the Tower of Babel - then doesn't it seem strange that He did not "write" the book of Genesis in every language?  Was this the God of the human race, or just the Israelites?

Genesis 11:6-9  tells us that God's people went to Babel to build a city.  After they began to build, God confounded their language so humans would not be able to do anything we put our minds to.  Prior to the beginning of the building of Babel, "The whole earth was of one language."

But, the author of Genesis had already told us in Genesis 10:5 that the Gentiles were divided into their own lands "every one after his own tongue."  Then Nimrod was begat by Cush and "the beginning of his kingdom was Babel."

So, which author of Genesis is right?  The one that wrote that only one language existed before Babel, or the one that wrote that the Gentiles each had their own language before Babel?

If God wrote Genesis, then He is not keeping His story straight!

You mean He created all humans, but only cared for Israelites?  Really?

Yes    until Jesus came and he was rejected by the Hebrews

The Faith of the Canaanite Woman

26But Jesus replied, “It is not right to take the children’s bread and toss it to the dogs.” 27“Yes, Lord,she said, “- even the dogs eat the crumbs that fallfrom their master’s table.” 28“O woman,” Jesus answered, “your faith is great! Let it be done for you as you desire.” And her daughter was healed from that very hour.…

I don't know if you are serious or not, but IF God forced different languages on different cultures at the Tower of Babel - then doesn't it seem strange that He did not "write" the book of Genesis in every language?  Was this the God of the human race, or just the Israelites?

Genesis 11:6-9  tells us that God's people went to Babel to build a city.  After they began to build, God confounded their language so humans would not be able to do anything we put our minds to.  Prior to the beginning of the building of Babel, "The whole earth was of one language."

But, the author of Genesis had already told us in Genesis 10:5 that the Gentiles were divided into their own lands "every one after his own tongue."  Then Nimrod was begat by Cush and "the beginning of his kingdom was Babel."

So, which author of Genesis is right?  The one that wrote that only one language existed before Babel, or the one that wrote that the Gentiles each had their own language before Babel?

If God wrote Genesis, then He is not keeping His story straight!

It was by dictation to a crazy brown man that could not keep the story straight.

You really believe that your God would create humans because He loves them - but then pick one small band of followers in exclusion to the vast majority of mankind? 

Even people in that tiny faction that He chose to favor would not all be mind-numbed robots that believe the same thing.  So, He would still love the Israelite that was having misgivings but not the innocent Gentile baby merely due to the happenstance of where he was born?

That makes absolutely no sense.

( No comment on the different authors of Genesis 10 and Genesis 11, and the different stories?)

You really believe that your God would create humans because He loves them - but then pick one small band of followers in exclusion to the vast majority of mankind? 

Even people in that tiny faction that He chose to favor would not all be mind-numbed robots that believe the same thing.  So, He would still love the Israelite that was having misgivings but not the innocent Gentile baby merely due to the happenstance of where he was born?

That makes absolutely no sense.

( No comment on the different authors of Genesis 10 and Genesis 11, and the different stories?)

Im working right now....when I get a chance I will read Gen 10 and 11 to reply....

Tell you this.....I am alive when I should not be.....I have been safe in situations where I can not see how I survived.....

I dont say these things to argue...I believe them......

I respect anyone having an opinion that is different than mine  which means im not really going to argue to try to change their mind.....this would be disrespecting their opinion....

if you feel that I am avoiding it than I am sorry

No one knows for sure but most scholars agree that it was Moses.

That would be Christian scholars.

Scholars that don't have the Christianity tradition to try to keep intact see it differently.  According to Wikipedia, "Tradition credits Moses as the author of Genesis, as well as Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and most of Deuteronomy, but modern scholars increasingly see them as a product of the 6th and 5th centuries BCE.[5][6]"

(It is obvious that Genesis 10 and Genesis 11 had different authors!)