Finally, the Brock has come back to Omaha...

KingRevolver

• Replies 887
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

e14af7ae-b8d1-4d3e-8fd1-dca131c120b1_1.4

The Poverty Meal Tip #4 with these is you have to modify the directions. If you mix it according to the directions, and try to go for that pureed style, they have NO chance of competing. But, if you put in about 10% less fluid (milk, water), then you can have a chance to compete with the thicker consistency.

Prepared in the above way, and prepared with the same level of salt, pepper, sour cream, etc. that you would for fresh potatoes, most people would be fooled. Even the ones that can tell the difference, won't hate you. They taste close to the same.

I didn't know that one.

But I did. Sort of.

Out of the dozens of gravy recipes I have seen, many use a touch of cornstarch. But why used dry cornstarch if you have some "fresh" starch from the potato water.

Cool.

Cornstarch is mixed with cold water and added as a thickener. Not the same as expanding on the drippings as a base.

e14af7ae-b8d1-4d3e-8fd1-dca131c120b1_1.4

The Poverty Meal Tip #4 with these is you have to modify the directions. If you mix it according to the directions, and try to go for that pureed style, they have NO chance of competing. But, if you put in about 10% less fluid (milk, water), then you can have a chance to compete with the thicker consistency.

Prepared in the above way, and prepared with the same level of salt, pepper, sour cream, etc. that you would for fresh potatoes, most people would be fooled. Even the ones that can tell the difference, won't hate you. They taste close to the same.

This guy knows. :bulb

Ok MIKE, will have wife cook up the BOX of mashed in the near future.

ONE time can't hurt... :flag

I'm not saying it's the cats meow, just that they're pretty darn good from my experience. make sure you follow the recipe, too much water/milk will make it runny, too little is no good either. I've been buying the bags since they're single use, makes 4 servings(which means it's really 2 or 3). The box's are bigger and good for multiple uses, could get old.