OT: Coin Flip

BarryRunSome

I literally just noticed this for the first time yesterday

How come when the team that wins the flip chooses to defer to the 2nd half, the ref asks the other team if they want the ball? They don't have a choice. Is that a trick question? The team that wins the flip isn't deferring the choice. They won the flip. Why would they do that. They are deferring to receive the 2nd half kickoff.

Is that how Chaz fucked up that game and the other team received the opening kickoff and 2nd half kickoff?

I never noticed this before. Why does the ref even ask?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Deferring to the 2h means you are giving up your right to make the call in the 1h, and are receiving the right to make the call in the 2h.

By deferring, you are giving the other team the option in the 1h.  Therefore, they ask the team if they want the ball as a formality.  Then the other team gets to decide which goal they want to defend.  

Deferring to the 2h means you are giving up your right to make the call in the 1h, and are receiving the right to make the call in the 2h.

By deferring, you are giving the other team the option in the 1h. Therefore, they ask the team if they want the ball as a formality. Then the other team gets to decide which goal they want to defend.

Wrong. Why would you defer the choice? You won the flip. So you're being given the choice and you don't want it?

Wrong. Why would you defer the choice? You won the flip. So you're being given the choice and you don't want it?

No barry.  The way I described it is exactly the way it works.  

You are asking why they would defer?  Well, you would have to ask the coach that.  Some teams would rather start on defense and get the ball in the 2nd half.  Its a strategy many teams use. 

No barry.  The way I described it is exactly the way it works.  

You are asking why they would defer?  Well, you would have to ask the coach that.  Some teams would rather start on defense and get the ball in the 2nd half.  Its a strategy many teams use.

You just proved my point. They aren't deferring the choice. They are deferring the option to receive the ball first. That's exactly what I'm saying

How did Texas kick off both halves a few years ago?

Someone most likely fucked up.  Every once in a while you will see a team give up the right to receive a ball in OT.  Very rare though.  Usually only happens in low scoring games when weather is a huge factor.  Some coaches may say that field position is more important.  Bill Belichick did this a few yrs ago and it backfired on him. 

unreal how these idiots make some thing as simple as a coin flip a cluster fuk of confusion

there should be no defer bullshit

your choices are either [1] to kick or [2] to receive

Defer is to kick. They're not deferring the choice

So why ask the other team if they want the ball? They don't have a choice, but if they say no, they kick both halves

Why ask that question? These kids are dumb as a box of rocks. Can't believe more teams don't fuck it up. Fucking libs

No coach that can dress himself without assistance would ever choose that option

I was an assistant on a team where our HC actually did this. Wind was blowing so hard in one direction that he thought this was smart. none of the assistants including myself agreed with his decision.

if I'm not mistaken a team can defer both halves and they get direction they want both halves. Right or wrong Sol?

You cannot defer both halves.  If you defer in the 1h, then you get 1st choice in the 2h.  Your choices in the 2h?  To kick or receive.  Or you could choose what goal to defend.  Those are your 2 choices.  By deferring in the 1h, one could pick what goal they wanted to defend in the 1h.  Thus making them kick both halves.  

I think this is where you are confused.  And wrong.  Deferring is not "to kick".  Deferring is giving the other team first choice in the first half.  By doing so, you get first choice in the 2h.

Absolutely not. Deferring is kicking. Why would you win a flip and not choose the option you want?

Deferring to the 2nd half is kicking in the first. Not giving the other team the choice