Off Topic moving in with someone

ERBtheGREAT

So I own my house and don't have a mortgage.  Dating a girl for a year now and we're thinking about living together at the start of the new year.

We both make the same salary.

We agreed to split everything 50/50, utilities, cable, groceries, etc.

My only question is about taxes on the house.  Do I just pay 100% of the property taxes if she is living here too?  I've had some people tell me yes because it's basically like a "utility" that comes with living in the house.  Other people tell me that I own 100% of the house so there's no reason for her to split taxes with me.  The taxes aren't crazy and my rental property covers all my expenses easily without even dipping into my paychecks, do I just forget about the taxes and pay them all?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I own my house and don't have a mortgage.  Dating a girl for a year now and we're thinking about living together at the start of the new year.

We both make the same salary.

We agreed to split everything 50/50, utilities, cable, groceries, etc.

My only question is about taxes on the house.  Do I just pay 100% of the property taxes if she is living here too?  I've had some people tell me yes because it's basically like a "utility" that comes with living in the house.  Other people tell me that I own 100% of the house so there's no reason for her to split taxes with me.  The taxes aren't crazy and my rental property covers all my expenses easily without even dipping into my paychecks, do I just forget about the taxes and pay them all?

Yes, you pay the taxes.

No because there is no rent. My thought would be atleast splitting taxes because I'd never charge rent that just seems tacky if I don't pay rent myself

I owned a home mortgage free also, but that didn't mean I let my roommate stay for basically free (other than utilities.). In that instance I charged rent, but I paid 100% of the property taxes.

No because there is no rent.  My thought would be atleast splitting taxes because I'd never charge rent that just seems tacky if I don't pay rent myself

The fact that you are own the property outright and don't have a payment should not impact her having to pay for rent.

But if you don't feel comfortable charging her rent, definitely would include property taxes.

why does the second poster  in threads always seem to  quote the OP's post in their reply? it was right above you, you are first to answer why clog the thread. Not knocking ACH everyone seems to do it.

I'd just pay the taxes myself

Habit. And thanks for noticing.

No because there is no rent.  My thought would be atleast splitting taxes because I'd never charge rent that just seems tacky if I don't pay rent myself

I'm as tight as they come and would not even think about it. If this is love that would be pretty tacky. A roommate would be different.

Disagree, they make the same amount of money....she is getting the benefit of living rent/mortgage free. She should at least contribute toward the taxes. Whether or not he makes it a requirement, that's a little awkward, but I would hope that she would step up and offer.