Needed: Floor Tile expert

IAG

You mean you are thinking about doing it yourself? Why not just do it then and save all this nonsense?

Because I didn’t know that it was safe until he looked at it. He explained the difference with the EPA standards and what the city wants and what the flooring people here will do etc. I was worried about the impact on me and my cats. He indicated there was no real cause for alarm, but I think if it’s positive I’ll still have him remove them. He said the flooring companies just refuse to do it because of general liability issues.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Because I didn’t know that it was safe until he looked at it. He explained the difference with the EPA standards and what the city wants and what the flooring people here will do etc. I was worried about the impact on me and my cats. He indicated there was no real cause for alarm, but I think if it’s positive I’ll still have him remove them. He said the flooring companies just refuse to do it because of general liability issues.

So you're worried your cats are going to get mesothilioma? Cmon. Assuming they'll come up relatively easily(in one or two pieces), what's the big deal, you pull them off, vacuum up, mop a couple times and you're done.

So you're worried your cats are going to get mesothilioma? Cmon. Assuming they'll come up relatively easily(in one or two pieces), what's the big deal, you pull them off, vacuum up, mop a couple times and you're done.

Mop? Lol. You obviously don’t know me.

And no, I’m not anymore, but I did wonder. Milo has breathing issues anyway.

Just in...

xxxx,

The floor tile in the basement is 2% asbestos, making it legally considered an asbestos material (the threshold is 1%). The adhesive underneath the tile is not asbestos-containing. I’ll send the lab results later, as I’m not sure how to do it from my phone. Thanks,

xxxxx

Great.

Just in...

xxxx,

The floor tile in the basement is 2% asbestos, making it legally considered an asbestos material (the threshold is 1%). The adhesive underneath the tile is not asbestos-containing. I’ll send the lab results later, as I’m not sure how to do it from my phone. Thanks,

xxxxx

Great.

So what's the problem, pull them up yourself? 2 % is nothing.

He took a sample and sent it to a lab. No one will do flooring and I’m not messing with it. Have to have it abated.

Anything over 1% is considered asbestos containing material (ACM). Better consider how you'll dispose of the debris, since it is considered hazardous waste. Popcorn ceilings are notoriously friable. It's pretty easy to get junk airborne during removal of one of these. Anything that gets airborne, will stay that way for a long time without some engineering controls in place, proper exhaust, clean up methods, waste handling, entering/leaving the work area, terminal cleaning, final tear down of the containment, etc. You didn't post your location, but most places, transporting and improperly packaging hazardous waste carries some hefty penalties.

No amount of asbestos is considered safe. Products that contain greater than 1 percent of asbestos minerals are considered to be asbestos-containing.

The more asbestos you are exposed to, the more likely you are to get an asbestos disease. Asbestosis and lung cancer are dose-related diseases. Dose-related means the more asbestos you breathe, the more likely you are to get sick.

The one asbestos disease that is different is mesothelioma. Very small amounts of asbestos can give you mesothelioma. Asbestos workers' families have gotten mesothelioma from the dust the workers brought home on their clothes.

Go to > top

No amount of asbestos is considered safe. Products that contain greater than 1 percent of asbestos minerals are considered to be asbestos-containing.

The more asbestos you are exposed to, the more likely you are to get an asbestos disease. Asbestosis and lung cancer are dose-related diseases. Dose-related means the more asbestos you breathe, the more likely you are to get sick.

The one asbestos disease that is different is mesothelioma. Very small amounts of asbestos can give you mesothelioma. Asbestos workers' families have gotten mesothelioma from the dust the workers brought home on their clothes.

Go to > top

Blah, blah, blah...blah, blah. And one drop of alcohol will harm a fetus, one ciggarette will cause cancer, one sunburn will destroy your skin, etc, etc. They say that nonsense to get dopes to pay thousands of dollars they dont have to.  it's your floor, your money, do what you want, it's obvious you dont really want any input, best of luck.