House healthcare vote today.

IAG

I don't define high deductible. The govt does. I believe it is $2,500 minimum. But the Bronze affordable plans are $5,000. Before ObamaCare, I bought a $5,000 plan. Those plans are now $6,000. And when Trump does his work, I will probably have to go up to $10,000 which are not now allowed.

The problem with high deductible plans is they are portfolio protection for the wealthy. If you have no assets to protect, there is no reason to buy one.

To me it looks like it's 1300 for an individual which to me seems like a very LOW deductible especially when paired with a $1300 max out of pocket. at a cost of less than 200 per month I think that's an overly generous plan.

If someone made 15k a year, deductible would be 600 per year with 600 max out of pocket....premium maybe 50 a month? I think the poor need to be protected and be able to afford coverage, but this is extreme in my opinion. If they get rid of extreme cost sharing benefits and tweak some other things maybe ACA would t have to take such a toll on those not getting the tax credits.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can never please everyone. Every single Republican ran on repealing obamacare. The American people gave them the House, Senate and Presidency to do just that. Yes people will lose out but as the great Obama once said..." elections have consequences "

Fucking repeal it

You can never please everyone. Every single Republican ran on repealing obamacare. The American people have them the House, Senate and Presidency to do just that.

Fucking repeal it

I voted for Trump in large part because I wanted it repealed, but replacement was unknown.....now that I've seen it, would rather see ACA stay in place til this could be better examined and modified....feels rushed and not thought thru to me.

I voted for Trump in large part because I wanted it repealed, but replacement was unknown.....now that I've seen it, would rather see ACA stay in place til this could be better examined and modified....feels rushed and not thought thru to me.

I agree it does seem rushed but these idiots had 8 years to come up with a bill.

To me it looks like it's 1300 for an individual which to me seems like a very LOW deductible especially when paired with a $1300 max out of pocket. at a cost of less than 200 per month I think that's an overly generous plan.

If someone made 15k a year, deductible would be 600 per year with 600 max out of pocket....premium maybe 50 a month? I think the poor need to be protected and be able to afford coverage, but this is extreme in my opinion. If they get rid of extreme cost sharing benefits and tweak some other things maybe ACA would t have to take such a toll on those not getting the tax credits.

That is a very low deductible. There is no deductible like that unless you are under 30 I don't think  It would be very generous for a person 40 years old. It would be a waste of money for a person 22.

A $5000 deductible for you and me costs $300 per month before subsidy so those numbers are not real world.

That is a very low deductible. There is no deductible like that unless you are under 30. I don't think It would be very generous for a person 40 years old. It would be a waste of money for a person 22.

Thru ACA there is. At least in the 605. It's a silver plan.

Right but Obamacare doesn't limit on wealthy. Obamacare they got no help due to wealth,,new plan will be helped by age as income not considered. I dk know all the ins and outs but one of the biggest arguments for the new plan is to to stop things like the 400 percent premium increases since inception

The main reason Obamacare is struggling, is because it has been sabotaged and gutted by some dirty republican Congressman. Google Marco Rubio/Obamacare/risk corridors.

If you build a new house and the roof starts leaking, you don't burn down the house. You fix the roof.

You can never please everyone. Every single Republican ran on repealing obamacare. The American people gave them the House, Senate and Presidency to do just that. Yes people will lose out but as the great Obama once said..." elections have consequences "

Fucking repeal it

Is this your position if the Dems win in 2020 as a result of the repeal or would you rather keep ObamaCare? Are you willing to take your chances?

$1,500 deductible for $200??? Where are you seeing this? Is this on the South Dakota exchange? You can buy this plan?

Well it is tied to your income, but yes if you made 20k per year, your deductible would be 1300 with 1300 out of pocket max....premium about $160 per month. If you made 15k per year, premium and out of pocket max max $600 with $50 per month premium.

That is what I mean when I say, I think the benefits are too generous in some of the ACA plans. It makes no sense because you can make too LITTLE to qualify for ACA, but not be eligible for Medicaid...those people are screwes. But if you make a little more you are given a better insurance plan than most working people can get. Agree there needs to be help, but $600 max per year and everything paid with premium of $100 per month or less? Might as well just have Medicaid. And many of the people who would qualify for those plans are the ones who are sick and can't work so they are raking in benefits with an obscenely low premium. In some cases probably to their advantage not to work.

This is normally a $4000 deductible plan.

I just there has to be middle ground. I don't want to pay $1600 monthly for a 5-10k deductible plan, but I don't feel right getting the Cadillac insurance plan when I'm choosing to take time off. So right now i am not taking the full subsidy I could, but when tax time comes around will I put in a claim for the full tax credit? Probably. I did what I felt was the correct thing in voting to repeal even though it definitely benefits me, but if it remains in place I will utilize it like anyone uses the tax laws to their advantage. It just feels weird.

Well it is tied to your income, but yes if you made 20k per year, your deductible would be 1300 with 1300 out of pocket max....premium about $160 per month. If you made 15k per year, premium and out of pocket max max $600 with $50 per month premium.

That is what I mean when I say, I think the benefits are too generous in some of the ACA plans. It makes no sense because you can make too LITTLE to qualify for ACA, but not be eligible for Medicaid...those people are screwes. But if you make a little more you are given a better insurance plan than most working people can get. Agree there needs to be help, but $600 max per year and everything paid with premium of $100 per month or less? Might as well just have Medicaid. And many of the people who would qualify for those plans are the ones who are sick and can't work so they are raking in benefits with an obscenely low premium. In some cases probably to their advantage not to work.

This is normally a $4000 deductible plan.

I just there has to be middle ground. I don't want to pay $1600 monthly for a 5-10k deductible plan, but I don't feel right getting the Cadillac insurance plan when I'm choosing to take time off. So right now i am not taking the full subsidy I could, but when tax time comes around will I put in a claim for the full tax credit? Probably. I did what I felt was the correct thing in voting to repeal even though it definitely benefits me, but if it remains in place I will utilize it like anyone uses the tax laws to their advantage. It just feels weird.

Why do you think they are too generous? If you make 25K and have no assets, why the hell are you going to spend $160 on health insurance? Better to keep the $160 and go bankrupt. You are looking at this from the point of view of a person with assets to protect. If you have no money, you have a different perspective. It is the people without money that are causing the problems.

I am assuming you are looking at plan cost after the subsidy and not without subsidy. If you change your income level, you will probably see the real cost of the plan is significantly more.

Lol...yes. Just responded to that effect...the non subsidized deductible is $4000. Maybe even give people a break on the premium, but I don't understand giving a break on the deductible. Healthcare providers will generally set people up on smaller monthly payments if they need them. I don't think the answer is just to eliminate all bills. Maybe lower the premium is to ensure they can keep their health insurance, but lowering deductible makes no sense, it's not like you have to pay that before you can get treatment.

Lol...yes. Just responded to that effect...the non subsidized deductible is $4000. Maybe even give people a break on the premium, but I don't understand giving a break on the deductible. Healthcare providers will generally set people up on smaller monthly payments if they need them. I don't think the answer is just to eliminate all bills. Maybe lower the premium is to ensure they can keep their health insurance, but lowering deductible makes no sense, it's not like you have to pay that before you can get treatment.

The deductibles make the insurance worthless. Why pay for something you aren't going to use? After Trump, you will not even get a doctor visit. If you have no money, why donate it to an insurance company?

Why do you think they are too generous? If you make 25K and have no assets, why the hell are you going to spend $160 on health insurance? Better to keep the $160 and go bankrupt. You are looking at this from the point of view of a person with assets to protect. If you have no money, you have a different perspective. It is the people without money that are causing the problems.

You're right I am. And maybe I've paid $500 a month for too long that $160 seems like robbery...but I believe even in my many years one group I paid more than that.

I don't know. I felt better about ACA going away when I thought there was a safety net for the truly poor who had no savings. On the other hand I do agree with Cop to some extent on some having to cover other people's issus....I always thought I should get a break on property taxes since I have no kids....lol.... I guess it's in the best interest of the country to have a healthy, educated workforce though.

My view is also tainted by age. When I was right out of college and working for $1500/month I remember thinking I didn't need insurance as I was young and healthy and felt couldn't afford/didn't need it. My dad said in no uncertain terms that I would never be without insurance and he "subsidized" (ha) my health insurance for a while until I was making more money. I do forget what it's like sometimes to be younger and to feel broke, and I can understand the temptation to go without, especially if money is tight and deductibles are high. Once you've had a major medical issue though, like picking up suitcase wrong and needing surgery, you can't imagine not having it. I suppose first time around there is bankruptcy for those who gamble and have a catastrophe.

Looks like after all that, vote cancelled.

The fact that the Republicans couldn't agree shows how fucked up the Insurance Industry is. 

The Democrats did a shitty job with Obamacare, but if the Republicans were smart they would blow all the insurance industry up, but they don't want to fuck over all their rich insurance bigwig donors. 

The correct answer is always the simplest

The industry is rigged if you can't make it simple.  

You're right I am. And maybe I've paid $500 a month for too long that $160 seems like robbery...but I believe even in my many years one group I paid more than that.

I don't know. I felt better about ACA going away when I thought there was a safety net for the truly poor who had no savings. On the other hand I do agree with Cop to some extent on some having to cover other people's issus....I always thought I should get a break on property taxes since I have no kids....lol.... I guess it's in the best interest of the country to have a healthy, educated workforce though.

Yeah. Biggest problem with all this is people make a lot of assumptions and don't know the first thing about it because they do not buy the policies. People also want to believe in their little perfect worlds where things ought to work a certain way. So nothing changes until those perfect worlds come tumbling to the ground which this one is in the process of.