WTF is with the Inauguration Entertainment

The Dark Man

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rare earth minerals is a poor name they are plentiful in the earth crust, china has a bunch of developed mines (especially lanthanum) yes but many more can and could and will be found.  

cerium for example a big one in chemical polishing, batteries, catalysts for car converters,   is  65 part per million  in the crust about the same as copper.

I would not lose sleep over a lack of rare earth metals

clean water more of a long term issue 

I would. You don't even have permits to mine them.

as Try and wiki pointed out, rare elements aren't exactly rare:

Despite their name, rare earth elements are – with the exception of the radioactive promethium – relatively plentiful in Earth's crust, with cerium being the 25th most abundant element at 68 parts per million, or as abundant as copper. They are not especially rare, but they tend to occur together in nature and are difficult to separate from one another. However, because of their geochemical properties, rare earth elements are typically dispersed and not often found concentrated as rare earth minerals in economically exploitable ore deposits.[3] The first such mineral discovered was gadolinite, a mineral composed of cerium, yttrium, iron, silicon and other elements. This mineral was extracted from a mine in the village of Ytterby in Sweden; four of the rare earth elements bear names derived from this single location.

as Try and wiki pointed out, rare elements aren't exactly rare:

Despite their name, rare earth elements are – with the exception of the radioactive promethium – relatively plentiful in Earth's crust, with cerium being the 25th most abundant element at 68 parts per million, or as abundant as copper. They are not especially rare, but they tend to occur together in nature and are difficult to separate from one another. However, because of their geochemical properties, rare earth elements are typically dispersed and not often found concentrated as rare earth minerals in economically exploitable ore deposits.[3] The first such mineral discovered was gadolinite, a mineral composed of cerium, yttrium, iron, silicon and other elements. This mineral was extracted from a mine in the village of Ytterby in Sweden; four of the rare earth elements bear names derived from this single location.

No you just don't have any.

The Term Rare Earth is a scientific term used to designate 17 minerals with  high atomic weight, it has nothing to do with their abundance.