Putting down your pet

IAG

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dog means the absolute world to me. She went through some issues a while back and the thought of putting her down crosssd my mind briefly. Just imagining her not being there when I go to sleep or wake up everyday turned me into a mess. Luckily she's doing just fine now, just slower than she used to be. Her mixed breed life expectancy is 8-11 years, she's pushing 9 so I know it's coming. I can only say what a few others have said; give them the best few weeks of their life, let them eat the food the want, take them on car rides. Those memories will help ease the pain when it's time to say goodbye.

I will say this though, if you take her/him somewhere to be put down, you need to stay in the room. If you leave, they'll look for you. Don't let their last memory be wondering where their dad is.

My dog means the absolute world to me. She went through some issues a while back and the thought of putting her down crosssd my mind briefly. Just imagining her not being there when I go to sleep or wake up everyday turned me into a mess. Luckily she's doing just fine now, just slower than she used to be. Her mixed breed life expectancy is 8-11 years, she's pushing 9 so I know it's coming. I can only say what a few others have said; give them the best few weeks of their life, let them eat the food the want, take them on car rides. Those memories will help ease the pain when it's time to say goodbye.

I will say this though, if you take her/him somewhere to be put down, you need to stay in the room. If you leave, they'll look for you. Don't let their last memory be wondering where their dad is.

I'm so glad your little girl is doing better. That's when it hits me. He drives me crazy when he barks at night, but the silence will be deafening when he's gone. The thought of him just gone is impossible to imagine.

I will be there at the end. I know that. I would never be able to not be there. I will be sobbing uncontrollably and he may pick up on that, but I will be there..holding his little paw.

Strangely enough, since I started this thread, he's looks the best that I've seen him in days. He's hungry, still won't eat his normal food, but good sign he has an appetite. Tailwagging still going on when he thinks he's getting people food.

DDPD going in for another ultrasound. Saw some blood spots on his pee the other day and vet said she missed his bladder on the first one She will we do for free.

On the upside, I have found that Yank's 3 ounce relish jars are the perfect size for collecting canine urine samples.

DDPD going in for another ultrasound. Saw some blood spots on his pee the other day and vet said she missed his bladder on the first one She will we do for free.

On the upside, I have found that Yank's 3 ounce relish jars are the perfect size for collecting canine urine samples.

Good luck IAG

The relish jar proved to be effective in urine transport. White blood cells are 20 times too high, so I have another antibiotic. Ultrasound showed possible bladder cancer as well.

Still no indication of pain.

Also got some doggy Xanax for the late afternoon Sundowner barking.

Will do these rounds of antibiotics, repeat urine and blood testing, and make a decision from there I guess.

The minute there is evidence of pain I'm making the call. There are no vets that make euthanasia housecalls for the most part around here she said. I'm not sure I would want that to be my last image anyway.

This thread really gets to me

Sometimes I can talk about it without sobbing. Sometimes I just break down a few words in. I am preparing myself however.

This dog has never done a bad thing in his entire life ever. Loved unconditionally and loyally. Has been with me longer than any other animal or boyfriend.

Sounds sick, but I've been watching dog being put down videos on YouTube to mentally prepare. Dogs are fine,,,but watching the owner's raw pain is so painful to see...I would challenge anyone to watch that and not tear up if not full on bawl.

Strange to me the number of people who have filmed it and put it on YouTube. Maybe it's cathartic to them somehow.

IAG, you can take great solace in that your pet has led a wonderful life AND also given you great joy

Thanks Fisher. When I was growing up I was not allowed to have a dog. My dad had grown up on a farm,and believed that is where dogs belonged....not in the house. I was told when I was an adult I could have as many dogs as I wanted...ha.

On Easter Sunday after my dad passed in 2003, I found Pogo walking in the street outside my home in Denver. He was freshly groomed smart as a whip, and without any identification. I searched everywhere for weeks for his owner to no avail. It was like he had fallen out of the sky. We couldn't believe no one ever claimed him...and we tried everywhere. From the beginning I thought it was a final gift from my dad.

And here he is back in the house that allowed no dogs. ...ha

hope everything is ok iag.

Thanks. I had wrapped my head around putting him down this week, but he is not there yet. Maybe these antibiotics will do something though vet couldn't figure out why his WBC count was so high when he had been on one antibiotic for a week already. ..she gave him a new one for poss UTI...we will see. also saw a poss mass on bladder today.

If he wasn't completely deaf (now confirmed) and mostly blind, I might consider cancer testing and poss even treatment, but his quality of life would still be bad . I would have always thought losing sight would be worst than losing hearing, and now I do not know. I think deafness is actually worse,,,at least for a dog.

Anyway, thank you. Everything as good as can be expected....actually probably better,

Thanks. I had wrapped my head around putting him down this week, but he is not there yet. Maybe these antibiotics will do something though vet couldn't figure out why his WBC count was so high when he had been on one antibiotic for a week already. ..she gave him a new one for poss UTI...we will see. also saw a poss mass on bladder today.

If he wasn't completely deaf (now confirmed) and mostly blind, I might consider cancer testing and poss even treatment, but his quality of life would still be bad . I would have always thought losing sight would be worst than losing hearing, and now I do not know. I think deafness is actually worse,,,at least for a dog.

Anyway, thank you. Everything as good as can be expected....actually probably better,

Sounds like a very sad time for you IAG. Things will get better ! Hang in there !