Near misses, what would you go back and do that you seriously considered doing

Mofome

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Just before the real estate boom hit here in 2001 I looked at my first house, it was perfect and cheap for being so close to the beach but I said for the first time in my life I'm not going to rush into things so I kept looking and house prices were going up 10-20k from one weekend to the next it was crazy.

That house was 207k and two years later was worth 1.2 million.....I ended up far from the beach and paid 233k and in those two years might have hit a worth of 700k

That house is at least still worth 1 million and mine has dropped to about 550k

Just before the real estate boom hit here in 2001 I looked at my first house, it was perfect and cheap for being so close to the beach but I said for the first time in my life I'm not going to rush into things so I kept looking and house prices were going up 10-20k from one weekend to the next it was crazy.

That house was 207k and two years later was worth 1.2 million.....I ended up far from the beach and paid 233k and in those two years might have hit a worth of 700k

Damn. That had to hurt.

Wish I didn't waste so much money in my mid-20's on gambling.  Took a good few years and some very tough lessons to realize you can't beat the game or at least keep your head above water without some serious discipline.  It was WAY to easy to dump hundreds a day online.  I never went broke nor did I ever get us in financial debt from it.  We've been fortunate that we have never had credit card debt.  But I did probably lose a good 50k plus over a 5-6 year span.  That 50k would look damn good in an account right now.  

This is why I bet so small online these days.  I know how easy it can be for things to snowball and start chasing. 

Sold a home in Vegas in 2002 for 160k, a year later it's 250k and eventually topped out around 330k...........on the flipside, it fell to 100k a few years later after topping out.

Crazy market

Sold a home in Vegas in 2002 for 160k, a year later it's 250k and eventually topped out around 330k...........on the flipside, it fell to 100k a few years later after topping out.

Crazy market

Similar story.  I bought at near the peak of the market in 2005 for 270k.  Almost a year later, house appraised for 350k.

Two years later, we were upside down 100k from the original 170k.   Crazy times those were. 

I used to quite a bit but it does not do much good

everyone makes mistakes and you can't beat yourself up for every misstep

learn from the past, prepare for the future and live in the moment...

You won't believe this but just as recent of days ago I was going to search out a self help book to get me from dwelling on things I did as long as 30yrs ago....keeps me up at night even when I tell myself it no longer matters

You won't believe this but just as recent of days ago I was going to search out a self help book to get me from dwelling on things I did as long as 30yrs ago....keeps me up at night even when I tell myself it no longer matters

I would not gloss it Self-Help, but The Power of Now, if fully assimilated will relieve you of all undue thinking about either the past or the future.

Both the past and the future are 100% Fictional.

The only moment is Now and anytime we divert our attention from that truth we dilute our life experience

there's a lot of stuff in my past that I wish I could change but what's done is done..

Hopefully you can find a way to curtail those feelings, Teddy