Share your accomplishments in the athletic arena

Sol Diabler

OHIO has been a football hot bed for a half century and beyond.........

.......and actually, PER CAPITA, in terms of NFL players the past 20 years, IOWA has to rank very, very high.

Only about 3 million people in the entire state.

It appears Marshan Yanda is headed for a HOF career with the Ravens, my good friend and teammate in HS was his head football coach in HS......

Guest boatboatboat

Pat around here at least its the following IMO

Genetics. Kids are just big here. HS with 35 kids on the team total will have O-lines with 2-3 kids over 250 lbs. HS basketball teams will have a duo of kids 6 foot 5.

heck my daughter is 5 foot 11.

next is its a catholic area, and that means large families with 3-4-5-6 kids. When that happens you have siblings that play sports together jn the back yard ALL the time

next the vast majority of kids here come from 2 parent families where the biological parents are together. This sets the tone for stable environment, where kids don't struggle with grades or get into trouble, leaving more time to play sports

also because its such a rural area there is nothing to do on a Fri or Sat night, so kids go to basketball or football games from the time they are 1 year old. the result is they idolize the kids playing and want to emulate them when they get older. Here HS sports are a community event. A time to socialize, sit beside your Dr and your HS girlfriend while in the stands.Communities take a great deal of pride in their children, in many ways its all we have and we cherish it a great deal.

also they see other kids that have obtained a free college education, when you have 5 brothers or sisters its impossible for mom and dad to pay for all the college cost. sports is way to get it paid for

work ethic.............. farming communities laced with blue collar factory jobs produce people with a very very strong work ethic. that produces kids willing to put forth the effort to become very good at what ever they do

and last parental support.............. my daughter played HS golf. At a HS gold match with 6 girls from her town playing, there would be maybe 50 spectators following the team around in a golf cart. Now keep in mind the team was average at best. When they faced other teams from other parts of the state, the other team would have ZERO people there to support them. Just a small example of how supportful the community and the schools and the parents are of their children in the area.

Guest boatboatboat

......from some of the attendance I witnessed at some bowl games this year, we had more fans at a Class A football game in Iowa, LOL

yea, I hear ya!

around here at least its the following IMO

Genetics. Kids are just big here. HS with 35 kids on the team total will have O-lines with 2-3 kids over 250 lbs. HS basketball teams will have a duo of kids 6 foot 5.

next is its a catholic area, and that means large families with 3-4-5-6 kids. When that happens you have siblings that play sports together jn the back yard ALL the time

next the vast majority of kids here come from 2 parent families where the biological parents are together. This sets the tone for stable environment, where kids don't struggle with grades or get into trouble, leaving more time to play sports

also because its such a rural area there is nothing to do on a Fri or Sat night, so kids go to basketball or football games from the time they are 1 year old. the result is they idolize the kids playing and want to emulate them when they get older.

also they see other kids that have obtained a free college education, when you have 5 brothers or sisters its impossible for mom and dad to pay for all the college cost. sports is way to get it paid for

work ethic.............. farming communities laced with blue collar factory jobs produce people with a very very strong work ethic. that produces kids willing to put forth the effort to become very good at what ever they do

and last parental support.............. my daughter played HS golf. At a HS gold match with 6 girls from her town playing, there would be maybe 50 spectators following the team around in a golf cart. Now keep in mind the team was average at best. When they faced other teams from other parts of the state, the other team would have ZERO people there to support them. Just a small example of how supportful the community and the schools and the parents are of their children in the area.

Great, great post.......this sounds identical to Iowa.

.......but the big additional thing Ohio has over Iowa is it has many larger URBAN areas than what is the largest in Iowa, OHIO has the best of both worlds.

Small town Iowa football can compete with OHIO, .........but the top ten(and probably more) BIG SCHOOLs in Ohio would all crush the top 2-3 rated big school in Iowa almost on a yearly basis.

around here at least its the following IMO

also because its such a rural area there is nothing to do on a Fri or Sat night, so kids go to basketball or football games from the time they are 1 year old. the result is they idolize the kids playing and want to emulate them when they get older.

This is correct, grew up in a small town in Kansas, sports wise average at best, but always had most of the town in attendance supporting each and every game... We only had 11 guys try out for the American Legion baseball team, so everyone that tried out made the team. Played with the same kids all 4 years of high school..

Guest boatboatboat

You are right Fish

Ohio is unique in that it has such GREAT rural sports and also has the 3 C's. Cincy, Cleveland,Columbus

Columbus produces a TON of kids every year who attend Ohio State. because OSU has been so successful the kids there REALLY value HS football . Its almost a small HS mentality in a large HS setting.

Keep in mind what I call Columbus is 20 communities of 5-50k people in the greater Columbus area who all consider them self to be from "Columbus" although their mailing address might not say so.

A burglar or thief could have had a big score in my hometown on a Friday night, everybody in town was at the game and no one locked their homes and their keys were always left in the ignition.. In my 18 years of living at my parents home I never once remember them locking anything and the car keys were always in the car..

You are right Fish

Ohio is unique in that it has such GREAT rural sports and also has the 3 C's. Cincy, Cleveland,Columbus

Columbus produces a TON of kids every year who attend Ohio State. because OSU has been so successful the kids there REALLY value HS football . Its almost a small HS mentality in a large HS setting.

Keep in mind what I call Columbus is 20 communities of 5-50k people in the greater Columbus area who all consider them self to be from "Columbus" although their mailing address might not say so.

The entire state of Iowa is roughly only 2x larger in population than Columbus and their surrounding communities, amazing.........then throw in Cincy and Cleveland.

A burglar or thief could have had a big score in my hometown on a Friday night' date=' everybody in town was at the game and no one locked their homes and their keys were always left in the ignition.. In my 18 years of living at my parents home I never once remember them locking anything and the car keys were always in the car..[/quote']

This

Guest boatboatboat

Wvu

My hs has a prescription turff PRACTICE field so that when team travels to fields with that the kids are ready.

470k PRACTICE field .

No games ever played there

I'm not a WVU nuthugger but I was a distance runner for 20 years so I can relate. He is probably one of the most accomplished athletes to ever post on the forums. The guy had near olympic level talent as a college runner. A 29:17 10k is beyond fast.

But its long distance running. Who fucking cares? :btj

WVU is a better athlete for sure. He also has...

a model wife

Boat

closet full of silver

nicer house

nicer mattress

won the 10k at eog

has a lawn service

drives a benz

house swaps

vacations in the pocono mountains of PA

buys schools

Fuker has life clocked for real.