Needed: Floor Tile expert

IAG

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So 2nd guy came back with a bid of $585 (not inclusive of tile) which is higher than first guy, but I like him better. I do want to ask hiim about what you were referring to WVU ...about the corners. Can you tell me exactly how to word that so I can email him?

His quote included the grout, but I want to make sure I get the good stuff like X said. I guess I can just tell him that, and he can increase the amount by whatever the difference is.

Any other final things I should ask before officially hiring this guy?

depends on the look you are going for, but if you want tile better mention it to your guy before so no surprises on price.  otherwise just go buy some base trim and stain ior paint it yourself, then have someone come put it in.

Lol. You're funny Brick. But I will find someone to do that for me! Yeah,I think that is the route I'll take...thanks for ur help!

Have the guy install tile as your baseboard. Do not bring in another tradesmen to install wood trim. It will cost your more in the end.

The correct way would be to "undercut" the door. Meaning to cut the door jamb up a little and slide tile in underneath. It's a better look then having the tile cut in an odd pattern around your door.

585 seems a bit high for labor only for a small bathroom. If this guy is a pro a small bathroom is not a full day's work. If you like the guy and don't want to continue to get quotes tell him the job is his IF he includes the tile base for you in his original bid.

Again if the guy is a pro he won't be using cheap thinset, but I'd inquire what exact type he'd be using just to make sure. It will also show him you're on your game.

I personally like a brick pattern as opposed to a conventional set. Google images will show you both and make your choice.

Go with brick please.

Have the guy install tile as your baseboard. Do not bring in another tradesmen to install wood trim. It will cost your more in the end.

The correct way would be to "undercut" the door. Meaning to cut the door jamb up a little and slide tile in underneath. It's a better look then having the tile cut in an odd pattern around your door.

585 seems a bit high for labor only for a small bathroom. If this guy is a pro a small bathroom is not a full day's work. If you like the guy and don't want to continue to get quotes tell him the job is his IF he includes the tile base for you in his original bid.

Again if the guy is a pro he won't be using cheap thinset, but I'd inquire what exact type he'd be using just to make sure. It will also show him you're on your game.

I personally like a brick pattern as opposed to a conventional set. Google images will show you both and make your choice.

Go with brick please.

I already hired him..honestly I just want this over. Inset is the trim? If this is going to require me to make any more decisions about tile...color etc..I can't deal..., I just want to get this part done , and I will worry about the trim later. I really just need to get the bathroom put together before I have company.

Thinset is the mortar.

Get in touch with him and tell him you want tile on the wall in place of baseboard(trim)

Don't worry about it later, worry about it now or it's going to cost significantly more money to come back set up and do more work.

It's not more decisions..it will be the same color you already picked.

Please dont piss away money.

Ok. Lol at me trying to have an intelligent conversation with this guy about tile

1. Is going to shoot me a new quote with border included.

2. Said the epoxy will add about $120. does this sound right? Is it really worth it? This small floor going to end up costing me a dime. Does it look better ot is it a maintenance deal?

3. He said he uses Detrocet (sp?) thinset. says can use mapel. but thanks this is better? Is this ok?

Ok. Lol at me trying to have an intelligent conversation with this guy about tile

1. Is going to shoot me a new quote with border included.

2. Said the epoxy will add about $120. does this sound right? Is it really worth it? This small floor going to end up costing me a dime. Does it look better ot is it a maintenance deal?

3. He said he uses Detrocet (sp?) thinset. says can use mapel. but thanks this is better? Is this ok?

2. Sounds about right. And yes it's more about maintenance. Stain proof and mildew proof. Never have to do anything to it again. Regular sanded grout needs to be sealed every few years and can deteriorate over time. Epoxy is a one shot deal.

3. Never heard of Detrocet so I can't compare it to Mapei. I've used Mapei and its a solid product. Not quite as good as Laticrete but good.

GL.