**why does anyone go camping?

milwaukee mike

Yeah. I was just joking with that question.

7 months would be a long time in the woods. Id probably crack after a couple of days and go home.

i could get along easier since i wouldn't have to kill anything for food, i can just eat fruit and veggies that i steal from people's gardens along the way :laugh

for some reason my dad thought it would be a neat adventure to be dropped off in the slums of chicago with no money and not allowed to leave a couple mile radius for 30 days. that to me would be quite a bit tougher than being in the woods or somewhere that food is available, even if it just means chewing on tree bark like an elephant

I plan to thru hike the entire Appalachian trail from Georgia to Maine next March. Should take about 7 months. Can't wait to disappear into the forest and mountains for a while far from society and other humans for the most part.

Back in 92 I hitch-hiked from Ohio to the start of the Appalachian trail at Springer Mt Georgia. My parents dropped me off along the interstate highway and I waved as they drove away. I was on a mission. It took 3 days and 19 rides.

My 1st day on the AT was Sept 28th. It started pouring rain which lasted 4 straight days. On day 2, I see a black bear that runs away when it sees me. Right after that I come across a skinny looking dude heading south. We have a great conversation. It turns out that the guy was thru hiking from Mt Katahdin Maine and was only 1 day from the finish. Over 2000 miles. He had been on the trail for about 5 months and was the very first south bound thru hiker to make it that year. I could tell he was the real deal and not feeding me bullshit. He gives me some tips and hands me his philosophers guide, which was a giude that tells you where all the resupply points are along the trail like country stores, gas stations, restaurants. It also points out all the drinking water locations and natural springs along the trail. Invaluable, it was like the bible for a hiker. He tells me he's down to his last $2 and says he's the president of the Pennsylvania Maple Syrup association. If I loan him $20 he will send a gallon of pure maple syrup in the mail. I don't hesitate and hand him the money. I was carrying about $1200 cash. The maple syrup was sent about 2 weeks later and arrived to my house while I was still on the trail.

So I continue my hike and cross into the Smoky mountains in early October. The fall colors in the smokies will melt your mind. Perfect timing. I meet tons of other hikers along the way and sleep each night in the hiker shelters spaced about 10 to 15 miles apart along the length of the trail. I was averaging about 17 miles a day which is a brutal pace in the mountains while carrying a 70lb backpack.. One of the steepest climbs had 15 switchbacks.

Around the 26th of October as I'm heading into southern Virginia a major snow storm hits.. I hike in snow up to my knees at the higher elevations. I'm the only hiker on the trail for 2 days. I hike into a small town in southern Virginia that has a free hikers house called "the place" which is one of the most famous places along the trail. I spend 2 nights at the place and decide to end my hike and hitch-hike back to Ohio. I ended up hiking 451 miles in 30 days from Sept, 28th to Oct, 28th. A true epic journey that I will never forget!!!

Do the thru hike 70kgman!

It will be one of the most incredible experiences of your life.

Most thru hikers who attempt it every year don't make it.

It will be a very physically and mentally demanding journey.

Good luck and ask me any questions you have.

Back in 92 I hitch-hiked from Ohio to the start of the Appalachian trail at Springer Mt Georgia. My parents dropped me off along the interstate highway and I waved as they drove away. I was on a mission. It took 3 days and 19 rides.

My 1st day on the AT was Sept 28th. It started pouring rain which lasted 4 straight days. On day 2, I see a black bear that runs away when it sees me. Right after that I come across a skinny looking dude heading south. We have a great conversation. It turns out that the guy was thru hiking from Mt Katahdin Maine and was only 1 day from the finish. Over 2000 miles. He had been on the trail for about 5 months and was the very first south bound thru hiker to make it that year. I could tell he was the real deal and not feeding me bullshit. He gives me some tips and hands me his philosophers guide, which was a giude that tells you where all the resupply points are along the trail like country stores, gas stations, restaurants. It also points out all the drinking water locations and natural springs along the trail. Invaluable, it was like the bible for a hiker. He tells me he's down to his last $2 and says he's the president of the Pennsylvania Maple Syrup association. If I loan him $20 he will send a gallon of pure maple syrup in the mail. I don't hesitate and hand him the money. I was carrying about $1200 cash. The maple syrup was sent about 2 weeks later and arrived to my house while I was still on the trail.

So I continue my hike and cross into the Smoky mountains in early October. The fall colors in the smokies will melt your mind. Perfect timing. I meet tons of other hikers along the way and sleep each night in the hiker shelters spaced about 10 to 15 miles apart along the length of the trail. I was averaging about 17 miles a day which is a brutal pace in the mountains while carrying a 70lb backpack.. One of the steepest climbs had 15 switchbacks.

Around the 26th of October as I'm heading into southern Virginia a major snow storm hits.. I hike in snow up to my knees at the higher elevations. I'm the only hiker on the trail for 2 days. I hike into a small town in southern Virginia that has a free hikers house called "the place" which is one of the most famous places along the trail. I spend 2 nights at the place and decide to end my hike and hitch-hike back to Ohio. I ended up hiking 451 miles in 30 days from Sept, 28th to Oct, 28th. A true epic journey that I will never forget!!!

Do the thru hike 70kgman!

It will be one of the most incredible experiences of your life.

Most thru hikers who attempt it every year don't make it.

It will be a very physically and mentally demanding journey.

Good luck and ask me any questions you have.

Great story. Definitely an unconventional time of year to leave for a northbound thru-hike.

I have already purchased about 20% of my thru-hike lighweight gear, so I definitely feel committed to following through with my plan now. As much as I am doing it for the escape from the rut of everyday modern life, I am doing it just as much for the daily adventure, new sights and sounds, and the challenge of attempting to complete it. I live in New England, so technically I will just be walking home from Springer Mountain. Deer ticks (lyme disease) are actually my biggest concern. Especially seeing how the AT goes right through the heart of the deer tick population in the northeast. It is tough to take even day hike's in this area without coming back with ticks latched onto you.

I wasn't planning a thru hike. My origional plan was an 860 mile hike from Georgia to northern Virginia. From there I wold hitch-hike to one of the oldest and most famous hippie communes in America called Twin Oaks. You have to apply for a 1 week stay there before becoming a member. I called my parents from the trail and found out that my application had been delayed so I cut my hike a little short and hitch-hiked back to Ohio.

Purchase a trail guide with water and food info along the trail.

You must prepare for rainy weather in the spring.

You must have a water purification strategy. I used iodine pills or just took the risk at clean springs.

I didn't take a tent. I slept in the shelters with sometimes 6 or 7 other hikers.

You will need a trail name. Every shelter has a journal or log in book where all the other hikers leave tips, jokes and all kinds of other info.

I always wanted to hike the entire Appalachian Trail. I have hiked several parts of it on weekend escapes. My favorite is the area around Harpers Ferry' date=' WV. Good luck on this and keep us updated[/quote']

Love that area. Went tubing down the river there last year. Hit up Charlestown racetrack too.

Live in northern ,ky wife and i go camping every memorial day weekend. At aj jolly lake Going this Friday and Saturday only. Set up tent by the lake all day fishing and some night fishing camp fire wife grills for me then she gets drunk then party in the tent lol. Its a great time on the lake with the fire going and fishing lines in the water.