I learned a lot today about healthcare...

IAG

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not employed. I have to provide documentation of income which requires statements and such. They are not smart enough to process the statements correctly so I send them a fake return.

Where does your income from? Yyou don't have to answer that, but since it sounds like you file a real return anyway, just later, I'm curious.

I could send them 1099s and so forth, but majority of my income is the rental income. I suppose I could send the bank statements showing the cash deposit into my Colorado bank account, but they requested the tax return instead, so I had to make sure to get mine done by 3/13.

Where does your income from?

I could send them 1099s and so forth, but majority of my income is the rental income. I suppose I could send the bank statements showing the cash deposit into my Colorado bank account, but they requested the tax return instead, so I had to make sure to get mine done 3/13.

Investment income. All the 1099s come late and they want the info by March so I have to improvise. I have tried to play it straight with them and they F'ed it up. I just take care of it myself now.

Yeah, this is not official. It is just verification so I can get by with a fake one.

Investment income. All the 1099s come late and they want the info by March so I have to improvise. I have tried to play it straight with them and they F'ed it up. I just take care of it myself now.

Ameritrade sent mine really late this year. I had to get the information online. I just got the paper copy in the mail about a week ago. I thought they had to have them out by a certain date, but apparently that's not really the case....especially when REITs are involved.

Ameritrade sent mine really late this year. I had to get the information online. I just got the paper copy in the mail about a week ago. I thought they had to have them out by a certain date, but apparently that's not really the case....especially when REITs are involved.

Yeah. They have a hard time with more complicated reporting. They have to send a lot of corrected ones too. Last year, I reported more than I was going to make to make sure it would not be a problem and they adjusted my premiums based on the prior year's income. I asked for a review or whatever and they ignored it so then I went in and started adjusting income and then the whole thing would start again with them wanting documentation. Wait two months,  make another adjustment. Finally someone fixed it and they have not even asked for it this year. The whole thing is a nightmare. I am not even going into my actual experiences with BlueCross BlueShield which I would really get going about.

AHA!!!!!! I found this. Vindicated! I just need to know what "in some instances" means...and no idea what sentence two means either.

"In some instances if your income ends up being lower than you project and you adjust your marketplace account, you can get credit (refund) for cost-sharing charges already paid in a calendar year! If you haven’t paid a claim yet, that charge is not affected by changing Cost Sharing levels. This fact essentially makes Cost Sharing Reduction subsidies one of the biggest, yet least talked about, perks of the Affordable Care Act."

AHA!!!!!! I found this. Vindicated! I just need to know what "in some instances" means...and no idea what sentence two means either.

"In some instances if your income ends up being lower than you project and you adjust your marketplace account, you can get credit (refund) for cost-sharing charges already paid in a calendar year! If you haven’t paid a claim yet, that charge is not affected by changing Cost Sharing levels. This fact essentially makes Cost Sharing Reduction subsidies one of the biggest, yet least talked about, perks of the Affordable Care Act."

I assume they would calculate that automatically. I would not want to go there. I make damn sure to under-report. Nothing but trouble otherwise.

What happens if someone receiving a cost-sharing reduction experiences a change (such as a change in income) during the course of the year?

A change in circumstances during the year may result in a change in eligibility for cost-sharing reductions.  A person could no longer be eligible and move to a standard silver plan without a cost-sharing reduction, or a person could become eligible for a lesser or more generous cost-sharing reduction level.  Unlike with the premium credits, no reconciliation or repayment of cost-sharing reduction amounts occurs in these situations; nor can the person generally receive a refund of any prior cost-sharing charges a person paid that he or she wouldn’t have had to pay if enrolled in a cost-sharing reduction plan with a higher actuarial value.  But in some cases, the person can get credit for cost-sharing charges already paid that year.

Consider an example: John anticipates an annual income of $23,540 for 2016, enrolls in a silver plan, and automatically is placed in a cost-sharing reduction plan (a silver plan variation) with an 87 percent actuarial value.  During January and February, John spends a total of $250 out of pocket, the amount of the deductible in the 87 percent plan.  Then, he loses his job and gets a new one with lower pay.  His new total expected income for the year is $18,000.  He informs the exchange and gets a redetermination of his eligibility, resulting in John being enrolled in a different cost-sharing reduction variation of the silver plan he is in.  This new variation has an actuarial value of 94 percent.  The deductible under this cost-sharing reduction plan is $0.  John is able to get credit for the $250 he already paid out of pocket toward the out-of-pocket limit in the cost-sharing reduction version he newly enrolls in, but he would not receive a refund of the amounts he paid toward his deductible.

John would receive “credit” for his prior out-of-pocket costs only if he remains enrolled in the same silver plan offered by the same health insurer when his cost-sharing reduction level changes.  He can enroll in a different silver plan, but if he does that, any out-of-pocket amounts he already spent during the year would not count toward the out-of-pocket maximum.

But also found this...

"The rule of thumb, from what my research shows, is that deductibles will always reset. I would contact the insurer on this and ask if anything can be done. Let us know the outcome in the comments if you can!"

"Generally you will lose cost sharing when you switch plans. To avoid (in some cases) this contact the insurer and coordinate the change."

But this is from http://obamacarefacts.com/questions/do-i-lose-deductible-when-i-switch-health-plans/ If they don't seem to know for sure, there is no hope.

IAG you are an ABAWD by Medicaid rules. An Able Bodied Adult Without Dependents.

If you want to go without insurance as Trump has already stated he won't enforce the mandate anyway, just use the emergency room as your primary provider like the other ABAWDs.

You can also apply for SSD-I and claim mental health as your disability. When they send you to the evaluation tell the doctor that you hear voices and it started when you were about 17. Also tell the doctor that the voices tell you to do bad things like burning down churches. This is a classic schizophrenia diagnosis and you will be approved. Just those 2 symptoms will get you approved. Then you will get your Medicare A & B early after waiting 2 years.

And I agree with TTP, go forward with accurate data and forget about last year.

What you are reading IAG is the credit I said you would get towards your new plan to show you met your deductible and out of pocket.

That is not a credit of getting a check back in the mail

I haven't read your article yet, and I understand what you're saying, but what I am now reading says that is not the case. All I want is a certain answers so I can decide if I want to change or not. It's doublespeak everywhere.

Going to read your article now.

IAG you are an ABAWD by Medicaid rules. An Able Bodied Adult Without Dependents.

If you want to go without insurance as Trump has already stated he won't enforce the mandate anyway, just use the emergency room as your primary provider like the other ABAWDs.

You can also apply for SSD-I and claim mental health as your disability. When they send you to the evaluation tell the doctor that you hear voices and it started when you were about 17. Also tell the doctor that the voices tell you to do bad things like burning down churches. This is a classic schizophrenia diagnosis and you will be approved. Just those 2 symptoms will get you approved. Then you will get your Medicare A & B early after waiting 2 years.

And I agree with TTP, go forward with accurate data and forget about last year.

I am thinking that this year will be similar to last year. I didn't know about certain write offs so I calculated too high. All I have to go on is last year..... If premiums had not gone to $700+ this year I would have continued to pay on my private plan...actually tempted to switch back anyway...for a myriad of reasons,,,

Would never go on disability unless truly ill.

P.s. It didn't start til I was 23.

Yes as to why I keep saying to stay where the heck you are.

They should credit you but who knows. But getting back refunds on what you spent over your new plan benefits. Don't think so

I know I won't..I just think it's another reason it's flawed. I can understand if I was changing plans...but sticking with the same plan, it's dumb.,..

But I'm probably overthinking it, and I've been paying so much forever, that even the premium based on higher amount is fine

IAG going to ask ya again. You know its modified adjust gross and not just adjusted gross?

I didn't see you ask before. But no, and I don't know that I know the difference. I think I knew about four hours ago, but if I did I don't know now, and my head is killing me. Can you elaborate?