New Healthcare Bill passed in the House ..not good for those with pre-existing conditions.

IAG

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool.

Did you know it also exempts Congressmen plans from having essential benefits no longer covered.

Don't know how you can support a bill that gives Congressmen something it takes away from everyone else.

I don't. That is fucked up. Can't remember but I think Obama exempted them from something also.

Frankly, the solution is to allow ins co's to deny coverage to people with pre-existing conditions, all the healthy people would get affordable coverage and the rest could be put in some kind of high risk pool(not free) but with govt subsidies.

So why would a healthy person purchase coverage then.

How much? I'd pay a lot for a plan that covered everything. They don't exist in the individual market.

Not sure. I think I remember my employer sending us a letter about what our health benefits cost them. Think it was like $17,000 ? Could be wrong.

So why would a healthy person purchase coverage then.

For the same reason people buy everything else, a reasonable price for decent coverage, most people would be happy to pay $150-200 a month just in case(that's a little more than a phone or cable), it's when it hits $500 plus people start saying WTF am I paying for.

Not sure. I think I remember my employer sending us a letter about what our health benefits cost them. Think it was like $17,000 ? Could be wrong.

That's for family coverage(probably), where i work single is about $500, family $1200, co pays something like 80%, I'll have to pay the whole thing when i cobra.

It would return to like it was before, people who needed it, bought it. the price was reasonable, you could find a plan that suited your budget/health needs.

lolerz.   my plan now is stil 80% of what it was the year before aca enacted.   Even after going up 25%

Hard for me to make comparisons as I was on a group plan my entire life. Then after companymerger, I went on Cobra which ended right before ACA took effect...as Mike said, you get the benefit of coverage, but you have to pay full premium. I receivedthe benefit of ACA PEC provisions while on a private insurance with no subsidy the first 3-4 years. was still paying 500 a month. This year I took the subsidy, and plan to get everything done that needs to get done before I am likely go back to paying 500 a month or more.

Unlike Rito, I never had an individual plan until right when ACA came into effect. I did apply (when denied and got outrageous quotes) but was saved by the bell. Timing could not have been better actually.

I just remember being stunned being told that I could not get insurance because I had had back surgery, and was on antidepressants when I had been so careful to never have any sort of lapse ever....even when it wasn't always financially desirable.

The Affordable Care Act sought to correct this problem, but it created a new problem in doing so. Under the ACA, people with pre-existing conditions can’t be denied coverage or charged more for coverage than healthy people. Insurers have to treat every applicant the same in terms of medical history, with the exception of smoking, a habit that insurers can still charge higher premiums for. This solution allowed millions of people to sign up for affordable health insurance for the first time, but there was a catch.

Suppose that after a flood destroyed your home, you were legally allowed to buy flood insurance the next day. You call your home insurance company, sign up for coverage, and then immediately file your first claim for damages. The same thing started happening once people with pre-existing conditions were able to purchase health insurance without medical underwriting. Insurance companies started losing money because they had to cover a sicker beneficiary base than they had anticipated.

The government assumed that more healthy people would sign up to balance out the influx of sicker participants, but that didn’t happen, primarily because the incentive was gone to buy health insurance in the first place. After all, if you can buy coverage after you have a problem, why should you waste money each month on insurance that you won’t use? The individual mandate, which forced everyone to buy coverage under threat of a tax penalty, wasn’t strong enough to motivate young and healthy individuals to buy health plans. The system started collapsing, evidenced by astronomical premium increases for 2017 in much of the country.

Why don't they just prohibit a Chapter 7 for medical debt if you don't have insurance and it can be showed you had the means. I would think that might be somewhat of an incentive.

Too many people, as several have mentioned, use that as their free insurance.