'Obamacare' in Arizona: 2 remaining insurers hike rates by 50-75 percent

Cop

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

America is fat, dumb, and happy. Never before have Americans been so entitled and lazy as a whole.

America is STILL a land of opportunity. The poor now have EVERY opportunity to get out of their situation. So many free gifts and crutches to help. All it takes is some hard work. Yet many don't take advantage.

Our country is absolutely 100% fucked. You libs just don't know it yet. But you will.

America is fat, dumb, and happy. Never before have Americans been so entitled and lazy as a whole.

America is STILL a land of opportunity. The poor now have EVERY opportunity to get out of their situation. So many free gifts and crutches to help. All it takes is some hard work. Yet many don't take advantage.

Our country is absolutely 100% fucked. You libs just don't know it yet. But you will.

Yup.

in 2008 i paid less than $300/month, now i'm paying about $1200/month for a crappy plan

i can't think of anything else that has quadrupled in price in the last 8 years

if this continues it's gonna bankrupt everyone... imagine 10 years from now if wages are the same and insurance is $4000/month for a family... how many people are gonna be hired or covered?

Wow! Me too Mike, but I had a real job in 2008, so I was on a group plan then. I currently pay $500 plus a month on an individual plan, and hear it is going to $615.

I offer my personal experience and one pro and one con for me individually:

If the ACA had not been implemented, i would not even be able to easily get a plan. Or, if I did, the rate I was quoted back then was $1600 per month because of pre-existing conditions. I think Aetna denied me flat out. I had always had a group plan before and continuous coverage, so this was never an issue until 2012 or so when I came back to the 605. So yay, thanks to ACA I can get insurance, albeit expensive.

Here is my beef with ACA/Obamacare:

I cannot use the Marketplace , the set up is such that it would push me to Medicaid instead of a subsidy, because I have no earned income. How Does that make sense? It's Medicaid or nothing? I should be able to use the Marketplace without having them force me into an entitlement program. That is ludicrous. I have no earned income, but since I am choosing not to work, no way I should be on Medicaid... but they basically force some people into it. I refuse, so I just go thru an agent, and get no subsidy.

Here is a somewhat relevant article.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/health-care/item/17513-obamacare-forces-kids-into-medicaid

I don't want to be on Medicaid, I shouldn't even qualify imo, but if you want to use the marketplace you can't pay your way even if you want...they want you on the dole. Messed up.

Wow! Me too Mike, but I had a real job in 2008, so I was on a group plan then. I currently pay $500 plus a month on an individual plan, and hear it is going to $615.

If the ACA had not been implemented, i would not even be able to easily get a plan. Or, if I did, the rate I was quoted back then was $1600 per month because of pre-existing conditions. I think Aetna denied me flat out. I had always had a group plan before and continuous coverage, so this was never an issue until 2012 or so when I came back to the 605. So yay, thanks to ACA I can get insurance, albeit expensive.

I cannot use the Marketplace , the set up is such that it would push me to Medicaid instead of a subsidy, because I have no earned income. How Does that make sense? It's Medicaid or nothing? I should be able to use the Marketplace without having them force me into an entitlement program. That is ludicrous. I have no earned income, but since I am choosing not to work, no way I should be on Medicaid... but they basically force some people into it. I refuse, so I just go thru an agent, and get no subsidy.

http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/health-care/item/17513-obamacare-forces-kids-into-medicaid

I don't want to be on Medicaid, I shouldn't even qualify imo, but if you want to use the marketplace you can't pay your way even if you want...they want you on the dole. Messed up.

In some states who declined to create their own exchange you can get stuck making too much for medicaid and not enough to be able to buy on the exchange.  

There's nothing in theory wrong with using Medicaid, but they only changed it with the ACA act to remove the assets maximum.   Looked at putting my brother on there, but there was some talk of making people with assets pay back the gov't for using that so just bought him a plan direct from cigna  (it's actually the exact same plan i bought through the exchange so it really doesn't matter unless you are getting the subsidy)

In some states who declined to create their own exchange you can get stuck making too much for medicaid and not enough to be able to buy on the exchange.  

There's nothing in theory wrong with using Medicaid, but they only changed it with the ACA act to remove the assets maximum.   Looked at putting my brother on there, but there was some talk of making people with assets pay back the gov't for using that so just bought him a plan direct from cigna  (it's actually the exact same plan i bought through the exchange so it really doesn't matter unless you are getting the subsidy)

good point about making you pay back the benefits

apparently the wording is such that the us government can steal anyone's assets to recover the medicaid amounts, at any point in the future

just one of the 10,000 reasons that it's better to own gold/silver than a number on a screen

Report your income as such that you qualify,. That gets you insurance. If you are too low, you do not qualify for the subsidy and will have to pay the price of the insurance.

Report your income as such that you qualify,. That gets you insurance. If you are too low, you do not qualify for the subsidy and will have to pay the price of the insurance.

This would work if you don't want the subsidy, just say you make over 100k.  In that case though then it's the same as buying a plan from the insurer directly.

that would work for a year, then if she doesn't show that income on her tax return she's given the boot and pays back a chunk of the subsidy (maybe 2k of the 5k)

the other choice is showing 20k profit from gambling/ebay sales/whatever, as earned income on a tax return, taxes on that might only be 2-3k and it would provide a 5k or so subsidy

that would work for a year, then if she doesn't show that income on her tax return she's given the boot and pays back a chunk of the subsidy (maybe 2k of the 5k)

the other choice is showing 20k profit from gambling/ebay sales/whatever, as earned income on a tax return, taxes on that might only be 2-3k and it would provide a 5k or so subsidy

Every year, you have to report your income again. You just keep reporting an amount that makes you eligible. The intention of this stuff is not to deny people insurance. There are just some holes in the system. You just have to do what is necessary. There is no penalty for buying insurance and paying for it. Everybody is free to buy insurance.

I don't know why I even try. It will never change. We a seriously fucked.

Every year, you have to report your income again. You just keep reporting an amount that makes you eligible. The intention of this stuff is not to deny people insurance. There are just some holes in the system. You just have to do what is necessary. There is no penalty for buying insurance and paying for it. Everybody is free to buy insurance.

you can't say you make 40k, get a $300 a month subsidy, and then file a tax return with 100k of income (or 0k apparently)

No, if you are too low, they make you take Medicaid. If I report income that I don't have, I might have the IRS on my ass asking why I am not claiming it on a tax return. That is what I am currently doing. ...paying privately. I am using a an insurance broker. For the years I took care of mom, I received compensation but it wasn't "income "per se. It was deferred compensation in the form of additional interest in her house and gifting. So I was poverty level by their definition, but really anything but. Those years I didn't worry about a subsidy because I was well taken care of. Now, even when I go back to work, I will not be making the kind of money I once was, so would likely qualify for something subsidy wise.

It's like someone saying hey, I will take $20 worth of food stamps. Instead the government says no, you will take $800 worth of food stamps or you will get nothing at all.