January is generally the slowest month for restaurants in Minnesota. The after-holiday lull, trendy dry January and frigid weather are usually the biggest contributors.

This year, though, restaurateurs say they’re also contending with customers who don’t want to comply with rules that they must mask up when not seated and show their vaccine cards to dine in.

DeGidio’s owner Jason Tschida is running a buy-one, get-one-free cocktail special to try to get people in the door. A few nights ago, the West Seventh institution had just two reservations.

“My numbers are down 21% from January 2020,” Tschida said. “I’m down $50,000 in one month. With higher labor costs and supply costs higher than they’ve ever been — not to mention property taxes and licensing have gone up. This is crazy after we just got beat up for two years.”

Tschida said he’s heard from plenty of diners — through email, social media and even the app he uses for reservations — that they won’t be coming to St. Paul until the vaccine mandate is over. Some are even threatening to stay out of the city for good. He said he’s not against vaccination — in fact, he held several vaccine clinics for restaurant workers at DeGidio’s — but he doesn’t want his staff to be forced to be the “vaccine police.” He also said he has yet to see numbers that prove a link between dining out and getting the virus.

“Show me the data that restaurants are the causation of this,” Tschida said. “And I’ll shut up.”

Stephen Hesse, co-owner of Pajarito, Lucky’s 13, The Clover and more, said his one city location, Pajarito in St. Paul, has been a ghost town — he estimates sales are down 40 to 50 percent from a normal month. Conversely, his suburban restaurants are busier than usual.

“People are definitely crossing the border, especially at places close to St. Paul or Minneapolis, because of the mandate,” Hesse said. “At our Roseville location, the manager told me he’s hearing from a lot of people that they’re coming for that reason. And their sales are up from last year.”

These owners aren’t just worried for themselves — they will likely weather the storm. They’re worried for employees, especially front-of-house staff, who are missing out on crucial tip wages.

“Really, I want to make it about my staff,” Tschida said. “I can survive for 30 or 40 days, but I can’t make everyone whole.”

Tschida said at least one staff member has been driving for DoorDash to try to make ends meet until business picks up. He’s worried that others might leave, and that’s a real problem for all restaurants during a time when staff has been hard to come by.

“We’re just going to try and retain as many employees as we can,” Shimp said.