Daily Complaint Thread

Dark Raver Camper

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some of my favorite times as a kid was going to camp for a week in the summer.  Went up until 8th grade.  Girls and Boys.

Swimming in the lake.  Rope courses up in the trees.  Football/Baseball.  Sneaking out of the cabin.

The only thing I enjoyed more was the basketball camps.

bacteria, rope burns, mosquitoes were probably more like it

Some of my favorite times as a kid was going to camp for a week in the summer.  Went up until 8th grade.  Girls and Boys.

Swimming in the lake.  Rope courses up in the trees.  Football/Baseball.  Sneaking out of the cabin.

The only thing I enjoyed more was the basketball camps.

Camp was awesome.

why would you pay for camp?

can't you just spend time with your son doing the same stuff... can't be too busy this time of year

Thank you for presuming my workload and how to parent my son.  Very much appreciated.  (That is the subtle way of saying fuck you).  :flag

Camp was a very positive experience for me. I went to several types church camp, daycamp, regular camp, loved it. At that age I would have rather been hanging out with my friends doing fun activitities than with my parents. Don't understand MM thinking here.

They now have adult summer camp. It's basically like summer camp for adults with drinking. Apparently it's becoming a big thing.

Camp was a very positive experience for me. I went to several types church camp, daycamp, regular camp, loved it. At that age I would have rather been hanging out with my friends doing fun activitities than with my parents. Don't understand MM thinking here.

They now have adult summer camp. It's basically like summer camp for adults with drinking. Apparently it's becoming a big thing.

where i grew up, and where we are now, my kids are outside playing with friends/neighbors every day in the summer... can easily walk/bike/drive to a beach/lake at any time

so that factors into my thinking

where i grew up, and where we are now, my kids are outside playing with friends/neighbors every day in the summer... can easily walk/bike/drive to a beach/lake at any time

. That makes sense.

We had a local park and rec program at many of the schools/ parks here. We would ride our bikes over there and spend all day playing tetherball, chess, and other games, crafts etc.. Would compete against other schools/parks. . Sadly, that program does not exist here anymore. Was Great free fun when it was safe to let your kids run around without supervision.

. That makes sense.

We had a local park and rec program at many of the schools/ parks here. We would ride our bikes over there and spend all day playing tetherball, chess, and other games, crafts etc.. Would compete against other schools/parks. . Sadly, that program does not exist here anymore. Was Great free fun when it was safe to let your kids run around without supervision.

that is sad

people think i'm grouchy when i mention how much better it was when i was a kid around milwaukee... you could play in the street without worrying, there were more fun things to go to like arcades, indoor mini golf/gokarts/etc... kids didn't just stare at a phone all day

Same here minus the beach. Never went to camp as a kid. An event or two that were cub scout weekend or something, but never a summer camp or anything along those lines.

No offense taken MM.  Your last post, though, you are starting to sound like Ward Cleaver - BACK IN MY DAY....

yeah really

sadly i still watch leave it to beaver, mr ed, munsters, etc... 10 year old daughter likes the black and white shows for some weird reason

was a simpler time back then

like the movie "midnight in paris" i would prefer living back in time

All personal preference.

Would I rather have these awesome video games and movies on a handheld phone or be able to play outside and do as I please with no parents complaining about "do you see so and so kid just out running the streets"

Tough to say.  I would rather be outside than play nintendo when I was little.  But I have a couple cousins that would want to spend all day inside playing nintendo/sega instead of being outside.

I played in creeks/rivers/trees when I was a youngster.  We had a creek run through our subdivision, we had trees around the subdivision that we'd build forts in have fires in.  Some people don't have houses, some were brought up in apartments or places with no real yards/trees around.  My parents didn't let me ride my bike miles away to the arcade/bowling alley.  But I had free reign to cruise and do whatever in my neighborhood.

As free as that felt, to not have really any restrictions, it still felt 20X better knowing that I'm going to camp and had no real rules for a week (no parents)

Getting together with friends for a week from school that didn't live in my neighborhood, that was better than hanging with the same 4-6 kids like I'd usually do.

And Camp 20 years ago was alot less strict I'd imagine than the camp nowadays.

yeah really

sadly i still watch leave it to beaver, mr ed, munsters, etc... 10 year old daughter likes the black and white shows for some weird reason

was a simpler time back then

like the movie "midnight in paris" i would prefer living back in time

. Hahaha I am always saying that and (almost) everyone thinks I'm nuts.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not one for a lot of knick-knack type dust-collecting breakables, other than picture frames and candles. However, just came from my office where I see Kat took a swing at one of the ceramic pieces my grandmother had made. She was very good, and had her own kiln. Kat has broken several things, but this one was irreplaceable. Am I just not able to ever have breakable things out? Fucking Kat. So mad.