What does 2018 bring the crypto world?

BAUS

I tried to give you a bet on EOS if you remember...

And I'd be in pretty damn good shape right now if you had accepted.

The only bet I remember is whether or not it was a scam. I pushed and pushed for that one. I tried to narrow it down the language to suit you, and you didn’t want the bet. I don’t remember you trying to bet anything else at all. Link?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's going to be a bumpy ride on the way down. But there's very little chance that any of the major coins see their all time highs ever again.

Wasn’t that kind of thing said after MT Gox out got hacked when it fell from over 1000 to 30, or whatever that was? Seems like I remember reading statements like that, but I can’t be sure, and it was before my time in crypto. I don’t know if it will either, but then again I was told not to buy at 1700, that it was going down below 1000 before 3000.... This is before it went to 20.

Ever since Wall Street got involved, I have not trusted the ability of crypto to rise like that again. I feel like it’s going to be exactly where the government and WS want it to be. I don’t know. I was disillusioned s like this win Erh crashes 50% last year, but after six months it hit an all-time high. Only time will tell.

I would wager that EOS tokens will be worth less on 1/1/19 than they are today (that includes any potential blockchains that might reward ERC20 token holders with EOS platform tokens/coins on their respective blockchain).

I'm not wagering on trying to prove that someone is gaming sheep/idiots.  That's an impossible wager to win short of the person getting hauled off in cuffs.

Get real.

Posted on 1/13/18 when EOS was over $18.

Wasn’t that kind of thing said after MT Gox out got hacked when it fell from over 1000 to 30, or whatever that was? Seems like I remember reading statements like that, but I can’t be sure, and it was before my time in crypto. I don’t know if it will either, but then again I was told not to buy at 1700, that it was going down below 1000 before 3000.... This is before it went to 20.

Ever since Wall Street got involved, I have not trusted the ability of crypto to rise like that again. I feel like it’s going to be exactly where the government and WS want it to be. I don’t know. I was disillusioned s like this win Erh crashes 50% last year, but after six months it hit an all-time high. Only time will tell.

Where are the new investors going to come from to drive the price up again?

Pretty much everyone that was a potential investor already knows about Bitcoin.

And under $14 the same day, lol.

Yeah. I found my response.

“That is not even what we’ve been discussing..... Is this for real? You said that the developer was a scammer, and was going to run off with investor money. You previously made a comparison to Bernie Madoff. I have said repeatedly I don’t know if the project will succeed, but that the team was solid and not setting out to steal investor money. Unbelievable.

If you want to wager on the content of our hours of debate great.... but if you are going to change the narrative because you found out the developer was not a kid in his mom’s basement, I don’t have time for this. “

this is what I have repeatedly said. I never saw it as an intentional scam per se. Legit project. Whether or not it goes smoothly and succeeds ultimately, I don’t know, as no one does. I never had any price expectations in mind, so we were not debating that and I would not have wanted to bet on that. As we know, I started buying EOS at $.58 or so, so still alright with me, though I had a couple buys at much higher levels. But I refuse to debate EOS today...or any more really,,,,. I need to look at this tether/Potter stuff and figure out if it means anything.

yeah the main problem I see is now people that KNOW about bitcoin and other cryptos have seen the values drop 70%+, and have seen friends/family lose money and will have no real interest in getting in... no younger person is gonna collect stamps/coins/cards/swarovsky figures/etc after they've heard guys like me complain about losing 90%

I was the only person I know that had bitcoin or even really knew about it back in the mt gox days

You don't see exchanges having problems keeping up with registering new accounts any more...

Well it would definitely need some momentum first. If it dips to sub 5k, then some of the people who have been waiting on the sidelines may get in? I know people like that, Institutional money? Definitely there needs to be some news first though. Less bad news and fud and more encouraging news. The fundamentals have not changed. The price has decreased due to regulation talks, exchange problems, taxes, hacks, etc. If we could get a good run of time without any of these things, might have a chance. The banning of credit cards, for better or worse, was a big hit I think. That was the easiest way to buy any decent amount...for many people. Point is, a lot of the price fall has been due to external influences, not due to the failure of the technology.

I forget. Do you own any crypto at this time? Btc right? Your stop losses hit on Ethereum?

yeah the main problem I see is now people that KNOW about bitcoin and other cryptos have seen the values drop 70%+, and have seen friends/family lose money and will have no real interest in getting in... no younger person is gonna collect stamps/coins/cards/swarovsky figures/etc after they've heard guys like me complain about losing 90%

I was the only person I know that had bitcoin or even really knew about it back in the mt gox days

I know plenty of people on forums who had BTC back then and were talking about it, but I wasn’t paying attention. Sadly enough.

And under $14 the same day, lol.

Yeah. I found my response.

“That is not even what we’ve been discussing..... Is this for real? You said that the developer was a scammer, and was going to run off with investor money. You previously made a comparison to Bernie Madoff. I have said repeatedly I don’t know if the project will succeed, but that the team was solid and not setting out to steal investor money. Unbelievable.

If you want to wager on the content of our hours of debate great.... but if you are going to change the narrative because you found out the developer was not a kid in his mom’s basement, I don’t have time for this. “

this is what I have repeatedly said. I never saw it as an intentional scam per se. Legit project. Whether or not it goes smoothly and succeeds ultimately, I don’t know, as no one does. I never had any price expectations in mind, so we were not debating that and I would not have wanted to bet on that. As we know, I started buying EOS at $.58 or so, so still alright with me, though I had a couple buys at much higher levels. But I refuse to debate EOS today...or any more really,,,,. I need to look at this tether/Potter stuff and figure out if it means anything.

The longer you hold onto this stuff, the greater the chance that you'll end up losing money.

Stealing isn't the same as scamming. There is no possible way a rational investor would have payed close to what they got for less than a year of development on mediocre (at best) software.

EOS closed at $16.23 that day. Even if it was at $14, I'd really like my position on that wager today.

The longer you hold onto this stuff, the greater the chance that you'll end up losing money.

Stealing isn't the same as scamming. There is no possible way a rational investor would have payed close to what they got for less than a year of development on mediocre (at best) software.

EOS closed at $16.23 that day. Even if it was at $14, I'd really like my position on that wager today.

Yeah. I wwouldn’t bet a price bet on a specific coin these days unless it was something crazy like EOS under a nickel or whatever MM said. Market cap I might.

I just wondered if it wasn’t the same sentiment after Mt. Gox and the market collapse. It took two years to recover from that. I am imagining and think I’ve read, that people thought the same thing then... that it would never hit $1000 again.

Well it would definitely need some momentum first. If it dips to sub 5k, then some of the people who have been waiting on the sidelines may get in? I know people like that, Institutional money? Definitely there needs to be some news first though. Less bad news and fud and more encouraging news. The fundamentals have not changed. The price has decreased due to regulation talks, exchange problems, taxes, hacks, etc. If we could get a good run of time without any of these things, might have a chance. The banning of credit cards, for better or worse, was a big hit I think. That was the easiest way to buy any decent amount...for many people. Point is, a lot of the price fall has been due to external influences, not due to the failure of the technology.

I forget. Do you own any crypto at this time? Btc right? Your stop losses hit on Ethereum?

I think you get too caught up in the daily news and can't see the forest through the trees. There is a complete breakdown in technology. There's no way Bitcoin or any other crypto can service mass consumerism. We saw that with huge delays and massive fees when cryptos were at peak interest. When I was running a full node of BTC, the blockchain was at around 165GB with about a day or two worth of equivalent Visa transactions. There is no possible way to decentralize a ledger of that size. People running full nodes (the people with voting rights on the blockchain) would need massive storage capacity if BTC ever was actually capable of processing enough transactions for mass consumerism.

I have no speculative holds right now. Just have my bot running intraday trades.

Yeah. I wwouldn’t bet a price bet on a specific coin these days unless it was something crazy like EOS under a nickel or whatever MM said. Market cap I might.

I just wondered if it wasn’t the same sentiment after Mt. Gox and the market collapse. It took two years to recover from that. I am imagining and think I’ve read, that people thought the same thing then... that it would never hit $1000 again.

The difference back then was that Mt. Gox was essentially the only place to buy and sell BTC. So, it crippled the market for different reasons. There were very few other exchanges around at the time. And most of them weren't trustworthy.

That was a problem that didn't have a difficult solution except for the people that lost their coins.

bitcoin reminds me of the dotcom bubble especially now that wallstreet is involved price munipulation is certainly going on.

I think you get too caught up in the daily news and can't see the forest through the trees. There is a complete breakdown in technology. There's no way Bitcoin or any other crypto can service mass consumerism. We saw that with huge delays and massive fees when cryptos were at peak interest. When I was running a full node of BTC, the blockchain was at around 165GB with about a day or two worth of equivalent Visa transactions. There is no possible way to decentralize a ledger of that size. People running full nodes (the people with voting rights on the blockchain) would need massive storage capacity if BTC ever was actually capable of processing enough transactions for mass consumerism.

I have no speculative holds right now. Just have my bot running intraday trades.

What I said was that nothing had CHANGED in the tech. As for scalability, I thought that was what EOS was theoretically going to solve. ;). Of course they say EOS isn’t truly decentralized... and you are talking about using as a payment mechanism only... aren’t there plenty of other projects that don’t depend on the need to scale?

I’ve been looking at Mana again....seems to have held up pretty well thru all the crap.

totally agree with this statement

at higher prices, bitcoin was its own worst enemy, fees were $20 if you wanted a transaction to go through so places like steam quit taking btc altogether

just like mining enough bitcoin to be functional would've used up all the world's electricity... actually using it to process transactions is impossible, and there is no motive whatsoever in anyone taking bitcoin

What I said was that nothing had CHANGED in the tech. As for scalability, I thought that was what EOS was theoretically going to solve. ;). Of course they say EOS isn’t truly decentralized... and you are talking about using as a payment mechanism only... aren’t there plenty of other projects that don’t depend on the need to scale?

I’ve been looking at Mana again....seems to have held up pretty well thru all the crap.

EOS and every other crypto would have the exact same shortfalls.

Blockchain technology could have uses internally for certain companies but this whole idea of decentralization is a complete pipe dream.

If a crypto doesn't need to scale, it can never be and will never be widely adopted or valuable to the masses.

EOS and every other crypto would have the exact same shortfalls.

Blockchain technology could have uses internally for certain companies but this whole idea of decentralization is a complete pipe dream.

If a crypto doesn't need to scale, it can never be and will never be widely adopted or valuable to the masses.

What price did you sell your BTC at? See I don’t look at crypto in terms of payment mechanisms, so that’s why I don’t concentrate on the transaction speed.What do you think of Mana?

Also, is anyone following the ICOs ? Is there money to be made there? I think Bryan Kelly kind of alluded to that in that stupid BTC funeral segment the other day, but not sure if I heard him correctly.

if you're getting in at next to nothing then it's hard to lose... so much money has been made on those, god we should all be billionaires, I could've easily developed a better coin

1586 listed cryptos is already 1583 too many

if you're getting in at next to nothing then it's hard to lose... so much money has been made on those, god we should all be billionaires, I could've easily developed a better coin

1586 listed cryptos is already 1583 too many

Unless it’s TeZos!! Hahahah. That is the only ICO I ever got in, so I’m a little jaded. Hopefully someday it will launch. I think it’s probably the second biggest ICO in terms of money raised other than EOS...just guessing.

It’s kind of a pain to get into some of those, but if I got the hang of it maybe that’s the way to go..Seems like that is where the smart money is going.