Fournette will not be playing in the Citrus Bowl

Sharp Square

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its bullshit that he and McCaffrey are sitting.  Very selfish.  Basically saying fuck you to all their teammates.  

Says a lot about their character IMO.  I'd pass if I were an NFL GM..

McCaf mentioned his teammates in his statement and said they supported his decision. Im sure not all do, but if im his teammate and an actual friend of his i absolutely support his decision

The game means nothing, esp for teams that expected to compete for the playoffs (both LSU and Stanford had those expectations/hopes entering the year). So if you care even one iota about the young men themselves you understand this is what is best for THEM

People can play up the team angle all the want, and im sure these guys do care about their teammates, but like everyone else in the world they care about themselves more. Unless the outraged fans are going to pay them the millions theyd lose out on if they got injured pretty ridiculous to demand they play. Ask the ND linebacker from last year who was a top 5 pre bowl game then suffered a serious injury and fell to a 2nd rd pick and may never have a great nfl career due to this injury 

McCaf mentioned his teammates in his statement and said they supported his decision. Im sure not all do, but if im his teammate and an actual friend of his i absolutely support his decision

The game means nothing, esp for teams that expected to compete for the playoffs (both LSU and Stanford had those expectations/hopes entering the year). So if you care even one iota about the young men themselves you understand this is what is best for THEM

People can play up the team angle all the want, and im sure these guys do care about their teammates, but like everyone else in the world they care about themselves more. Unless the outraged fans are going to pay them the millions theyd lose out on if they got injured pretty ridiculous to demand they play. Ask the ND linebacker from last year who was a top 5 pre bowl game then suffered a serious injury and fell to a 2nd rd pick and may never have a great nfl career due to this injury 

Typical libtarded response Tripper.  Not surprised.

I just believe you do the right thing, no matter what the possible consequences.  These schools gave these kids scholarships to play football.  They should honor their commitment until they are eligible to declare for the draft.  The season is not over yet.  Play football. 

you ready to start another contest ?

Typical libtarded response Tripper.  Not surprised.

I just believe you do the right thing, no matter what the possible consequences.  These schools gave these kids scholarships to play football.  They should honor their commitment until they are eligible to declare for the draft.  The season is not over yet.  Play football. 

Thats the thing D, the "right thing" is completely subjective. YOU may see the right thing as playing every game, i see it completely differently.

These schools use and abuse these young men, making hundreds of millions off their hard work and talent. Yes many get a degree out of it, how useful those degrees end up being would make for a great study. For someone like Fournette or McCaf its completely useless (would assume they arent graduating anyways).

Why do people go to universities and college? So they can help themselves get a good job and earn a good living in their chosen profession. Both young men already have that opportunity. They will make more from their first contract than most make in a lifetime. One thing that could slow that down or completely stop that from happening? Suffering an extreme injury in a pointless bowl game. They owe it to themselves and their families to be smart about their career

Put it this way diabs, if a young man or woman were given a competitive business scholarship to attend a fine university, but they dropped out in the middle of their 2nd or 3rd year because they had the skills and resources already to become an independent entrepreneur and make a ton of money, would you look down on them?

Hell you are a repub, those kind of people are your bread and butter. Successful capitalist that do it on their own. How it that different? They recieved a scholarship with the understanding that theyd complete their degree and represent the university moving forward, but this person realized they no longer needed what the school was providing and left. What is wrong with that?  

Bullshit. Nobody forced these kids to accept a college scholarship and play football. They knew what the signed up for. If one truly feels they are being exploited, then don't buy into the system. Simple.

Thats incredible short sighted 

There are plenty of systems out in the world that exploit people, but people must buy in due to lack of options. Thats the point, the establishment (in this case the NCAA) has all the leverage. 

The option for young HS football players that see a pro future is simple; play NCAA and play by their subjectively unfair rules or be forgotten. 

What is wrong with that?  

Ive already told you what I think is wrong with it.  I think its selfish.  You are part of a TEAM and made a commitment.  You don't turn your back on your teammates because its personally beneficial to you.  You obviously don't agree.  So this is gonna have to be one of those agree to disagree things. 

No.  Its the truth.  If one truly thinks they are being exploited, then they have no right to bitch and complain about it if they choose to buy into it.  Its that simple. 

No its not. Not remotely. You can think/realize you are being exploited while also realizing there is no better alternative. Does not change that you are being exploited. 

Like i said if im a HS athlete im signing up for NCAA football wherever i think will get me drafted the highest. Does not change how i feel about the organization, but its either be exploited by these guys making a ton of money off my work, let them use me for a couple years and then bounce for my pay day or give up on a professional dream that would net me millions.

But yes clear we are on opposite sides here and neither of us are going to agree with the other. 

Ive already told you what I think is wrong with it.  I think its selfish.  You are part of a TEAM and made a commitment.  You don't turn your back on your teammates because its personally beneficial to you.  You obviously don't agree.  So this is gonna have to be one of those agree to disagree things. 

Of course you do. It's the minor leagues of the NFL.

Fournette has a kid; how irresponsible would it be for his family if he played, got hurt and cost himself millions of dollars.

College is about setting yourself up for the future; doing whatever is in the best interest for your future. The best move for his future is to not play. He gains nothing from the game and could lose a ton.

It's not like McCaffrey is poor and his family needs the money.  He also has a huge insurance policy.  He should play.

Otherwise I'd understand the idea.   But, when do you stop playing?   Might as well just start sitting out your junior year and training for draft if you are super good.

It's not like McCaffrey is poor and his family needs the money.  He also has a huge insurance policy.  He should play.

Otherwise I'd understand the idea.   But, when do you stop playing?   Might as well just start sitting out your junior year and training for draft if you are super good.

Thats pretty much what Clowney did. Obv not to that extent, but sat out a few games and noticeably took it easy on the field at times to not risk injury, much to the dismay of many viewers/fans. And he still went #1. 

Plenty argued that Fournette should have opted to sit out the entire season this year.

I think the only issue with that is there is potential to severely impact your draft stock if you sit out the entire year. Out of sight, out of mind. People will question what your current playing ability is etc. This is one game, and a meaningless game for both teams (no playoffs, or big time bowl win on the line that either school will be promoting to recruits or alums), so it doesnt matter.

Maybe matters to some fans in attendance that want to watch their fav current player for the last time but at the end of the day really who cares, its not about them 

Also i get the point with mcCaf not NEEDING the money, but its also his future. Theres value in being a self made man id say, not living off his parents money, and he im sure wants a good nfl career just for professional pride. Nothing in the upcoming bowl game will help him in is pro career. Something could severely hurt him though

Hey Tripp, you should probably go check out Jaylen Smith (the Notre Dame linebacker)'s latest tweet.

He said he still would have played.

And that would be his call. Im not going to call anybody stupid for making the choice that satisfies them the most. If they have no problem with the risk/reward then all the power to them the college game likely means a lot to them (ND was in a pretty big bowl game though werent they? vs Ohio st also who were defending champs. LSU/Stanford in very shitty games compared to preseason expectations)

But regardless im sure many feel the same as him, which is fine. But also not going to say negative things about a kid doing what is best for his professional future. 

Much like when everyone was giving Harvey shit for at first not wanting to pitch playoffs, of course not caring at all that if he did (against doc recommendation) he theoretically increases his odds of injury and loses out on possible 200 M type future contract. 

These guys are all replaceable to fans. If they lay it on the line and get hurt, oh well on to the next guy. Meanwhile their lives/future earning power are severely impacted