How high will bitcoin go?

WVU

13 minutes ago, WVU said:

never tried Gemini, but I guess I should.  It is amazing the difference in prices at these exchanges.  It's exactly like line shopping at slow moving books

I don’t have the inclination or patience for that, but, at least in the day, Mil Mike used to buy,move, and sell at diff exchanges.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, WVU said:

tent city is currently scrambling and acting on the advice of the kingpin.  Sock drawers are being cleaned out and mattresses turned over, everyone in tent city is getting in on the coin rush.

LOL. Did you see the song I dedicated to you in the “Dedicate a song to a poster” thread?

2 hours ago, WeinkeToWarrick said:

Really fuckin shady how coinbase has errors whenever the price drops like a fucking rock. Also fuck this sucks when the price drops like a rock.

It’s still up today lol.  

But yeah the exchanges going down when hits big number and retracing has always been a problem...probably doing OTC deals or something. If you are going to sell do it before it hits a big fat round number I guess.   

Just now, Jimmy Hoffa said:

I have a fundamental BTC question likely to include several follow-up questions. 

It's likely after your bedtime, but I wanted to go on the record as to noting this matter...

I’ll be up for a bit if you would like to continue with a line of questioning. 

6 hours ago, Jimmy Hoffa said:

My questioning begins with this, is there a supply and demand component to price changes?

We're going to need a Zoom call with a whiteboard function...

LOL.  Will answer a bit later after I wake up.  Just so happy we came back with another ATH.  Crypto never sleeps....never know what you will find when you wake up. ..was a bit nervous last night I must admit. 

45 minutes ago, Jimmy Hoffa said:

We can determine with some relative certainty what will move stocks.

Covid hits and social distancing starts, theatre chain stocks go down. Spot oil prices rise and oil company stocks go up...

Cause and effect, A+B=C.

Are there causes and effects that move BTC?

Sure...but more generic other than industry specific imo...mostly things tied to the general economy (inflation)and news and industry FUD, FOMO...Crypto used to be more difficult to determine  cause and effect due to so many “whales” holding the majority allowing for easy manipulation, tons of Youtube and social media pump and dumps ...hacks, bans, regulation..  2017 was much fairer comparison to tulips and ponzis....

Jamie Dimon of JP Morgan made infamous fraud comments then and later it came out his company was secretly buying BTC for some of their customers.  FF 2021...Now Chase is calling for 146k per BTC valuation.   

The reason for the increase in 2020-21 is obviously continued institutional and retail buying giving legitimacy....esp PayPal, Square etc....wealthy investors coming in fearing collapse of USD...as far as what will affect  the price other than profit taking, think of it as digital gold and same things that may affect any alternate store of value/currency in terms of price causation, and add in the fear and potential for government regulation and any exchange hacking news or country specific bans.    It’s a completely different ballgame this time around...it’s not chump change by offshore bettors and local drug dealers...the big boys are playing.   
There may be other factors that affect some of the alts, but I’ve become a short term BTC maximalist, and don’t know enough about tech on the other 1000 plus coins to know what might affect those individually.   

My advice would be not to try to trade anything, stay away from alts for now (WVU and MT may disagree) and take a comfortable position in BTC and be prepared to HODL...regulation will have the biggest price effect...time will tell there. 

I just Google “Bitcoin” or “Bitcoin news” every hour or two and follow Twitter peeps...there are mostly a handful of  sources...pretty easy to keep up with anything that will affect price.  

1 minute ago, IAG said:

Sure...but more generic other than industry specific imo...mostly things tied to the general economy (inflation)and news and industry FUD, FOMO...Crypto used to be more difficult to determine  cause and effect due to so many “whales” holding the majority allowing for easy manipulation, tons of Youtube and social media pump and dumps ...hacks, bans, regulation..  2017 was much fairer comparison to tulips and ponzis....

Jamie Dimon of JP Morgan made infamous fraud comments then and later it came out his company was secretly buying BTC for some of their customers.  FF 2021...Now Chase is calling for 146k per BTC valuation.   

The reason for the increase in 2020-21 is obviously continued institutional and retail buying giving legitimacy....esp PayPal, Square etc....wealthy investors coming in fearing collapse of USD...as far as what will affect  the price other than profit taking, think of it as digital gold and same things that may affect any alternate store of value/currency in terms of price causation, and add in the fear and potential for government regulation and any exchange hacking news or country specific bans.    It’s a completely different ballgame this time around...it’s not chump change by offshore bettors and local drug dealers...the big boys are playing.   
There may be other factors that affect some of the alts, but I’ve become a short term BTC maximalist, and don’t know enough about tech on the other 1000 plus coins to know what might affect those individually.   

My advice would be not to try to trade anything, stay away from alts for now (WVU and MT may disagree) and take a comfortable position in BTC and be prepared to HODL...regulation will have the biggest price effect...time will tell there. 

I just Google “Bitcoin” or “Bitcoin news” every hour or two and follow Twitter peeps...there are mostly a handful of  sources...pretty easy to keep up with anything that will affect price.  

Caveat...this should not be considered “financial advice” (despite above use of word “advice”) and the opinions expressed are strictly my own. Lol. 

4 hours ago, Jimmy Hoffa said:

I'm just blind to the trends that move BTC one way or the other.

Without a road map of some kind it's purely speculative investing to my thinking, coin flipping if you will...

about 900 btc are mined every day

just paypal and gbtc are buying about 900 btc/day... so the supply vs demand equation is still out of whack

btc has been on a steady upswing since paypal went crypto, no reason to think that's suddenly going to change, so i would still buy every dip, sure it might go lower (there have been 3 80%+ drops) but 100k this year is way more likely than 10k