How poker pros are bested by artificial intelligence

plommer

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2017/02/04/how-poker-pros-are-bested-by-artificial-intelligence.html

PITTSBURGH—Twelve days into the strangest poker tournament of their lives, Jason Les and his companions returned to their hotel, browbeaten and exhausted. Huddled over a pile of tacos, they strategized, as they had done every night. With about 60,000 hands played — and 60,000 to go — they were losing badly to an unusual opponent: a computer program called Libratus, which was up nearly $800,000 in chips.

They beat the same program last year.

Also, the controlled way they played it (restarting stacks, limited bet sizing,etc) don't exactly mimic real poker. I'd have been more interesting given the results if the program actually played some of the best in the world. Of the 4 guys that played, only one of them (Dong Kim)is considered a top NLHU player and he was the only one that finished in the black.

Still scary in the grand scheme of things but bots have been beating online poker for millions a year for a long time

Eventually computers will smash the poker players. Just like it has in chess

Heads up, yes very soon.

6 max and full ring will take many many more years. They decision trees for some something like full ring plo would take some much computing power I'd be insane.

The program they ran for this match was giant super computer and HUNL is orders of magnitude similar than full ring hunl or any form of plo.

Dumbass poker players probably sat there with sunglasses for 10 minutes between each play trying to bluff the computer.

Yeah, I don't watch much poker on TV, but the times I do I have seen the players with absolutely nothing sit there and "think" for several minutes before tossing their cards.  The announcers point out that there is nothing for them to be thinking about - yet the player holds up the game for nothing.

Am I missing something?  Does this time-waste on an obvious fold actually give him an edge on any following hands?

I just don't see how it can have any effect later in the game.  If the other players could see that he doesn't have anything to "think" about, he could be trying to tilt the other players with the time-wasting, but the other players don't see his cards.