$6K Bitcoin

Sam Odom

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had read should take coins off exchange during the BCC fork for safety reasons, and that I could always claim later if I put in a mobile wallet like Airbitz, so that is what I did. I didn’t realize what a PITA it would be for a non-tech type to later extract the BCC. Was scared of screwing up and losing BTC so I just let it go which cost me. Is there any added danger to holding coins on an exchange during a fork other than the normal security risk? (And potential temp transaction freeze..) (Assuming I can find one that will match coins) Or am I better off holding in mobile and seeking out an expert to extract for me later?

Appreciate your help Monkey.

The risk of keeping them on an exchange is really pretty small these days.

coinbase, if you consider that an exchange.

I wondered since you typed coin desk above which is a news site, Figured u meant Coinbase, Anyway, If i were you I would sit tight as long as you are ok with not having access to the funds for a couple days. I know CB is supposed to give the new coins, but they haven’t even paid out BitCoin Cash yet, so not 100% if you will have immediate access or not. Of course I don’t think they planned to give BCC initially, so a little different scenario.

I’m waiting to see what Bittrex is doing, No info yet.

Coinbase was never going to honor Bitcoin Cash. There was a statement about it from them before the BCC fork.

Right, but they later turned tail and said they would, but pretty sure they still haven’t distributed the BCC yet. That’s why I’m saying the segwit 2 coins will probably be accessible earlier, because they have planned to give from the get-go.

Just found this on their site

“After the fork, we will enable access when we have determined each blockchain is secure and stable. We expect this to happen within a few days after the fork, but it may take longer if additional risks emerge.”

Didn’t Bittrex give the BCC access almost immediately? I think that is where Raiders was able to sell his at a good price before most people had theirs yet. I think. Might have been Bitfinex, I often confuse the two,

Just found this on their site

“After the fork, we will enable access when we have determined each blockchain is secure and stable. We expect this to happen within a few days after the fork, but it may take longer if additional risks emerge.”

Didn’t Bittrex give the BCC access almost immediately? I think that is where Raiders was able to sell his at a good price before most people had theirs yet. I think. Might have been Bitfinex, I often confuse the two,

Probably just a cautionary timetable.

I have accounts at all three (Poloniex absolutely gutted me in fees when I had no other buy options early on) so I refuse to transfer anything there. I hold most of my BTC off exchanges. I know you did well with BCC after fork. I left mine in a mobile wallet and never cashed in on that deal. I’ve been reading how even taking into consideration any additional new coin money, might be a substantial drop in both, would make one consider selling prior to the fork....getting out til dust settles.....and especially if I am not comfortable moving to an exchange. I guess I’ll see what happens as we get closer.

Futures at about 20% of BTC last I saw...is that right?

Just realized it was not Poloniex that killed me in fees, it was CEX.IO. I used Poloniex around the same time, and got them confused. Anyway, just clearing Poloniex’s name. CEXIO is the one who had absolutely absurd fees...they get you every which way.

Deposit to buy on a CC is 3.5%, then they charge you 7% on each purchase.

Avoid.

IAG, you can purchase BC from me free of charge anytime.

Thanks FH, I, good for now. I already have invested substantially more than originally planned. I only used CEXIO with Coinbase at the start because they had instant buys available without the lengthy waiting periods of other exchanges. May be interested after the fork, but have to see how that goes first.