Life insurance question

IAG

Lol...no it's not like that. A close friend in Denver has some debt. He is paying high interest I'm sure, and would like to work out something that would be beneficial for both of us. The problem is he is 52 and a really big guy. He has an active job and strong as an ox,but no denying he is highly obese as well. He does not have health insurance, so probably doesn't have regular physicals with blood work. His brother was just diagnosed with very late stage prostrate cancer and this understandably is adding to his stress.

He also rents my town home, so I think it could be argued I would have an insurable interest, but I don't know.

Might have a hard time qualifying for a policy, but I assume if it's for just the amount of loan and not millions of dollars, they might not be as stringent?

He would never stiff me, and would love to help him, but premature demise has to be a very real consideration, as I can't afford to just write off that kind of loss.

don't do it, the life insurance OR the loan

now you're gonna be collecting loan payments AND rent from the same guy... someone that is obese and (like everyone else) could be out of a job at any moment

do you want to deal with a friend living in your place that not only can't pay the rent, but can't pay you back the money he owes you either?

What is ht and wt

6'3 and don't know but best guess is 350? Could be more even idk...he used to be just big all over. Really sturdy, but last time I saw him had a huge gut, He's an electrician and on his feet all day, and he goes to gym and lifts, but he eats...a lot. Obviously.

don't do it, the life insurance OR the loan

now you're gonna be collecting loan payments AND rent from the same guy... someone that is obese and (like everyone else) could be out of a job at any moment

do you want to deal with a friend living in your place that not only can't pay the rent, but can't pay you back the money he owes you either?

Good point, I was thinking that if he lost his job it would be due to something that would qualify him for disability, but I guess plenty of scenarios which that would not be the case.

the life insurance premiums are gonna more than offset the difference in interest

and he's only paying high interest because he is broke and got into debt, how is that magically gonna change?

He makes 54k a year. The problem is his gf is a leech and hasn't worked in 2-3 years and he is covering the $1300 rent by himself, all utilities, and some of her things also. He is seriously the world's nicest guy and has done so much for me over the years. He might not even want to do something like this. I was just thinking of some way to help. Maybe I will point him towards Prosper.

Good point, I was thinking that if he lost his job it would be due to something that would qualify him for disability, but I guess plenty of scenarios which that would not be the case.

yeah and disability might be 20k/year, not much more than what would pay the rent/food/utilities

the numbers almost never make sense on people that are in debt, they got there because they spend more than they make, and that almost never changes

He makes 54k a year. The problem is his gf is a leech and hasn't worked in 2-3 years and he is covering the $1300 rent by himself, all utilities, and some of her things also. He is seriously the world's nicest guy and has done so much for me over the years. He might not even want to do something like this. I was just thinking of some way to help. Maybe I will point him towards Prosper.

54k after taxes is maybe 40k

so on a monthly basis he takes in $3300, pays 1300 in rent, that's 2k left/month which is hard for 1 person to live on, let alone him and his girlfriend AND paying off debt/interest

yeah and disability might be 20k/year, not much more than what would pay the rent/food/utilities

the numbers almost never make sense on people that are in debt, they got there because they spend more than they make, and that almost never changes

Yeah. Not a big deal.its not THAT much that his payments are killing him, but he will pay a bunch of interest. Wish he would lose that GF, but probably won't happen. He deserves better.

54k after taxes is maybe 40k

so on a monthly basis he takes in $3300, pays 1300 in rent, that's 2k left/month which is hard for 1 person to live on, let alone him and his girlfriend AND paying off debt/interest

See I think it would be easy for him to live on $2k if it were just him. He doesn't have any bad vices...he probably spends more on food than anything. The association pays cable, water and trash, and I pay the $250/month association fees. Not a big deal, was just thinking it would help me as well...peer lending to someone I trust as much or more than myself.

But you are right, I'm not going to offer it.

$1300??

HOW LONG before the place opens up?

Lol.He gets the friends and family discount. Wow. Rents much be a lot higher than I remember. My first apartment in Denver was downtown in luxury high-rise and it was $600/mo and that was considered high at the time lol.

Then again I haven't rented in 20 years.

I probably will be selling in next year or two unless I decide to move back.

See I think it would be easy for him to live on $2k if it were just him. He doesn't have any bad vices...he probably spends more on food than anything. The association pays cable, water and trash, and I pay the $250/month association fees. Not a big deal, was just thinking it would help me as well...peer lending to someone I trust as much or more than myself.

But you are right, I'm not going to offer it.

health insurance amount?  even if work pays half he might be out 400/month

car payment?  300-400/month at some point, if he has an older car it's gonna need repairs or die

cell phone?  another 100/month

there's almost 1000/month and he hasn't eaten or done anything yet

health insurance amount?  even if work pays half he might be out 400/month

car payment?  300-400/month at some point, if he has an older car it's gonna need repairs or die

cell phone?  another 100/month

there's almost 1000/month and he hasn't eaten or done anything yet

He doesn't have health insurance..car payment $200. Phone $100... electric $100 debt $200

IAG be honest, if the guy dropped his GF and 50 pounds would you be interested in him?

As a roommate only. We did date longgggg. ago for a year or so and I ended it. We were platonic roommates for like 15 years though, up until I came back here. Then he met the gf and she moved in. So to answer your question I would be interested in him as a roommate and best friend type, but that is all, regardless of situation.