Needed: Floor Tile expert

IAG

Tile is DOWN. But now I can't get to my shower. I didn't think to ask, and guy didn't tell me, that I can't walk on the tile for a day. I've been working outside, and really need a shower. There is bathtub upstairs, but not the same...and all the hair products in the shower. Argggggh. Would it be really bad to walk on it prematurely?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tile is DOWN. But now I can't get to my shower. I didn't think to ask, and guy didn't tell me, that I can't walk on the tile for a day. I've been working outside, and really need a shower. There is bathtub upstairs, but not the same...and all the hair products in the shower. Argggggh. Would it be really bad to walk on it prematurely?

Don't walk on it.

If you have to absolutely walk on it then lay down a piece of wood on top to distribute the weight out a bit.  I wouldn't recommend even doing that.

If you have to absolutely walk on it then lay down a piece of wood on top to distribute the weight out a bit.  I wouldn't recommend even doing that.

Yeah, I won't...I'm going to go out and at least get some shampoo, or go to the gym....probably just take a bath and wash hair in sink. He said tomorrow morning would be ok....

Do you all think it will be ok to shower then?

• 2 years later...

IAG you said the vinyl tile tile that is down is very old, do you know what size it is? a lot of old 9 x 9 tile or tile adhesives contain asbestos which you wouldn't want to disturbe.

Should have paid more attention to what Superman was saying here. Now that I’m ready to do the whole basement they tell me they won’t do u til I get asbestos test. No idea who to even call for this. I have looked in the phonebook but don’t see anything that looks like will accommodate a simple residential test.

How much is this test going to cost me? Also I’ve already disturbed some of the tiles....fug.

Should have paid more attention to what Superman was saying here. Now that I’m ready to do the whole basement they tell me they won’t do u til I get asbestos test. No idea who to even call for this. I have looked in the phonebook but don’t see anything that looks like will accommodate a simple residential test.

How much is this test going to cost me? Also I’ve already disturbed some of the tiles....fug.

if it is 9 x 9 tile then 95% chance it is asbestos.  The test inspection is about $500 and usually requires a $200 follow up.  The removal cost will also be a grand or more depending on the size.  total cost maybe $2000 to $2500.  You will get quotes all over the place especially being a female.

if it is 9 x 9 tile then 95% chance it is asbestos. The test inspection is about $500 and usually requires a $200 follow up. The removal cost will also be a grand or more depending on the size. total cost maybe $2000 to $2500. You will get quotes all over the place especially being a female.

Well Fok! $500 for a test??? The tiles are 12 x12. What a pita. It’s a fairly large area. I asked Brick, and he said they are usually able to paint/seal seal them without having to pull them up, but my people want a test, and if it’s positive they won’t do anything til removed.

There are probably 5-6 broken ones. I was trying to pull them up myself. Good Lord. This is cutting into my hardwood budget...may end up with something else.

Ask them to put Hardiboard down and tile over.

I don’t think they will because some have been pulled up and would be uneven? ..now I know why the guy who did the bathroom just went over them. May be that I have to go with a different company who is less stringent, but I really don’t want further exposure if there is a legit problem, and don’t want problems of disclosure when selling house.

What kind of place should I call for test?

Who are these people that are ordering you around? Go get someone else. You're  doing them a favor by hiring them, not the other way around.

Montgomery’s. Working with them on several interior things.

Same ones with the $500 throw pillows lol

I'm sorry, i didn't read the whole thread, so you want some tile/flooring put down and they want you to do a bunch of bogus stuff? Like i said, dont let them dictate what you do, you hire them to do what YOU want.

I'm sorry, i didn't read the whole thread, so you want some tile/flooring put down and they want you to do a bunch of bogus stuff? Like i said, dont let them dictate what you do, you hire them to do what YOU want.

They want me to have an asbestos test done before messing with the flooring. The thread was started last year before I did a bathroom, but that’s been done.