$6K Bitcoin

Sam Odom

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok so when will the new fork take place

#2. Which websites will give you coins for btcgold and regular btc after the fork is completed. I know I shouldnt be asking these questions but Im a lazy fuck and I missed out on the btcclassic give away during the last fork.

Thanks in advance

As far as I can gather, the Bitcoin Gold fork has already occurred. The Bitcoin 2x fork is happening mid November and Coinbase is giving a 1:1 allocation it appears. That’s as far as I’ve gotten. I too missed the boat on Bitcoin Cash, so have been trying to read up, but most of the real technical stuff goes over my head. Here is what Conbase says

https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/2892985-segwit-2x-faq

As far as I can gather, the Bitcoin Gold fork has already occurred. The Bitcoin 2x fork is happening mid November and Coinbase is giving a 1:1 allocation it appears. That’s as far as I’ve gotten. I too missed the boat on Bitcoin Cash, so have been trying to read up, but most of the real technical stuff goes over my head. Here is what Conbase says

https://support.coinbase.com/customer/portal/articles/2892985-segwit-2x-faq

Thanks IAG. I dont want to send my btc to a US based company so Ill try to find another site. Ill ask your friend Plommer if he has any info about that.

Jorge, if you don't want your coins on a USA exchange, just before the fork, move your coins to a wallet that allows you to access your keys (like Bitcoin Core, Electrum, etc.). After the fork, you can move your BTC back to wherever you had them prior to the fork and you'll be able to access the forked coins using the same private key(s) with a forked wallet.

One of the advantages of keeping your coins on an exchange like Coinbase, Bittrex, or Poloniex is that you may be able to trade the forked coins faster. So, you can sell them right away if they drop in price quickly.

Jorge, if you don't want your coins on a USA exchange, just before the fork, move your coins to a wallet that allows you to access your keys (like Bitcoin Core, Electrum, etc.). After the fork, you can move your BTC back to wherever you had them prior to the fork and you'll be able to access the forked coins using the same private key(s) with a forked wallet.

One of the advantages of keeping your coins on an exchange like Coinbase, Bittrex, or Poloniex is that you may be able to trade the forked coins faster. So, you can sell them right away if they drop in price quickly.

I have my coins in Electrum but I want to move them to a place that will also give you Goldbitcoins as its free money. Bittrex or Poloniex are they US based?

The Bitcoin Gold fork already happened. The Segwit2x fork is the one that's about to happen. If you have your coins in Electrum, you can pull the private key(s) for the address(es) that had coins in them during the fork. If you had coins in your wallet during the Bitcoin Gold fork, you'll have to download a Bitcoin Gold wallet and add those keys so you can access the forked coins. The same will apply to the Segwit2x fork.

Sorry, don't put your coins on Bittrex or Poloniex for the Segwit2x fork. They are US-based and they haven't stated that they will credit accounts with forked coins. Bitfinex may be an option though if you are okay with putting your coins on a Hong Kong exchange.

Honestly, it's much easier to put your coins on an exchange that will credit the forked coins if you're not well-versed in the tech side of the coins. That way, you don't have to mess with multiple wallets and moving coins around as much.

Honestly, it's much easier to put your coins on an exchange that will credit the forked coins if you're not well-versed in the tech side of the coins. That way, you don't have to mess with multiple wallets and moving coins around as much.

I had read should take coins off exchange during the BCC fork for safety reasons, and that I could always claim later if I put in a mobile wallet like Airbitz, so that is what I did. I didn’t realize what a PITA it would be for a non-tech type to later extract the BCC. Was scared of screwing up and losing BTC so I just let it go which cost me. Is there any added danger to holding coins on an exchange during a fork other than the normal security risk? (And potential temp transaction freeze..) (Assuming I can find one that will match coins) Or am I better off holding in mobile and seeking out an expert to extract for me later?

Appreciate your help Monkey.