Do free throw distractions work?

KingRevolver

Yeah' date=' but is free-throw shooting really about confidence?[/quote']

1) I think confidence plays a role in it. If there is a player who has gone 1/4 from the line in the game so far, it is more than likely sitting in the back of your head and probably means you don't want the ball in your hands during crunch time. If that player does end up taking a crunch time FT, it is likely they are focusing on "not missing the shot", as opposed to just doing their usual routine during the FT shot and not focusing on anything else.

2) I also think the crowd has an impact on your shooting. For the average college bball player, it is hard not to be rattled (whether home or away) when you have an entire arena watching you shoot a FT (not even factoring in crowd noise/distractions).

3) I think when you see good shooters (i.e. guards) who struggle at the FT line, I think they overanalyze their FT shot/form. The best FT shooters are ones that have a sound,consistent technique/form and are able to shoot the ball automatically without thinking about anything else. The one's that struggle from the FT line start playing out scenarios in their head of how to change their FT form after missing 1 FT and aren't able to consistently utilize the same form/technique.

FT shooting is much more about mental confidence than mechanics IMO. You can have an average Joe hit 99% of FT's with muscle memory but he can't jump more than a couple of inches. Dwight Howard was a 90% FT shooter in high school and he is often mocked now as being a very poor FT shooter. Nothing much really changes mechanically FT shooting as you move up IMO but the situations do. Some people perform much worst in high pressure situations like shooting critical FT's. My impression is that the distractions don't really have any effect overall. It's probably just confirmation bias suggesting that what caused the miss was because of the distraction and not for other reasons (poor FT shooter overall, poor at dealing with pressure situations etc.)

FWIW I attribute HC advantage is 80% ref bias + 10% travel +10% actual field difference which of course varies depending on sport/team/field/weather etc. It's not a static number by any means.

I saw the numbers once that even good college free throw shooters went down a huge % in crunch time at the end of games. Drop that down to high school and it gets even bigger.

The older the kid, the more likely he is to not be affected by distractions or late game situation

Dont tell that to Pomeroy, he refuses to acknowledge the existence of pressure. Clearly he never played any sports beyond little league. If a math guy cant quantify it, it doesnt exist.

Are there any studies out there on penalties called home vs away in all sports?

SI did a study

virtually no difference between FT shooting home vs. road

home field/court/ice advantage is created by the refs blowing calls to help the home team

in every sport, the officiating tends to favor the home team

Arkansas up 1, 3 seconds left, Wes Clark of Missouri fouled and goes to the line (almost 74% on the season) [TABLE=class: mod-data mod-pbp, border: 1]

[TR=class: even]

[TD=width: 50]0:17[/TD]

[TD=colspan: 3]Missouri Timeout[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: odd]

[TD=width: 50]0:05[/TD]

[TD]Foul on Rashad Madden.[/TD]

[TD]61-60[/TD]

[TD] [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: even]

[TD=width: 50]0:03[/TD]