Off Topic moving in with someone

ERBtheGREAT

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Monkey's did not last so he is biased. Maybe some clues as to why.

Don't kid yourself.  Most don't last.  The only regret I have is that I wish I would have taken the advice I'm giving today.  Would have saved myself a lot of drama in my 20's.

It's absolutely stupid to hand over someone else the advantage in the business end of a relationship.  A relationship is a business deal.  No matter how much love there is.

So I own my house and don't have a mortgage.  Dating a girl for a year now and we're thinking about living together at the start of the new year.

We both make the same salary.

We agreed to split everything 50/50, utilities, cable, groceries, etc.

My only question is about taxes on the house.  Do I just pay 100% of the property taxes if she is living here too?  I've had some people tell me yes because it's basically like a "utility" that comes with living in the house.  Other people tell me that I own 100% of the house so there's no reason for her to split taxes with me.  The taxes aren't crazy and my rental property covers all my expenses easily without even dipping into my paychecks, do I just forget about the taxes and pay them all?

So ERB what you think about what's been said here...give me that and then I'll give my old man advice

If you live in wb, you should pay her to be a possible human shield when shit goes down.

Bad parts in every town, I live in a nice part of town hasn't been a crime in over 10 years.  Nice neighborhood with lots of families I've known my whole life, not worried about living here.  Eventually moving to mountain top, though.  I want more land.

So ERB what you think about what's been said here...give me that and then I'll give my old man advice

Honestly I'm still undecided.  She has offered to pay 50/50 split of everything already, utilities, food,cable/internet, etc.  I love to cook, she does all of the cleaning, laundry, etc.  We went for chinese tonight, some groceries etc. and she wouldn't even let me pay because I bought dinner when we went out Sunday.  Honestly I feel like I'm not even going to push the issue.  When the bill for the taxes come it will be on the kitchen table, if she sees it and offers something towards it fine, if she doesn't it wouldn't really bother me.  I was just wondering if anyone was in this kind of situation and how they handled it, what's proper etiquette, etc.

Would she be renting otherwise?  I'd make her pay more than the property taxes since you'd be saving her a lot more than that.  Charge her double your property taxes per month.  You both benefit then.

Otherwise, she's easily getting the best of it.

You are one(1) sorry mother fucker.

Geez.

Dave "The MeatMan" Scandaliato

Don't kid yourself.  Most don't last.  The only regret I have is that I wish I would have taken the advice I'm giving today.  Would have saved myself a lot of drama in my 20's.

It's absolutely stupid to hand over someone else the advantage in the business end of a relationship.  A relationship is a business deal.  No matter how much love there is.

You are one(1) sorry mother fucker kid.

Geez part #2.

Dave "The MeatMan" Scandaliato

Honestly I'm still undecided.  She has offered to pay 50/50 split of everything already, utilities, food,cable/internet, etc.  I love to cook, she does all of the cleaning, laundry, etc.  We went for chinese tonight, some groceries etc. and she wouldn't even let me pay because I bought dinner when we went out Sunday.  Honestly I feel like I'm not even going to push the issue.  When the bill for the taxes come it will be on the kitchen table, if she sees it and offers something towards it fine, if she doesn't it wouldn't really bother me.  I was just wondering if anyone was in this kind of situation and how they handled it, what's proper etiquette, etc.

From the sound of that it sounds like your're somewhat unsure where this relationship is going but more than willing to give it a shot....so with that being said just know your states laws in case it goes not so well and you need to not live together....I would talk to an attorney if not sure....and if you don't mind moving if it doesn't work out but think things will be good long term you could always offer to sell her 50% of the house....then you would be 50-50 partners and could just sell or buy out later if things don't go according to plan....I'm an optimist and hope things work great for you and your girl....but unfortunately the business side has to be considered....oh and as to the taxes if you think it's going to work it's not a bad investment in the relationship...pretty cheap really

https://youtu.be/JEdBndu0YUM