Gentlemen, I need advice.

ERBtheGREAT

Ok this may sound funny but I've never bought a car from a lot or dealership. Always bought off family, etc.

Within the next few weeks I'm going to go looking for a 2011 BMW. I'm serious about buying and already have my Honda sold for 8k when I get my new car. I'm looking to spend around 30-35k for my new car.

Now here's my issue. They see a 26 year old kid roll in to their lot with a Honda Civic, will let me test drive 30-35k beamers? If they don't take me serious do I show them a chunk of my savings account on my phone that could cover the cost of the car?

Never had to think about this but the day is coming soon and I want to be prepared. Any tips to try to get them down on the price, etc? I know some sharps on here probably have some pointers when it comes to saving money!

Guest ChrisHarvard

Go alone, don't take any chicks with you. And be an asshole when it comes to talking money. Don't be their friend, be a fucking asshole. Whatever they say, take 3k off what they say. And don't be afraid to walk away. There is hundreds of dealerships that will work with you. Tell them that.

Guest ChrisHarvard

Also do not tell them your price range just tell them what you want. Let them say how much it cost. Then talk them down. If they ask any personal shit tell them to mind their own business and show you the inventory. If they give you any shit ask them if there is another salesman you can talk to because you don't want to do business with him.

They'll let you drive whatever you want. No worries there. I test drove a $200k+ Benz last time I went to the dealership for something. They aren't going to ask to see your bank account or anything like that.

Since you're buying a used car, just do your due diligence and know what comparable cars go for. Shit, just pull out your phone and look it up if need be while you're there.

When it comes time to pay for it, you figure out the financing. The key is to negotiate the price BEFORE letting them know you plan to finance it.

Guest ChrisHarvard
And don't let them try and give you just four tires. Make sure they give you a 5th tire also' date=' NOT a doughnut temporary tire.[/quote']

Sorry I didn't really read what you wrote, I just skimmed it and saw buying a BMW. If you're buying used than you're probably not going to get a 5th tire included.

You dont show them anything, you're not on trial, they know that a ton of people with money dont look like it, . You walk in and ask to test ride a car, they'll ride along but that doesn't matter, keep all talk on the price of the car, not your payment, they will try real hard to get you to talk payment, first you decide on the price, then you talk years, then the payments(based on interest rate) take care of themselves.

Go when it is slow. There will be people sitting on their hands waiting to help you and a lot of times they'll cut the bull shit because they want to be the one who made the only sale of the day.

Pick a number and stay close to it. Don't give your true number the first time they ask and don't go straight from your first number to your true number. Play the game a little.

If you can wait a few months, you'll save thousands of dollars on inventory they need to unload before the new year, but this will lose you some selection. It is like shopping from the Clearance aisle.

Don't go for a young guy. They're all ambitious and don't give a fuck and not as easy to cave. Take one of the old guys who looks like he's been there for 30 years and hasn't sold a car in 27. They're just trying to pay their kids college and finish off the mortgage. To them, a small commission is always better than no commission.

Bring something to do. Buying a car involves a lot of annoying sitting.

The other thing car dealers try is asking what you want to pay per month. They will get you a six year loan hoping the lower payment will make you buy. Make sure to get in writing the amount you would be paying back in interest if you chose to go that route. I put 18,000 down on an vehicle and my payment is still well over 400 per month. 3.375 percent.

Ok this may sound funny but I've never bought a car from a lot or dealership. Always bought off family, etc.

Within the next few weeks I'm going to go looking for a 2011 BMW. I'm serious about buying and already have my Honda sold for 8k when I get my new car. I'm looking to spend around 30-35k for my new car.

Now here's my issue. They see a 26 year old kid roll in to their lot with a Honda Civic, will let me test drive 30-35k beamers? If they don't take me serious do I show them a chunk of my savings account on my phone that could cover the cost of the car?

Never had to think about this but the day is coming soon and I want to be prepared. Any tips to try to get them down on the price, etc? I know some sharps on here probably have some pointers when it comes to saving money!

Go to true car.com for an accurate price

Know or at least have an Idea of the price of the vehicle you're buying, when I bought my last truck, they said 625 for a payment. I told them that I had it priced out online and was quoted at 575. They immediately matched that, really without a question, they just said "yes you're correct, that's what it comes out too"

So know that a 30K loan will be 500 or so a month, so when you ask them what the payments will be per month, don't let them somehow add money in there and tell you 525 a month.

Get a price from your bank for the loan if the interest rates are better than the car dealer is offering.

Just be confident if you have the car picked out that you want, be specific and if you sense them selling you a load a shit, then let them know you've looked elsewhere and have prices and know what it should be.

Know or at least have an Idea of the price of the vehicle you're buying, when I bought my last truck, they said 625 for a payment. I told them that I had it priced out online and was quoted at 575. They immediately matched that, really without a question, they just said "yes you're correct, that's what it comes out too"

So know that a 30K loan will be 500 or so a month, so when you ask them what the payments will be per month, don't let them somehow add money in there and tell you 525 a month.

Get a price from your bank for the loan if the interest rates are better than the car dealer is offering.

Just be confident if you have the car picked out that you want, be specific and if you sense them selling you a load a shit, then let them know you've looked elsewhere and have prices and know what it should be.

Have my current car sold for 8k when I get my new one. So that's ~27k left. Probably put down 12k that I've been saving in a seperate account for a car, so I'll be looking around ~15k left in payments if I decide not to pay it off cash. Make around 50k a year and I'm not even dipping into my main bank account so I don't think this is a big mistake to buy a nice car.

The end of the month is best. A salesman may need to make his quota.

When you enter, ask the salesman if he has the power to accept your offer or does he have to consult with a boss. If he says yes, ask to deal with the boss. He will say he can deal. This takes away his higher-authority. See movie Fargo.

Do not let him get you talking. I had one ask me what color I wanted when he did not have the power options I wanted. He will try to close on little things. If a new girlfriend sort of doesn't want to stay over, hold up two packages of toothbrushes, then ask her if she warts the red or blue one. Same principle.

I took a negotiation course. It had 70 flash cards, CDs for the car and a video. Great for everyone. Had "gambits" like the nibble. After you get a good price, ask for one more thing like a trailer hitch or whatever.

Great how-to on youtube.com

I'd go for something cheaper. 50k a year financing a 35k car and paying rent doesn't leave as much of a cushion as you'd think. If you're hell bent on a Beemer, go for a 2009 with a few more miles and you'll save another 5k minimum. Chicks won't even know the difference.

I agree with Harvard about not being friendly. Car salesman are like sharks and if they smell blood they will pull all the tricks they can on you. If you are a jerk, they will show you respect. Human nature. They want to make a sale and will do what they can to make you happy. If you go in happy, you already did the job for them.