Taking wife to Aruba in 2 weeks,who has........

Hoops

Go to the restaurant that is at the beach right in front of the RIU hotel (Palm beach). Its at the water, very cool to grab a bite and a few drinks. Drink an Amstel bright. I also recommend to go snorking on one of those things that you put in your head so you are actually walking in the floor of the ocean - dont know the name of it. 

Go to the restaurant that is at the beach right in front of the RIU hotel (Palm beach). Its at the water, very cool to grab a bite and a few drinks. Drink an Amstel bright. I also recommend to go snorking on one of those things that you put in your head so you are actually walking in the floor of the ocean - dont know the name of it.

Thanks for the recommendations George. We will check out both :cheers

It's been about 15 years since I've been there, but 2 of my favorites were the Old Cunucu House, which serves authentic Aruban food in a renovated old house, and the Bugaloe Beach bar on Palm Beach. Beautiful view, good music, decent happy hour.

It's been about 15 years since I've been there, but 2 of my favorites were the Old Cunucu House, which serves authentic Aruban food in a renovated old house, and the Bugaloe Beach bar on Palm Beach. Beautiful view, good music, decent happy hour.

Recommendations for food and activities?

My wife and I went there on a junket about 35 years ago.  We had $3000 to our name and decided to go because they were offering free room and board if you put up $3000 and agreed to make $15 minimum bets for at least a couple hours/day against the house.

Two meals a day that would have cost at least $40 even back then, and a nice room right off the beach.

One interesting activity that we partook of was a little two-seater paddle boat.  They guy doing the renting advised us to not go out too far - seemed like good advice, but it was a clear day and the water was calm.

So, we got in and started paddling around mostly in circles while watching the reef with its denizens.  After an hour or so, we looked up and decided it was time to head in.  We were maybe 100 or 200 yards off shore.  We started paddling in.  After several minutes had passed, we were no closer to the shore.  We, or at least I, started paddling faster.  After several more minutes, we were no closer to the shore.

As it turns out, there is a current that starts just offshore than heads out to sea.  We were not going to make any progress.  After about a half-hour of us wondering how much more we could paddle and if we would ever see land again - the paddle-boat operator finally got his motor boat and came out and rescued us ( for an extra $20 fee).

So, be careful of those off-shore currents.  I felt awfully embarrassed while waiting for that motor boat to show up.  At least the wife and I showed a profit for the week, and went home with more money than we came with.  It really wasn't too bright putting up our entire bankroll to play against the house - but we all get lucky once in a while.