With Boat a few hours from death I'm now accepting applications for his job here

Yanks

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion they're saying this guy's got good health insurance let's do this $20,000 outpatient surgery on him good for the bottom line

Lol, so I was in USA with no health insurance.  They said you need to do a cath.  I said how much, they said we don't know somewhere between 15k and 30k.  I laughed.

Went to Colombia and my insurance company did it there in a nicer hospital and billed me $6.50 

Lol, so I was in USA with no health insurance.  They said you need to do a cath.  I said how much, they said we don't know somewhere between 15k and 30k.  I laughed.

Went to Colombia and my insurance company did it there in a nicer hospital and billed me $6.50 

would you live in Colombia? 

What is stopping you from living there? I have heard a lot of good things, but also some security concerns; the cost of living seems to be very small, and your money goes a long way. 

would you live in Colombia? 

What is stopping you from living there? I have heard a lot of good things, but also some security concerns; the cost of living seems to be very small, and your money goes a long way. 

I lived there for 8 years.  I will live there again someday.  Daughters in 2nd grade here so moving back now is kind of impossible.

There's very little security concerns in the nice parts of big cities (other than what you'd have in any big city).

I lived there for 8 years. I will live there again someday. Daughters in 2nd grade here so moving back now is kind of impossible.

There's very little security concerns in the nice parts of big cities (other than what you'd have in any big city).

I've read that Colombia has been considered a hot spot for expats for a few years now, is this still the case? Have also seen that Panama and Nicaragua are seeing an increase of Americans.

I've read that Colombia has been considered a hot spot for expats for a few years now, is this still the case? Have also seen that Panama and Nicaragua are seeing an increase of Americans.

Yea the # of expats in Colombia has gone up exponentially every year for the last decade, though it was starting from almost 0.

I lived there for 8 years.  I will live there again someday.  Daughters in 2nd grade here so moving back now is kind of impossible.

What about a little further out? I imagine not a lot of security concerns in the smaller towns either - say living somewhere like La Naveta; a short drive to Bogata. Mainly because crime tends to fester near money and there's not a lot of money out there.

The cost of living is enticing; could work a US job from home there and the money would go really far. 

Schools much better here than there? Even than the private schools? 

I never would have considered something like that, but it's really not that far: similar flight time as from the Mid-west to Seattle.

Also wouldn't mind somewhere like Cartagena; not sure on the safety there but imagine it's pretty good. Kind of prefer the highlands because the weather is more moderate, and like the mountain scene for hiking, but being on the ocean wouldn't be terrible.

Spanish isn't very good right now.

What about a little further out? I imagine not a lot of security concerns in the smaller towns either - say living somewhere like La Naveta; a short drive to Bogata. Mainly because crime tends to fester near money and there's not a lot of money out there.

The cost of living is enticing; could work a US job from home there and the money would go really far. 

Schools much better here than there? Even than the private schools? 

That area north of Bogota is super safe.  There's a ton of money out there though.  Don't know about La Naveta but looks just north of Cajica which is just past Chia.  I looked at a few houses in Chia about 8 years ago.   Both those are great little towns that feel like small picturesque Colombian towns but they are really more like rich suburbs of Bogota.   Tons of high end gated communities, golf courses, million dollar + houses all over the place. A lot of the super rich from Bogota either live out there or have a place near there.    

There are some really good private schools in Bogota, I should have stayed and tried to get her into one, but too late for that now (kid hardly speaks Spanish lol).

Yea at the current exchange rate cost of living is great, but USD has strengthened about 80% since I left, it can always go back,.

I never would have considered something like that, but it's really not that far: similar flight time as from the Mid-west to Seattle.

Also wouldn't mind somewhere like Cartagena; not sure on the safety there but imagine it's pretty good. Kind of prefer the highlands because the weather is more moderate, and like the mountain scene for hiking, but being on the ocean wouldn't be terrible.

Spanish isn't very good right now.

Cartagena is ok for a few days, couldn't pay me to live there. 

The oriente area outside Medellin (Rionegreo, Llanogrande, El Retiro, La Ceja)  has the best of everything if you want to be outside a city IMO.  Warmer than outside Bogota, decent growing infrastructure, malls, restaurants.   Though I heard it's getting too crowed and traffic bad too.   The pollution/traffic in Medellin itself has gotten horrific.

That area north of Bogota is super safe.  There's a ton of money out there though.  Don't know about La Naveta but looks just north of Cajica which is just past Chia.  I looked at a few houses in Chia about 8 years ago.   Both those are great little towns that feel like small picturesque Colombian towns but they are really more like rich suburbs of Bogota.   Tons of high end gated communities, golf courses, million dollar + houses all over the place. A lot of the super rich from Bogota either live out there or have a place near there.    

There are some really good private schools in Bogota, I should have stayed and tried to get her into one, but too late for that now (kid hardly speaks Spanish lol).

Yea at the current exchange rate cost of living is great, but USD has strengthened about 80% since I left, it can always go back,.

For what I am paying now for my condo I could get a hell of a home near Naveta or even outside Medillin in the "suburbs", and the rest of the expenses in country are a lot cheaper. Girlfriend likes Barranquilla a lot but haven't read anything about there and she loves Medellin. 

It's something I would have given 0% thought to 6 months ago, but would consider it now if I could find a job that would accommodate me. Have read so many great things and it's really not that far.

Cartagena is ok for a few days, couldn't pay me to live there. 

The oriente area outside Medellin (Rionegreo, Llanogrande, El Retiro, La Ceja)  has the best of everything if you want to be outside a city IMO.  Warmer than outside Bogota, decent growing infrastructure, malls, restaurants.   Though I heard it's getting too crowed and traffic bad too.   The pollution/traffic in Medellin itself has gotten horrific.

I'll check it out. 

She said Manizales is a great place to raise a family but not a lot to do there for younger people. It looks pretty amazing though.

although to be fair, they had it on the market for nearly 2 years at the price with no nibbles lol

This more up my alley:

http://www.realtor.com/international/co/envigado-antioquia-120003117379/

or this:

http://www.realtor.com/international/co/envigado-antioquia-120003115167/

I don't get the Medellin market. There's a new building going up or already up on every open space in the whole valley. Yet my friend lives in a nice gated community South of the city and there are eight houses in there for sale and none ever sell.

That area if envigado is super nice. Would definitely live there.

I don't get the Medellin market. There's a new building going up or already up on every open space in the whole valley. Yet my friend lives in a nice gated community South of the city and there are eight houses in there for sale and none ever sell.

That area if envigado is super nice. Would definitely live there.

Check your PM's whenever you get a chance. No rush.