And let go of what I’ve done

Put to rest
What you thought of me
While I clean this slate
With the hands of uncertainty

So let mercy come
And wash away
What I’ve done

I hear ya pal. But there's a lot of good that comes out of the church "community" I mean shit if not for Catholic school I'd be a completely different person today (for the worse)

Agreed. I'm not sure I have been to church outside of a funeral in 15 years, I went every single week of my life growing up. I have no issue with most local community churches. Some of the mega churches give Christianity a bad name. Those are the folks that piss me off.

I'm with Sol on the confession thing. Not sure who decided anyone needed an intermediary/go-between.

Agreed. I'm not sure I have been to church outside of a funeral in 15 years, I went every single week of my life growing up. I have no issue with most local community churches. Some of the mega churches give Christianity a bad name. Those are the folks that piss me off.

I'm with Sol on the confession thing. Not sure who decided anyone needed an intermediary/go-between.

I have no issues with people that go to Church.  I think its a personal choice.  If you feel thats where you need to be closer to God?  Then I guess you better be going to Church.

Generally speaking, I think our modern day churches have strayed far far away from the roots of Christianity.  If Jesus lived today, he wouldn't be hanging out in a Church.  He would be out in the bars and night clubs socializing with the "sinners".  

Some people have argued with me saying that I am sinning by not attending Church.  I challenge them to tell me why that opinion is Biblical.  They come up with versus that talk about being part of the "church", that "worship" is necessary, as is "fellowship".  First of all, the "Church" is not a building.  The Church is people.  I can fellowship with other believers without going to a central meeting spot every Sunday at 10am.  And people can "worship" in all different ways.  If you enjoy singing with a group in a Church?  Have at it.  Thats not my thing.  

I came to a point in my "faith" that I can no longer grow.  I have questions that no one can answer.  Things that I will never understand.  So therefore, I finally came to the realization that I will never know.  So I have stopped seeking. If I don't understand myself, how can I teach others?  I'm at the point with my faith right now, that I believe in God and believe in the message that Jesus brought.  But I don't understand it.  So I just decided that Im fine with that.  I'll try living my life for others as been instructed.  And trust that on the back end, God is in control of this whole deal and he has some sort of grand plan that I, as a human, will never understand as long as I am walking and breathing on this Earth.

What don't I understand?  Many things.  But for example, I don't believe that everyone that does not "accept Jesus as their savior" is going to Hell for all eternity to suffer eternal weeping and gnashing of teeth.  Why would he create all of this, just to torture most of the beings that he created?  Any good and just God would never do that.  

Do I think there is a "heaven" and a "Hell"?  Maybe.  The Bible speaks of both.  But maybe its not like you heard about and not what you hear about in Church.  Not everything in the Bible is "literal".  

I believe that just because something is not in the Bible, it doesn't mean it couldn't be real, or could happen.  Could there be a "middle ground"?  A place that is not necessarily "Hell", but not necessarily "Heaven".  A place that we deserved, based on what type of human beings we were while on Earth.  Do I necessarily believe this?  No.  But I keep an open mind to ideas like that.

If there is a God, I think he has told us all we need to know and he will be fair with us.  And the rest of it?  We will find out when we pass to the other side.  If there is another side to pass to..

I hear ya pal. But there's a lot of good that comes out of the church "community" I mean shit if not for Catholic school I'd be a completely different person today (for the worse)

for every young boy that was helped by a catholic church, there are 2 that were raped by a catholic priest

churches used to feed and house the poor, now all they do is build bigger churches... mrs milwaukee's priest here was stealing all the money just to snort it up his nose... feels good to give to such a worthy cause of scumbags and thieves

for every young boy that was helped by a catholic church, there are 2 that were raped by a catholic priest

churches used to feed and house the poor, now all they do is build bigger churches... mrs milwaukee's priest here was stealing all the money just to snort it up his nose... feels good to give to such a worthy cause of scumbags and thieves

If there is a God, the people that were supposed to represent him and abused that power, will receive the toughest of all judgements. 

Come on guys. Do you really believe that a married virgin who was probably 14 or 15 years old was impregnated by God and the virgin had gods son?  

Sorry but I'm not buying it. The Bible writers were desperate for a messiah so they exaggerated the story of a great teacher and prophet named Jesus and they got their messiah.

No chance in hell that such a ridiculous story is true. A virgin didn't have Gods baby 2000 years ago.

Come on guys. Do you really believe that a married virgin who was probably 14 or 15 years old was impregnated by God and the virgin had gods son?  

Sorry but I'm not buying it. The Bible writers were desperate for a messiah so they exaggerated the story of a great teacher and prophet named Jesus and they got their messiah.

No chance in hell that such a ridiculous story is true. A virgin didn't have Gods baby 2000 years ago.

Nothing makes sense.  No theory out there about the creation of the world makes sense.

Even "Science's" theory about how the world created doesn't make sense.  A big bang doesn't make sense.  Gases mixed with gases and BANG!!  Where did the gases come from?  Science tells us, you can not make or destroy matter.  You can only make it change forms.  So even Science can't explain how even the basic forms of matter were created.  

I had a Priest on the string a long time. Used to come see me for confession every Tuesday at Kovac's bar. Terrible gambler but nicest man alive. Jesuit dude, always bet Xavier, U of D, Georgetown, favorite was Marquette. Wouldn't bet anything but a Jesuit school.

You forgot St. Joe's

Your first sentence seems a bit extreme, no?

Nothing makes sense.  No theory out there about the creation of the world makes sense.

Even "Science's" theory about how the world created doesn't make sense.  A big bang doesn't make sense.  Gases mixed with gases and BANG!!  Where did the gases come from?  Science tells us, you can not make or destroy matter.  You can only make it change forms.  So even Science can't explain how even the basic forms of matter were created.  

There is a shitload of evidence that proves that life is a process of evolution. No other theory has the amount of evidence and makes more sense than evolution. We have complete dinosaur skeletons. We have human skeletons from millions of years ago. Have you never heard of Lucy from 3.1 million years ago. 

We evolved, not just from apes but from fish before that and from microscopic organisms before that. Read a science book and learn about your past.

I have no issues with people that go to Church.  I think its a personal choice.  If you feel thats where you need to be closer to God?  Then I guess you better be going to Church.

Generally speaking, I think our modern day churches have strayed far far away from the roots of Christianity.  If Jesus lived today, he wouldn't be hanging out in a Church.  He would be out in the bars and night clubs socializing with the "sinners".  

Some people have argued with me saying that I am sinning by not attending Church.  I challenge them to tell me why that opinion is Biblical.  They come up with versus that talk about being part of the "church", that "worship" is necessary, as is "fellowship".  First of all, the "Church" is not a building.  The Church is people.  I can fellowship with other believers without going to a central meeting spot every Sunday at 10am.  And people can "worship" in all different ways.  If you enjoy singing with a group in a Church?  Have at it.  Thats not my thing.  

I came to a point in my "faith" that I can no longer grow.  I have questions that no one can answer.  Things that I will never understand.  So therefore, I finally came to the realization that I will never know.  So I have stopped seeking. If I don't understand myself, how can I teach others?  I'm at the point with my faith right now, that I believe in God and believe in the message that Jesus brought.  But I don't understand it.  So I just decided that Im fine with that.  I'll try living my life for others as been instructed.  And trust that on the back end, God is in control of this whole deal and he has some sort of grand plan that I, as a human, will never understand as long as I am walking and breathing on this Earth.

What don't I understand?  Many things.  But for example, I don't believe that everyone that does not "accept Jesus as their savior" is going to Hell for all eternity to suffer eternal weeping and gnashing of teeth.  Why would he create all of this, just to torture most of the beings that he created?  Any good and just God would never do that.  

Do I think there is a "heaven" and a "Hell"?  Maybe.  The Bible speaks of both.  But maybe its not like you heard about and not what you hear about in Church.  Not everything in the Bible is "literal".  

I believe that just because something is not in the Bible, it doesn't mean it couldn't be real, or could happen.  Could there be a "middle ground"?  A place that is not necessarily "Hell", but not necessarily "Heaven".  A place that we deserved, based on what type of human beings we were while on Earth.  Do I necessarily believe this?  No.  But I keep an open mind to ideas like that.

If there is a God, I think he has told us all we need to know and he will be fair with us.  And the rest of it?  We will find out when we pass to the other side.  If there is another side to pass to..

That's almost exactly where I am at. However I can say I am fairly certain there is a God. I know this....in a way that's unexplainable and for reasons which I will not go into, but that much I know. It's all about faith.. If everything was spelled out and it was cut and dry, there would be no need for faith.

As for the particulars, I also believe in the teachings of Christ, the grace of God, and after life of some sort, though as you indicated, probably much different then what is interpreted literally by some.

I'm sure there are some Bible verses that would promote going to church for different reasons. I know I've heard them over the years. I just don't go. No reason really...lazy and NFL I suppose. Sometimes on a Sunday morning I will turn into a local church service on TV. I don't think it's a necessary element for salvation.

It's just as easy for me to believe in a higher power than the world blowing up from nothing. During the time of my mothers death, I witnessed things that I cannot attribute to coincidence, and therefore while I am worried I don't have "enough" faith at times, I think I'm good.

There is a shitload of evidence that proves that life is a process of evolution. No other theory has the amount of evidence and makes more sense than evolution. We have complete dinosaur skeletons. We have human skeletons from millions of years ago. Have you never heard of Lucy from 3.1 million years ago. 

We evolved, not just from apes but from fish before that and from microscopic organisms before that. Read a science book and learn about your past.

Like I said, you can't make something out of nothing.  Its impossible.  So any theory out there, can't be explained fully by Science.