Has anyone here ever sold their silver/gold/platinum stash?

WVU

coin shop right next door here buys everything for spot (or more)... some silver coins like the lunars they would pay me a couple bucks/ounce over spot if i sold to them... but ebay would still be better

problem with buying from coin shops in wisconsin is they charge sales tax, illinois doesn't

pawn shops are a terrible idea, as pointed out here.  most will try to rip you off, at best they will give you what the coin dealers would

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly.  Sounds like everyone else is saying CALL your coin shop and they'll tell you the price they will buy it right on the phone.  As long as you live in a populated are, there will probably be a few stores within 20 miles.

Before you think about saying you're going to go to the "we buy gold" stores...save yourself the time. 

Hopefully FISHEAD chimes in a few more times.  Will help people forget how big of an idiot WVU looks like in this thread.

dude what the fuck is your problem?  Pawn shops will not give you prices on silver over the phone.  None around here will, anyway.  They want to see the coins/bars before they give you an offer.  This isn't scrap silver dickwad.

dude what the fuck is your problem?  Pawn shops will not give you prices on silver over the phone.  None around here will, anyway.  They want to see the coins/bars before they give you an offer.  This isn't scrap silver dickwad.

You come on here asking a stupid question, people try to help you,   then you call people names and   insist upon doing the dumbest thing possible.  Are you, really, really stupid, or do you own a pawn shop?

And by the way, the pawn shops dont really want to see the product, they want to see how dumb you look. :laugh

You come on here asking a stupid question, people try to help you,   then you call people names and   insist upon doing the dumbest thing possible.  Are you, really, really stupid, or do you own a pawn shop?

The only asshole in here is Ted.  He is always an asshole.  I didn't ask a stupid question.  It seems no one really knows how much a pawn shop will pay.  I am going to find out.  What is the big fucking deal?  If you don't like this thread or my questions move the fuck on.

coin shop right next door here buys everything for spot (or more)... some silver coins like the lunars they would pay me a couple bucks/ounce over spot if i sold to them... but ebay would still be better

problem with buying from coin shops in wisconsin is they charge sales tax, illinois doesn't

pawn shops are a terrible idea, as pointed out here.  most will try to rip you off, at best they will give you what the coin dealers would

So I guess the coin shops mark them up a couple bucks when they sell them?  Pretty convenient for you to have a coin shop right next door.

I think people are just saying that no pawnshop is going to pay as much is a coin shop. I have sold American Eagle 1 ounce gold coins at a local coin shop. Can't remember what they paid...spot I think. I'm pretty sure they told me over the phone before I went down there.

I think people are just saying that no pawnshop is going to pay as much is a coin shop. I have sold American Eagle 1 ounce gold coins at a local coin shop. Can't remember what they paid...spot I think. I'm pretty sure they told me over the phone before I went down there.

I understand that pawn shops will pay less, but how much less is what I am curious about.  It seems no one here really knows, so what is the harm in finding out?  I called 3 different pawn shops several months ago and they refused to give me a price over the phone.  Even for standard American Eagles.

I understand that pawn shops will pay less, but how much less is what I am curious about. It seems no one here really knows, so what is the harm in finding out? I called 3 different pawn shops several months ago and they refused to give me a price over the phone. Even for standard American Eagles.

No "harm" it. I guess I don't see the point in it..I just guess I would t be curious enough to spend the time unless I was looking to sell and comparing.

What it might be nice for, is determining which shop pays the most for things in general if you can extrapolate, and plan to pawn other things in the future.

I understand that pawn shops will pay less, but how much less is what I am curious about.  It seems no one here really knows, so what is the harm in finding out?  I called 3 different pawn shops several months ago and they refused to give me a price over the phone.  Even for standard American Eagles.

lol.

And why do you think that is?

Ted, why are you still here?  

Just waiting to hear what you bought at the pawn shop, because ya know,  that's why they tell people on the phone to come in to get a price on something, when they 100% know what they'll be offering already.

Seems like a good strategy.

I'm going to call a pawn shop, see how much they'll offer me for a working Nintendo.  They'll tell me "no prices over the phone".  I'll bring the Nintendo in to get a price, not end up selling it to them, but they'll sell me on a cowboy hat.  Ya know, that's why pawn shops don't give prices on the phone,  so they can sell ya shit that you didn't realize you needed.

WVU, not everyone has rooms full of silver.

Most of the time when they tell someone to come in and get a price, I'm sure they strike a deal, because the person WANTS to sell, that's why they took the time to drive to the pawn shop. 

If a person is told 15 bucks on the phone for a silver coin, they might not come in and try and find somewhere else.

If a person is told come in for a price and the seller says "I'll be over in a couple hours"...Guy actually shows up, the pawn shop knows the guy WANTS to sell. 

They don't tell a hillbilly to come in for a price, thinking they'll be walking out buying a fucking boombox.  They tell them to come in for a price, knowing that the guy really wants to sell and likely when offered a couple bucks less, will take it, especially if it's the only option around.