Ok... extreme times take extreme measures

Guest pocketrockets

Guest pocketrockets

I think they've already cut him off. It sounds like he is dealing with a collection agency. They could sue him, obtain a judgment, and then garnish him, but that would take a long time (3-4 months,) and generally won't be done for small amounts of money....especially if the place of employment is not known to the agency. They don't want to throw money away on filing fees if there is no reasonable chance of collection when executing on the judgment.

They have, I have been paying a $600 debt that turned into $1600 in 3 months now... and bare in mind I have already paid like $600 in late fees alone... Just got off the phone with them.

These fuckers want me to pay almost $500 today for a minimum charge of late fees in between the 2 cards...

Pretty much decided to fuck it... these fuckers can seize whatever shit they find, bank accounts I dont give a fuck

Fuckin thieves sucking me dry for a year now and now they tell me I owe $1600 more...

Fuck em.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest pocketrockets

$600 of credit card debit with no additional purchases made on the card(s) has become $1600 in 3 mths??

Sorry,. that came out confusing, I was just irritated after the chat with the cc company girl.

I was offered 2 credit cards March last year when I was unemployed (before working for George).. took em desperately... maxed them out for $600...  I didnt make a payment til around july/august (when I worked for George), payment was probably enough to prevent collection agency for 3 months more, mayube $180 or so... around december last year (3 months later) I made fuill late fee payments for like $220, thats when I was fired (and I Pmed you asking for those $220)... 

Now in February/March I made some payments to sustain in and in april made a $220 late fees payment to caught up... now 3 months later they tell me I need to make a $440 payment to caught up and after that id still owe $900 in one card and $600 on the other one

Im rounding as amounts are in colones, dont know, dont care, hopeless about this whole situation.

Cant afford this shit.

Guest boatboatboat

kinda understand

what is the intrest rate

what fee do they access.

Seems odd they say "give us 500 now" or pound sand. Would seem they would take any amount.

Costa Rican banks are thieves. I have a Visa signature card and I pay 47.75% in colones and 33% in dollars annually so if a signature card pays that much, a lower level card pays even more than that. If Im late on a payment I have to pay like $60 and the interest rate gets bumped to 49.75% for colones and 35% for dollars. I use my card to get points to travel and I always pay the whole thing on time but anyone using a credit card here and not paying it on time will get raped.

$600 of credit card debit with no additional purchases made on the card(s) has become $1600 in 3 mths??

Guest pocketrockets

kinda understand

what is the intrest rate

what fee do they access.

Seems odd they say "give us 500 now" or pound sand. Would seem they would take any amount.

after you get 3 months late they offer to "re-finance" the debt, basically so you make a big payment on both cards to start that process and then they add a lot to your principal, so a 1 year payment plant turns into a 3 year rapefest...

I accepted that they refinance both cards last december as I didnt have much option... they were demanding bigger payments to keep the original agreement, and offered the "help" to "refinance" for a smaller payment (but a noticeable increase in the debt)

now that im late again debt has basically tripled from the og amount... and they are offereing to refinance ONE CARD (visa is 3 months late, amex is 2) again to I make a $200 payment TODAY instead of $400 to keep the previous agreement.

Of course if I take the refinance, debt will increase again.

I basically hung myself financially with this.

Guest pocketrockets

Costa Rican banks are thieves. I have a Visa signature card and I pay 47.75% in colones and 33% in dollars annually so if a signature card pays that much, a lower level card pays even more than that. If Im late on a payment I have to pay like $60 and the interest rate gets bumped to 49.75% for colones and 35% for dollars. I use my card to get points to travel and I always pay the whole thing on time but anyone using a credit card here and not paying it on time will get raped.

yep, banks here have so much space to make your life miserable...

I get bombarded with 20 calls a day, emails, voice mails and text messages... threatening with cobro judicial

sometimes I just throw my phone in the laundry basket and pretend no one else exists

I think they've already cut him off. It sounds like he is dealing with a collection agency. They could sue him, obtain a judgment, and then garnish him, but that would take a long time (3-4 months,) and generally won't be done for small amounts of money....especially if the place of employment is not known to the agency. They don't want to throw money away on filing fees if there is no reasonable chance of collection when executing on the judgment.

You understand he lives in Costa Rica right? None of those USA laws apply

Guest pocketrockets

tell them to suck your dick, block out the numbers on your  phone. Not a damn thing they can do.

only mistake you made was not getting them for more loot

this is a possibility, if you intend to get a job that wont deposit your salary in the bank 

if you dont, and salary is deposited the bank is contacted by the cc company to seize a monthly percentage of the salary

a rapey percentage

You understand he lives in Costa Rica right? None of those USA laws apply

I understand that. The FDCPA governs USA collections and will not be applicable, but the collection process is far as legal procedure is the same. I googled Costa Rican collection laws before posting to make sure they did not have some sort of expedited process.

In the USA there is a big distinction between things you can say. . Here they can only say "recommend legal action." You cannot tell someone you're going to sue them unless you actually have the intent, and regurlarky sue people in course if business....and if they do and they don't, agency and collector are subject to a fine.

Most of the smaller agencies don't even have a legal departments. They rely on collectors who use scare tactics and sounds like it's the wild west as far as what they can do and say in Costa Rica. Your credit is already trashed Pocket, Don't let it stress you out.

Save up a lump sum and offer them a 70% settlement. Start at 50% and go from there. Likely with your history they will take it.

Guest pocketrockets

I understand that. The FDCPA governs USA collections and will not be applicable, but the collection process is far as legal procedure is the same. I googled Costa Rican collection laws before posting to make sure they did not have some sort of expedited process.

Pretty sure there are a lot of similarities..

I have no way of knowing when will they actually sue me and start a legal process.

Its all threats and hard dialogue so you cave in and pay pay pay. Thing is, the risk of adding up the cost of their lawyers to an already bloated debt is what fucks with my head...

I was gonna pay $200 today (turned $50 into $300 playing cards) and keep $50 for myself, and $100 to try and grind more profit... well, they are asking for a $200 payment to refinance and increase the VISA total... or pay $400 and + TODAY to keep the original agreement and be caught up again.

Pondering what to do here.

Guest pocketrockets

Think Id rather send Kolzig $100, buy booze and blow and call it a day.

Play some cards tomorrow see if I come up with a bigger tourney hit.

I mean, whats the fucking point really? I worry for something I cant fix

Guest pocketrockets

Good advice IAG... seems like the only option that is not financial suicide for me

Pretty sure that if I come up with some healthy amount theyll take it...

Gotta keep grinding.

Pretty sure there are a lot of similarities..

I have no way of knowing when will they actually sue me and start a legal process.

Its all threats and hard dialogue so you cave in and pay pay pay. Thing is, the risk of adding up the cost of their lawyers to an already bloated debt is what fucks with my head...

I was gonna pay $200 today (turned $50 into $300 playing cards) and keep $50 for myself, and $100 to try and grind more profit... well, they are asking for a $200 payment to refinance and increase the VISA total... or pay $400 and + TODAY to keep the original agreement and be caught up again.

Pondering what to do here.

I have sued and enforced judgment on over 40,000 people for bad debt. Trust me on this one. I know this business inside and out.

I doubt you have a checking account, but don't pay them with a personal check. Don't ever tell them where you are working. Ironically the more you pay the more they will push you to pay. They will have to serve you with papers if they go legal, which the won't...and again, if you start paying, they will think that if they sue you you will pay prior to court. Best to claim indigency if you have no assets or they are unaware of them. They would have to serve you a summons before they could execute on the judgment anyway, so don't answer your door to strangers.

Believe me, in the scheme of things you are a very small fish. They are not worried about you. I know it's distressing, but it's not as bad as it seems. Try to set up a small payment agreement if you wish, but make sure it's something you can and will do.

Normally I wouldn't suggest to anyone to not pay their bills, but it sounds like it's excessive down there.

If I were you PR I wouldnt pay them. Have it to go to cobro judicial and go in front of a judge and tell him you dont have any income but you are willing to settle the debt for a fixed monthly fee. Your credit record is probably fucked anyways and it will be clean within 4 years.

Guest pocketrockets

Lol, even Colombian mafia charges WAY WAY less on late fees... these CR banks are a fuckin trip IAG.

Thing is, we have universal healthcare, and that is paid as a MANDATORY monthly fee from your work place to the health care system. If get a job (which I urgently need to do) they will track me down thanks to this.

There is no escape unless I find a job that pays me via cash/check and dont report to the health care system, which is illegal (but some books do it).

I cant be picky choosing a job... cant go to an interview and demand I get paid cash only, and dont report for universal healthcare...

Thats the fucked up part. Otherwise im fine with then sucking on it as I already paid more than the original owned amount.

Guest pocketrockets

If I were you PR I wouldnt pay them. Have it to go to cobro judicial and go in front of a judge and tell him you dont have any income but you are willing to settle the debt for a fixed monthly fee. Your credit record is probably fucked anyways and it will be clean within 4 years.

I like this advice... im just pissed, I dont think they have moral grounds to charge me 500% what I owed originally, is a fuckin scam.

Do you think Ill have repercussions if I get a job and paid via bankwire?

Interesting. http://www.ticotimes.net/2011/07/01/no-protection-against-credit-harassment

It looks like you do have some rights there because they are representing a credit card company. You might research this more and throw out some legal language at them. It's a fine line though, because if you piss them off too much they may sue you for the hell of it. I don't know what the filing fees are there, but generally companies don't want to spend money they're not sure they will recoup.

Guest pocketrockets

Great article... nowhere in the same boat as Ms. Moraga.... obv her case has way more leverage for legal action, as she claims she didnt even knew her father (the debtor) that well...

I am currently being called and harassed by the cc company, once it goes to a collection agency is a different ball game I guess

I am dealing with the "good" guys now, lol.. they stop calling before 5pm, 7am to 5pm it rings.

That lady was being called at 10pm JFC.

ps... I dont thing I have grounds for any legal action... im fucked and just have to ignore their bs on a daily basis

Lol, even Colombian mafia charges WAY WAY less on late fees... these CR banks are a fuckin trip IAG.

Thing is, we have universal healthcare, and that is paid as a MANDATORY monthly fee from your work place to the health care system. If get a job (which I urgently need to do) they will track me down thanks to this.

There is no escape unless I find a job that pays me via cash/check and dont report to the health care system, which is illegal (but some books do it).

I cant be picky choosing a job... cant go to an interview and demand I get paid cash only, and dont report for universal healthcare...

Thats the fucked up part. Otherwise im fine with then sucking on it as I already paid more than the original owned amount.

In the very unlikely event that they sue you, and in the very unlikely event they actually track your job down, they can only take a portion of your check. Having a partial paycheck is better than having no paycheck. In Colorado we could take 25% of a paycheck provided there are no prior garnishments, or whatever is in a bank account. Sounds like it is probably going to be more in Costa Rica, but I would in no way let this figure into your decision making concerning a job. Even if you got garnished, at least it would then be paid off.

Great article... nowhere in the same boat as Ms. Moraga.... obv her case has way more leverage for legal action, as she claims she didnt even knew her father (the debtor) that well...

I am currently being called and harassed by the cc company, once it goes to a collection agency is a different ball game I guess

I am dealing with the "good" guys now, lol.. they stop calling before 5pm, 7am to 5pm it rings.

That lady was being called at 10pm JFC.

ps... I dont thing I have grounds for any legal action... im fucked and just have to ignore their bs on a daily basis

I didn't realize you were dealing with in-house collections I guess. I thought you were dealing with a collection agency. If they are stressing you out, you certainly don't want to deal with an agency. But you are nowhere close to even being sued. In the USA, many times once it goes to an agency the interest and fees stop. Of course I can't speak to Costa Rica on that, but you might actually be in a better position.

Guest pocketrockets

Interesting. Im glad I bumped this IAG... feel kinda less stressed now I guess.

Seems the constant threats are overrated...

Might have to change my phone number lol.