-ondering if anyone has retuned to work after extended time out of the workforce...warning-long read*

IAG

There also really is something to that "sense of purpose" thing about working. I am financially independent but I kind of have that sense of my life being wasted. Based on what you have said about your gambling and your time here on the forums, it does seems that you are hugely bored. I am also bored stiff. But I am a lot better at being bored than most and very mentally disciplined so I can handle a lot of things others can't in this situation. It is really not that easy to live this kind of life.

Exercise is also really important that helps with depression and breaks up your day. I think going back to work might really solve some of the issues you have discussed.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There also really is something to that "sense of purpose" thing about working. I am financially independent but I kind of have that sense of my life being wasted. Based on what you have said about your gambling and your time here on the forums, it does seems that you are hugely bored. I am also bored stiff. But I am a lot better at being bored than most and very mentally disciplined so I can handle a lot of things others can't in this situation. It is really not that easy to live this kind of life.

how did you become "financially independent"?

how did you become "financially independent"?

I got into the financial industry right at the beginning of the internet bubble. You could work tons of OT. I got an email job early and it was pretty stress free and independent. I basically threw my life away for 10 years and worked massive amounts of OT. Was not doing anything but working and driving back and forth to work so basically piled up all the money I made. I knew it was not going to last so I was really motivated and cranked it out. After 10 yeas of that, they got tired of me and showed me the door. I could basically make exactly what my salary was in interest and I was used to living cheap so I gave it a try and it has worked.

40 year old?  Single Lady?  Sitting at home on gambling forum all day in pajamas?

That right there is enough motivation to get out and get a job or do something else.

Find a cowboy and buy a large piece of land build a home raise some cattle.  Have 100 kitties running around.  And most of all, no internet out there.  Enjoy life.

I got into the financial industry right at the beginning of the internet bubble. You could work tons of OT. I got an email job early and it was pretty stress free and independent. I basically threw my life away for 10 years and worked massive amounts of OT. Was not doing anything but working and driving back and forth to work so basically piled up all the money I made. I knew it was not going to last so I was really motivated and cranked it out. After 10 yeas of that, they got tired of me and showed me the door. I could basically make exactly what my salary was in interest and I was used to living cheap so I gave it a try and it has worked.

so in 10 years you squirreled away a couple million?  Doesn't add up, but I don't know your situation.

ok lets go with 250k.  How much interest are you getting on that?

If you must know, I had $698,000 when I quite working. Stock market tanked. Banks were looking for CDs. I put everything in 6% callable CDs. Those got called a couple of years later. The municipal bond market collapses and i put 100% of my money in Build America bonds and borrowed some from my parents and put some more. That gave me an income of 52K at the time.

If you must know, I had $698,000 when I quite working. Stock market tanked. Banks were looking for CDs. I put everything in 6% callable CDs. Those got called a couple of years later. The municipal bond market collapses and i put 100% of my money in Build America bonds and borrowed some from my parents and put some more. That gave me an income of 52K at the time.

um, ok.  6% CDs?  yeah.  makes sense

then you should know it has been 15 years since any CD paid 6%

No, WVU, remember why the stock market collapsed. They needed funding. They were desperate for cash. The were paying 6% on callable CDs. I had 6% CDs on Rabobank and others. They were coming to market because they were insolvent.

Look up Meredith Whitney call on muni bonds. I was all on Build America bonds in the Friday before she came on 60 Minutes.

That's +EV gambling right there WVU with virtually no risk.

No, WVU, remember why the stock market collapsed. They needed funding. They were desperate for cash. The were paying 6% on callable CDs. I had 6% CDs on Rabobank and others. They were coming to market because they were insolvent.

Look up Meredith Whitney call on muni bonds. I was all on Build America bonds in the Friday before she came on 60 Minutes.

That's +EV gambling right there WVU with virtually no risk.

lol so you got 6% for 2 years and somehow you were making over 50k per year in interest?  You must think we all are clueless.  I hold a finance degree so I'm not in the dark here dude.

I can fully identify with your situation as I have not worked for 8 years and am pretty sure I am unemployable. I think we are the same age and you are maybe 2 years younger. I really would not want to go back.

But I think it would not be a hard thing after you got used to the routine and I do really miss interacting with co-workers. I am pretty much a loner but it has been really tough being as isolated as I am. Most people my age are married and busy and I can't really identify with them anymore.

So I think you would probably like it once you got back into it.

What was your job before? And is that still an option?

I was a paralegal.  It was a unique position, and I could make nowhere near what I was making there.  The VP of the company who was also  let go in the merger,  has said I have a standing offer for a job with his new company, but I don't know if I would want to return to Denver, although I still have my townhome there, so nothing is out of the question.    

The rules of Civil Procedure are different from state to state, and research methods have changed drastically..  It would require going back to school, and not sure I'm up for that, at least right now.  

lol so you got 6% for 2 years and somehow you were making over 50k per year in interest?  You must think we all are clueless.  I hold a finance degree so I'm not in the dark here dude.

Well, you aren't very good at it. I am a journalism major and know a hell of a lot more than you obviously. It was 42K on the CDs. $52 when I went into BABs. Lets try to follow along.

I was a paralegal.  It was a unique position, and I could make nowhere near what I was making there.  The VP of the company who was also  let go in the merger,  has said I have a standing offer for a job with his new company, but I don't know if I would want to return to Denver, although I still have my townhome there, so nothing is out of the question.    

The rules of Civil Procedure are different from state to state, and research methods have changed drastically..  It would require going back to school, and not sure I'm up for that, at least right now.

Tough situation then. You would be in better position than me as a female with a story about taking care of your Mom. I would get the WVU treatment from any employer. I interviewed for a couple of jobs and they just kind of looked at me with a blank stare.

Have noticed similar things between people that say No Trump.

Most of them around here have mentioned rich parents and borrowing/living off them.

Would be nice if someone could explain that to me.

I borrowed about 25K because there were some really good bonds I did not want to miss. Could have used margin but too expensive.