Addiction is a devestating disease - Josh Hamilton career possibly over

Timely Hitting

Taking a drug shouldn't be a crime.

Most don't serve hard time? Are you dense or just misinformed again?

50% of our prisons are filled with drug offenders - nothing more. 48% of people in Federal Prison are there for drug related offenses.

I would say you are smarter than this, but apparently you're not.

The joke is you telling people who are depressed to go out and get some fresh air... man, what a dumass. :doh

Yes prisons are filled with drug offenders lol not the recreational users that are addicted. They are the dealers or traffickers with large quantities lol what a wack

Timely to bus is getting defensive. Guy has a hatred for anyone that has a professional career.

Taking drugs should be a crime, lol. Yes, let's have a society full of heroin and crack addicts driving around too hyped up to realize a green/red light and kill people.

Or better yet stab and steal for another fix.

Timely, someone in your family gets killed by a crack addict highly doubt you sing same tune dumb fucking busser

What? That would be driving under the influence, which would still be a crime. You know alcohol is legal, and is pretty much as dangerous as any of the drugs that are illegal, right? Making drugs illegal does not make the drug user rates lower. It does not decrease the amount of addicts. Prison time isn't a detriment for someone looking for a fix. Can you for 1 second realize you don't have a clue as to what you're talking about?

Stealing and driving under the influence wouldn't suddenly be legal just because drugs are. Jaysus.

Here comes deemer with the stupid busser comments. Kid who doesn't have a job talking down on people who are gainfully employed. :doh Newsflash Deemer, you don't have a professional career right now. Another newsflash, being a General Manager of anything is a professional career. Continue on with your further ignorance.

Im guessing some of you addicts watch "my strange addictions" lol I've seen some of these, let start by saying it's all for attention. Who the fuck gets addicted to eating hair, sand, couch cushions, etc or drinking or smelling some of the weirdest fucking shit ever? They are fools!!! I had to take all pillows couches mattresses out of my apartment in fear I would start eating them!!!! Scary shit I went through hahahhaba

Yes prisons are filled with drug offenders lol not the recreational users that are addicted. They are the dealers or traffickers with large quantities lol what a wack

What?

Prisons are full of both users and dealers. You guys just make up crap that is wrong and claim it's your opinion so you have a right to it.

Deemer I'm having a discussion, nothing more. I'm sorry that offends you or hurts your feelings. I don't know how this is a forum battle... Maybe that's how you view it, but I view it as a discussion on addiction.

You think being a good Lawyer means never listening to other opinions because yours is always right. Good luck with that, buddy. Your shots at peoples professions just further shows your arrogance and sense of entitlement - especially given that you're not even employed.

I'm not taking a shot, I'm saying you're more worthy to speak on restaurants than a subject like this.

If we made all drugs legal, you truly believe the driving under the influence rate wouldn't increase? Do you really think that, if so you are a fucking moron.

Anything more accessible/legal will increase usage which in turn will increase people driving/functioning shot up addicts.

Eating is an addiction using Yanks theory. Can die from not doing it and brain tells you need more. So I guess we are all addicted to food.. Lol anyone can construe a definition to fit their needs.

If anyone in my family was an addict and died from an OD, I wouldn't show up to their funeral. That's how serious I am. Hard to mourn that

Why is Portugal not overrun by drug addicts? How can the country function? They decriminalized all drugs 14 years ago, and the country is still in existence today. It's a miracle!

The paper, published by Cato in April, found that in the five years after personal possession was decriminalized, illegal drug use among teens in Portugal declined and rates of new HIV infections caused by sharing of dirty needles dropped, while the number of people seeking treatment for drug addiction more than doubled.

http://content.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1893946,00.html

Is this just more nonsense I'm posting? More of my inability to read and use common sense? Have a good one today little Deemer - I'm sure you have a lot on the schedule for your busy life. Sadly, I won't be able to entertain you all day today because I didn't get anything done yesterday. See ya buddy, I have a lot of dishes to go wash.

Eating is an addiction using Yanks theory. Can die from not doing it and brain tells you need more. So I guess we are all addicted to food.. Lol anyone can construe a definition to fit their needs.

If anyone in my family was an addict and died from an OD, I wouldn't show up to their funeral. That's how serious I am. Hard to mourn that

funerals aren't for the dead, they are for the living... so by not showing up you would be hurting the innocent victims by holding a grudge against a dead person that has no idea whether you are there or not

I'm not taking a shot, I'm saying you're more worthy to speak on restaurants than a subject like this.

If we made all drugs legal, you truly believe the driving under the influence rate wouldn't increase? Do you really think that, if so you are a fucking moron.

Anything more accessible/legal will increase usage which in turn will increase people driving/functioning shot up addicts.

This last sentence is wrong, but keep believing what you want. There is no proof that legality leads to increased usage of anything. The usage rate of Marijuana in Colorado has not gone up since it was made legal. The usage rate of Marijuana in Michigan has not gone up since they decriminalized it. Carry on though.

as for:

You wouldn't show up to their funeral. Jesus Christ, get over yourself. :shoot

Banger and Deemer are the two biggest morons on these forums. Not goin to argue with a closed minded people who are young and naive. You have one who thinks he's the greatest thing since sliced bread because he goes to law school. And you have another one who thinks addiction is a choice because he had his wisdom teeth removed and flushed some aspirin down the toilet... I deal with this shit everyday and have seen thousands of people and tried to help a lot of them. I have seen grown men cry and knowing they are ruining their lives and losing their kids and wife but can't seem to stop.. But it's their choice. I have seen these same people change and love the change but then something triggers it and they relapse. But it's a big "lol" to Deemer and banger because in their 14 years on this earth they been lucky not to experience it first hand or with a loved one.

But keep laughing kids. I Hope for your sake you guys continue to live in your sheltered little bubble.

Addiction is a primary, chronic disease of brain reward, motivation, memory and related circuitry. Addiction affects neurotransmission and interactions within reward structures of the brain, including the nucleus accumbens, anterior cingulate cortex, basal forebrain and amygdala, such that motivational hierarchies are altered and addictive behaviors, which may or may not include alcohol and other drug use, supplant healthy, self-care related behaviors. Addiction also affects neurotransmission and interactions between cortical and hippocampal circuits and brain reward structures, such that the memory of previous exposures to rewards (such as food, sex, alcohol and other drugs) leads to a biological and behavioral response to external cues, in turn triggering craving and/or engagement in addictive behaviors.

The neurobiology of addiction encompasses more than the neurochemistry of reward.1 The frontal cortex of the brain and underlying white matter connections between the frontal cortex and circuits of reward, motivation and memory are fundamental in the manifestations of altered impulse control, altered judgment, and the dysfunctional pursuit of rewards (which is often experienced by the affected person as a desire to “be normalâ€) seen in addiction--despite cumulative adverse consequences experienced from engagement in substance use and other addictive behaviors. The frontal lobes are important in inhibiting impulsivity and in assisting individuals to appropriately delay gratification. When persons with addiction manifest problems in deferring gratification, there is a neurological locus of these problems in the frontal cortex. Frontal lobe morphology, connectivity and functioning are still in the process of maturation during adolescence and young adulthood, and early exposure to substance use is another significant factor in the development of addiction. Many neuroscientists believe that developmental morphology is the basis that makes early-life exposure to substances such an important factor.

Genetic factors account for about half of the likelihood that an individual will develop addiction. Environmental factors interact with the person’s biology and affect the extent to which genetic factors exert their influence. Resiliencies the individual acquires (through parenting or later life experiences) can affect the extent to which genetic predispositions lead to the behavioral and other manifestations of addiction. Culture also plays a role in how addiction becomes actualized in persons with biological vulnerabilities to the development of addiction.

Other factors that can contribute to the appearance of addiction, leading to its characteristic bio-psycho-socio-spiritual manifestations, include:

The presence of an underlying biological deficit in the function of reward circuits, such that drugs and behaviors which enhance reward function are preferred and sought as reinforcers;

The repeated engagement in drug use or other addictive behaviors, causing neuroadaptation in motivational circuitry leading to impaired control over further drug use or engagement in addictive behaviors;

Cognitive and affective distortions, which impair perceptions and compromise the ability to deal with feelings, resulting in significant self-deception;

Disruption of healthy social supports and problems in interpersonal relationships which impact the development or impact of resiliencies;

Exposure to trauma or stressors that overwhelm an individual’s coping abilities;

Distortion in meaning, purpose and values that guide attitudes, thinking and behavior;

Distortions in a person’s connection with self, with others and with the transcendent (referred to as God by many, the Higher Power by 12-steps groups, or higher consciousness by others); and

The presence of co-occurring psychiatric disorders in persons who engage in substance use or other addictive behaviors.

It has hit home for me. My aunt is jobless and takes dozens of pills I couldnt even begin to tell you what they are because I don't care. She was so doped up she was practically passed out at my grandmas funeral. It's a joke, I don't associate with ppl who goes through life expecting handouts and looking for pity. She once had a job like most ppl but then it all fell apart once her husband commited suicide. So my example really has most of these elements involved.

Honestly at this point in my life, and knowing so many people that have OD'd, and have OD'd myself a few times....I mourn very briefly when someone bangs out. The game is the game, it's sad, but they knew what could happen when they dropped the plunger.

Same question to Yanks, if an addict killed a loved one of yours trying to get a fix... Would you say it's okay he can't conteol the disease?

Answer these honestly and maybe you'll realize how ignorant both of you sound

Eventually I would. I would forgive the person even if they weren't an addict. Murder is murder. It wouldn't matter to me why someone killed someone I know.

Killing someone doesn't just affect the family of the person killed. It has affects the persons family who committed the crime. I would feel just as bad for their family as i would mine. They would arguably have to go through more pain and grief than I would.

The pain of losing a love one is always there. But you learn to move on eventually. The persons family who killed someone has to deal with, hear about, face it everyday that their son/daughter, mother/father, brother/sister took an innocent persons life. And they will most likely blame themselves.