Crypto mining chat with spankie and plommer

plommer

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weird.  All of my 1060's and 1070's were 8 pin.

Most of the 1060 3GB's are 6 pin, not all tho. 

The 1060 3GB's will mostly all be 6 pin

For the 6 GB's some are 6, some are 8. It depends on the PCB board.

When the 1060's first launched only 6Gb's were launched, 3GB's came out later. The 6 GB's that were originally launched, used Nvidia's PCB boards, and most board partners used their own custom cooling. At launch there weren't a lot of time for the partner boards to come out with their custom design of the pcb boards to make it more OC and Wattage efficient, so if usually founders edition/ Launch edition boards with custom cooling have 6 pin.

As few months went on, the board partners then brought out their own custom boards with custom cooling, which increased efficiency for mem/clock speed Over clocking and different phases for the power. Most good boards use 8 Pins now as 8 pins are more stable for overclockers who use it for gaming purpose since these video cards were indeed made for gamers.

Does the Strix 1060's pump out a good mh compared to the pny? I mean obviously the strix is top of the line for gaming compared to the pny but also cost a lot more since it has better board and clock and mem speed and etc but don't know for mining

Yeah about 1.5MH/s faster.  That card is a beast for a 1060. 

good thing you got plommer running this operation

lol

I wish I didn't order/use these ASUS H170's.

They are a headache for mining. I know spankie says they should work but after my experiences and reading about other H170 owners with the same complaints I have my doubts.

Anyway, I'm taking a break for a bit from troubleshooting as I'm fukkin spent mentally. Will go at it again in a few hours.

Dude this shit is making me mental.

Now the 4th card isn't being detected. I have to re-troubleshoot why.

I'm hoping its just a shitty riser.

When you say won't work, what's happening?  Do you have power to the GPU (are any lights lit up on it) without the 6 pin connected?  If you don't, then you definitely have a problem with the riser.

Can you see what's being detected on your board through your BIOS (like a board explorer or something)?  If so, does it show up detected in there?

Does the Strix 1060's pump out a good mh compared to the pny? I mean obviously the strix is top of the line for gaming compared to the pny but also cost a lot more since it has better board and clock and mem speed and etc but don't know for mining

My Strix 1070's have worse mem clock than the Asus Dual 1070's I bought.

Could just be chance though.  Probably the same memory in both.

No idea about PNY.

When you say won't work, what's happening?  Do you have power to the GPU (are any lights lit up on it) without the 6 pin connected?  If you don't, then you definitely have a problem with the riser.

Can you see what's being detected on your board through your BIOS (like a board explorer or something)?  If so, does it show up detected in there?

My motherboard has an explorer function for the GPU's but it appears only to detect 16X cards plugged in directly to the board, anything on a riser doesn't show in the BIOS.

I'm letting the rig run for a while with 3 cards just for the sake of making me feel a bit better.

I know the 3rd GPU is working well and the riser its in is fine, will test all my risers and cards before attempting to reinstall any additional GPU's.