**beginning of the end for the stock market

milwaukee mike

wow.  you seriously need to read some history!  do you know what a cesspool of a country and  cesspool poor crime ridden unhealthy cities and little towns we had decades ago?  50 years ago?  100 years ago?

we have it 50 times better now in almost all areas.  Every area no, certain drug use especially troubling, and middle income white family divorces too high.  

my dad could work in the summer at a can factory and make enough money to pay for tuition at marquette

and milwaukee had almost no crime then vs today

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and just going back in time to when i was a kid (30 years ago)

we could play in the street at night in milwaukee, left our doors open, everyone in the neighborhood was (for the most part) friendly and nice ... now there is no way in heck i would let my kids play outside at night anywhere near there, and most of my neighbors are miserable pricks

Nothing like that sweet sweet IOWA grain

it makes the economy GROW

bingo

people will always have a need for food, clothing, shelter

but over-consumption is what i see coming to an end... just the stuff i've dealt with lately on refinancing deals, banks are getting super tight and money isn't as readily available for people as it was in the past.

like fishhead said, most people i know too are either millionaires or flat broke.  they might have nice cars and a nice house but it's all borrowed money and if you saw their credit card bills it might shock you!

I would guess 9/10 people have no clue in what they're invested in or care as long as it goes up

ask them what a stock is or the different methods of valuing it and they will give you a blank stare

i worked in a CIBC brokerage branch and the brokers were sales people, the analysts sent out by mutual fund companies to pimp their products at the brokerage office were sales people,

the "impartial" analysts covering individual sectors or companies are biased towards positive ratings because they otherwise would not have access to info or the companies would complain and their boss would get on their case nor would they want to escape the herd mentality of the other analyst's covering that sector

even in house reports were plagued with positivity because the problem is systemic (and mind you this was pre 2006 so everything was GREAT! until it wasn't)

it's the same reason so called impartial credit rating agencies got it so wrong during the subprime crisis

the solution of course suggested is indexing but there's inherent problems in that as well if the flow of capital trends too much towards artificial stock indices regardless of valuation

Hi guys.  It appears there are some market sharps in here.   One thing this "intelligent, self-sufficient woman" has no clue about is the market. My one run with it was not good.   I bought some gold years ago (coins) but have since sold those, so I'm almost strictly in cash.

Earlier this year  bought shares in NRF (for the dividend) and VIG (saw on a list and liked the symbol)    NRF has been holding since I bought in January.  It's a REIT.   I'm staying in hoping for a merger to correct a spin off a few years back, but honestly I have no idea how to read all the numbers/charts etc and my "Investing for Dummies" book is still on the shelf,so if anyone feels inclined to look at those and give me an opinion I would appreciate it.    I hate watching money earn %1 interest, especially while I'm not working.

I also have an unallocated 2015 IRA contribution I need to put into something.  It's sitting in a MM at Ameritrade.  Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Hi guys.  It appears there are some market sharps in here.   One thing this "intelligent, self-sufficient woman" has no clue about is the market. My one run with it was not good.   I bought some gold years ago (coins) but have since sold those, so I'm almost strictly in cash.

Earlier this year  bought shares in NRF (for the dividend) and VIG (saw on a list and liked the symbol)    NRF has been holding since I bought in January.  It's a REIT.   I'm staying in hoping for a merger to correct a spin off a few years back, but honestly I have no idea how to read all the numbers/charts etc and my "Investing for Dummies" book is still on the shelf,so if anyone feels inclined to look at those and give me an opinion I would appreciate it.    I hate watching money earn %1 interest, especially while I'm not working.

I also have an unallocated 2015 IRA contribution I need to put into something.  It's sitting in a MM at Ameritrade.  Any recommendations would be appreciated!

with ira money, if you're not going to touch it for 10 years and want fixed income i would just throw it in a 10-year cd, take the measly 2.4% or whatever...if you want stock market exposure then just buy spy (s&p 500)... i'll look into those reits and get back to you

See?  I didn't even know you could buy CDs within an IRA.   Thanks!    NRF is a REIT..the other one is an EFT (and no, I don't know exactly what that means-ha)   

"All" I want to do is find a way to make %5 to %6 on my money.    No rush, but appreciate any insight.

Guest boatboatboat

Someone must not have told US travelers we are in the shitter

just booked airfare and a rental car

prices have risen considerably the last 2-3 years, a sign that people are traveling which is a luxury item

See?  I didn't even know you could buy CDs within an IRA.   Thanks!    NRF is a REIT..the other one is an EFT (and no, I don't know exactly what that means-ha)   

"All" I want to do is find a way to make %5 to %6 on my money.    No rush, but appreciate any insight.

Unless rates spike a bunch, you won't get that high without taking on risk.

Guest boatboatboat

Sending 7 to Disney in a month. A grand to just get in the place.

And place is never busier and tickets just keep going up

go now, emps and stock market crash coming

take ammo, may be only way to score a mickey head ice cream

Assuming American

read bogleheads guide to investing

will boil down to using some combination of index funds to invest depending on your risk tolerance

vanguard usually has the lowest fees (MER's)/PITA factor + low cost brokerage to get them

fee only planner for the rest of stuff (insurance, emergency fund, debt servicing etc.)

i can only hope and dream that you will listen to me, that would really make my life better lol

a large % of people have bigger houses and nicer cars, but most families have both spouses working insane hours to get to that point

come to milwaukee and see how good 1/2 the population here has it... at least those people in the 50s had dirt floors, now do you know any 25 year olds that own their own house?  most still live at home with mommy because it's apparently so good out there

I was born in Milwaukee, still have relatives there, hell, you could be one of my cousins I haven't seen in 25 - 30 years, those people who live like crap now live that way because their scum, not because of the economy, they're loser blacks from chicago trying for an extra few hondo a month in welfare. It's a sign that society works when lazy, stupid people live badly, rejoice in it, dont despair.