Can insurance companies discriminate against race?

WVU

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Under new rules which are entering into force, insurers in Europe will have to charge the same prices to women and men for the same insurance products without distinction on the grounds of sex.

This means that insurance prices could rise or fall in the short term for certain categories of customers while they are likely to balance out over time. The change comes after the Court of Justice of the European Union ruled that different premiums for men and women purely on the grounds of sex were incompatible with the principle of unisex pricing included in EU gender equality legislation, and with the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights.

“Gender equality is a fundamental right in the European Union and the Court of Justice made clear that this also applies to insurance pricing," said Vice-President Reding, the EU’s Justice Commissioner. "The insurance sector has had over a year to prepare the switch over to unisex pricing and the European Commission has helped the industry to adapt during this period. The Commission will monitor how the industry will implements these new rules in practice. ”

In its ruling on 1 March 2011 in the Test-Achats case (C‑236/09), the Court of Justice of the EU gave insurers until 21 December 2012 to change their pricing policies in order to treat individual male and female customers equally in terms of insurance premiums and benefits (MEMO/11/123).

Following the Court's judgement, Vice-President Viviane Reding, the EU's Justice Commissioner, met with leading EU insurers in September 2011 to discuss how the Commission can help the industry to adapt to the Court's ruling (MEMO/11/624). As a result on, 22 December 2011, the Commission gave the industry concrete guidance on implementing the ruling (IP/11/1581).

So my ideas aren't so crazy after all.  Nor are they new ideas.  Put that in your pipe and smoke it

Guest boatboatboat

Under new rules which are entering into force, insurers in Europe will have to charge the same prices to women and men for the same insurance products without distinction on the grounds of sex.

This means that insurance prices could rise or fall in the short term for certain categories of customers while they are likely to balance out over time. The change comes after the Court of Justice of the European Union ruled that different premiums for men and women purely on the grounds of sex were incompatible with the principle of unisex pricing included in EU gender equality legislation, and with the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights.

“Gender equality is a fundamental right in the European Union and the Court of Justice made clear that this also applies to insurance pricing," said Vice-President Reding, the EU’s Justice Commissioner. "The insurance sector has had over a year to prepare the switch over to unisex pricing and the European Commission has helped the industry to adapt during this period. The Commission will monitor how the industry will implements these new rules in practice. ”

In its ruling on 1 March 2011 in the Test-Achats case (C‑236/09), the Court of Justice of the EU gave insurers until 21 December 2012 to change their pricing policies in order to treat individual male and female customers equally in terms of insurance premiums and benefits (MEMO/11/123).

Following the Court's judgement, Vice-President Viviane Reding, the EU's Justice Commissioner, met with leading EU insurers in September 2011 to discuss how the Commission can help the industry to adapt to the Court's ruling (MEMO/11/624). As a result on, 22 December 2011, the Commission gave the industry concrete guidance on implementing the ruling (IP/11/1581).

So my ideas aren't so crazy after all.  Nor are they new ideas.  Put that in your pipe and smoke it

further proof why we left English control

well cop we are not alone.  Car insurance companies in the EU and Britain are not allowed to discriminate based on age or sex.

So maybe this really should be an issue here in the states and guys like TTP and Boat can finally understand my line of thinking.  I doubt it though.  They are both set in their ways, wrong or not

Lol

You havent answered one of my questions so screw you! :cigar

Are you really going to tell women they are going to have to pay more for health insurance than men because they have babies? That ain't going to work.

no.  This is about auto insurance.  Health insurance is a completely different animal

Guest boatboatboat

very common to have a rider they can add that pays for child birth and any contract written while they are pregnant will not cover the associated cost

I read it to be about all types of insurance premiums, Nothing I posted referred to health insurance specifically.

Yeah, I know. But you are upset with car insurance. I doubt there is all that much difference in Europe in insurance rates because they have a lot of public transport and drive little fuel efficient cars. They don't have a history of getting drunk and hot rodding.

Yes we know this. But you have failed to answer my question on why it is ok to discriminate based on age and sex

Your question best addressed by our state's Insurance Commissioner. I am resonably confident that if any anti-discrimination laws were being violated we would be aware of pertinent lawsuits.

WVU why are restaurants allowed to charges less for kids and seniors? Same as movie theaters.

Why do women get into clubs cheaper then men?

Why do banks give better interest rates on CDs to bigger deposits?

Why can't we figure out how to fix broken bones in a horse??

do you know this to be true? I think you could find a difference in accident rates for blacks vs white vs hispanics if you looked.

It appears you have finally......Finally found your Purpose in Life

Do the legwork and issue your findings here at TGF.....as a rather square, 56 year old White Male, I would appreciate the resultant lower premiums

it is also against the law to discriminate against sex. Yet insurance companies do. Same with age.

Actually, it is only illegal to "unduly discriminate" based on gender.

People and businesses routinely make discriminating decisions and many are impacted by pertinent gender roles. But our social and business world have carved out clear definitions as to when such discrimination is undue.

It clearly does not unduly impact actuarial and underwriting decisions within the insurance industries, so sorry your dream of saving premium dough by claiming your 1/16th Negro heritage will not fly