Putting down your pet

IAG

Seems like I've seen this discussed on the forums throughout the years. I have read things like when they have no more joy. I don't know what that means. I don't know how you tell.

I finally got myself mentally prepared to put my 14 y.o. Cockatoo down, but he seemed perkier at the vet. He probably has liver cancer, but to know for sure would require expensive testing which I would not treat anyway.

All I know is I am mentally and physically exhausted. I am taken back to several years ago when I cared for mom. I can't do that again. I can't not do that again,

How do you know?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what does the vet say?

I tried with the two different doctors and didn't get a straight answer. I think it's a reasonable decision, but not an obvious one. For it to be an obvious decision would probably require the additional testing. He randomly stopped eating about 10 days ago. He will eat chicken and red meat, but none of his old go to use that he would normally gobble up quickly. It was strange. Sort of happened overnight. I took him in and they said his liver enzymes were very elevated and an X-ray showed enlarged liver lobe.

They suspected cancer or Cushing's disease. Had an ultrasound yesterday. Vet thinks probably liver cancer , but it is not definite at this point and has not spread anywhere if that is what it is. I was given pills to stimulate appetite and some other medications to try. He does not appear to be in pain at all, but doesn't do much but sleep and eat...but that has gone on for a while. He is diabetic and mostly blind and probably deaf.

I was almost hoping the ultrasound showed something definitive to make my decision easier. I never want him to get to a point where he is in pain at all, but I'm not sure it's time yet. He still wags his tail some, and can walk. Fok.

Is he moving around? Does he wag his tail? Appetite?

He is sleeping most the day but he can get up on his own all those sometimes it is difficult due to muscle atrophy. He will wag his tail if I am holding food. It has to be the right food though. With the right food he will eat and eat, but suddenly will not eat anything he used to,,,he has been on the appetite stimulant since Friday though and it seems to be better. At least I can get him to eat so I can give him insulin. Maybe I will take a video and see what you guys think. I guess in my head I have a vision of what a dying dog looks like and he isn't close, but sometimes one is too close to see things.

Doesn't help that my neighbor is a prolifer for who has extended that to animals and somewhat implies that I would be doing the wrong thing. I struggle with the finality. Every time I think about him being gone forever I break down. I had two dogs in Denver that needed to be put down, but I was living here at the time and my former roommate had to deal with all that, and make the decision. If he died in his sleep I would be sad, but so relieved I didn't have to make the decision. That is what is haunting me. I would have to be there...I couldn't not be there, and he would probably be wagging his tail as they stuck him with the needle because he does that when he gets his insulin because he gets a treat after, That would fucking kill me. I'm sobbing just typing this.

For those of you who have been through it, did you make an appointment or was it emergency/split second decision type of thing? I would feel like he was on death row if I made an appointment for next week.

interesting. depends on your financial situation i guess

give him extra belly rubs and attention for a few weeks, make his life great. if he gets worse maybe then it is time

good luck

I would do whatever if it meant possibly improving his quality of life.

What you said was exactly my plan, but he has to pee a lot so I'm up in the night with him a lot. It's exhausting. I also can't travel, but I feel guilty when I factor those things into the decision.

He is sleeping most the day but he can get up on his own all those sometimes it is difficult due to muscle atrophy. He will wag his tail if I am holding food. It has to be the right food though. With the right food he will eat and eat, but suddenly will not eat anything he used to,,,he has been on the appetite stimulant since Friday though and it seems to be better. At least I can get him to eat so I can give him insulin. Maybe I will take a video and see what you guys think. I guess in my head I have a vision of what a dying dog looks like and he isn't close, but sometimes one is too close to see things.

Doesn't help that my neighbor is a prolifer for who has extended that to animals and somewhat implies that I would be doing the wrong thing. I struggle with the finality. Every time I think about him being gone forever I break down. I had two dogs in Denver that needed to be put down, but I was living here at the time and my former roommate had to deal with all that, and make the decision. If he died in his sleep I would be sad, but so relieved I didn't have to make the decision. That is what is haunting me. I would have to be there...I couldn't not be there, and he would probably be wagging his tail as they stuck him with the needle because he does that when he gets his insulin because he gets a treat after, That would fucking kill me. I'm sobbing just typing this.

For those of you who have been through it, did you make an appointment or was it emergency/split second decision type of thing? I would feel like he was on death row if I made an appointment for next week.

Went through this a few years ago.  12-year-old golden with lymphoma.  He lived 6 months with cancer.  Was on chemo.  That, combined with other issues he had, such as arthritis, obviously made him less active.  But he was still a happy dog.  Would greet you, wag his tail, always had his appetite, etc.

His last day -- not moving, no response when we would pet him or call his name.  No response to food.  He was clearly suffering.  We called the vet and they sent someone out immediately to put him down.  No scheduling an appointment (he never would have made it that long anyway).  I'm sure most places offer this service.

It doesn't sound like your dog is at that point yet.

Went through this a few years ago.  12-year-old golden with lymphoma.  He lived 6 months with cancer.  Was on chemo.  That, combined with other issues he had, such as arthritis, obviously made him less active.  But he was still a happy dog.  Would greet you, wag his tail, always had his appetite, etc.

His last day -- not moving, no response when we would pet him or call his name.  No response to food.  He was clearly suffering.  We called the vet and they sent someone out immediately to put him down.  No scheduling an appointment (he never would have made it that long anyway).  I'm sure most places offer this service.

It doesn't sound like your dog is at that point yet.

He was just laying in his doggy bed sleeping. I try to rouse him with his name and a treat and he barely moved. Triedto get him to wag his tail. Nothing. He did eat the milk bone I gave him though...And I see he is no longer in his bed so he must have moved.

I don't know if they have an in home service or not here...something to look into. How was your dogs cancer diagnosed? When the vet started talking about poking holes in his stomach etc. to find answers for the sake of finding answers i tuned out.

I think I will try to get video of him at his best and worst in coming days and see what you guys think. I tend not to make decisions for fear of making the wrong one, so with something like this, I'm a wreck.

The face that you brought him to the vet and weren't able to make the decision then and there tells me that you know it's not time yet.

You're right. I mean what if it really isn't cancer? Doc seems fairly certain due to "patchy spots" on ultrasound. I look at those images and can't see anything or differentiate. I am terrible with physiology.All I know is his liver is huge, and his enzymes are off the chart. I think I will do what I can to manage him in the next couple weeks, and take him for repeat bloodwork in a few weeks and see if it's getting worse.

I would love to just spoil him and let him eat whatever he wants and that with his diabetes I really can't do that until I am really ready to say goodbye. I can't imagine having to make this decision about a relative.

Seems like I've seen this discussed on the forums throughout the years. I have read things like when they have no more joy. I don't know what that means. I don't know how you tell.

I finally got myself mentally prepared to put my 14 y.o. Cockatoo down, but he seemed perkier at the vet. He probably has liver cancer, but to know for sure would require expensive testing which I would not treat anyway.

All I know is I am mentally and physically exhausted. I am taken back to several years ago when I cared for mom. I can't do that again. I can't not do that again,

How do you know?

The answer to your question is if he is not progressing at all or even worse if he is regressing that's how you know.

You're right. I mean what if it really isn't cancer? Doc seems fairly certain due to "patchy spots" on ultrasound. I look at those images and can't see anything or differentiate. I am terrible with physiology.All I know is his liver is huge, and his enzymes are off the chart. I think I will do what I can to manage him in the next couple weeks, and take him for repeat bloodwork in a few weeks and see if it's getting worse.

I would love to just spoil him and let him eat whatever he wants and that with his diabetes I really can't do that until I am really ready to say goodbye. I can't imagine having to make this decision about a relative.

Sorry to say IAG but you'll never "be ready" to say goodbye it's just something you have to do, to put the poor guy out of his misery. It's a tough day believe me but won't be long until everytime you think of him he brings a smile to your face. The tears turn to smiles faster than ya think. Such is life.

Sorry to say IAG but you'll never "be ready" to say goodbye it's just something you have to do, to put the poor guy out of his misery. It's a tough day believe me but won't be long until everytime you think of him he brings a smile to your face. The tears turn to smiles faster than ya think. Such is life.

This is very true. Don't think I'll ever get another dog though. I had decided that a while back due to not wanting the responsibility any longer, but now I have another reason.

This is very true. Don't think I'll ever get another dog though. I had decided that a while back due to not wanting the responsibility any longer, but now I have another reason.

I feel the same way. Maybe later in life if I ever have kids but 14 years is usually long enough. Put mine down when she was 14 as well. Man those 14 years went fast though..