I have questions

IAG

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Directed to any of the CPAs here who love giving free tax advice:

Are any of the charges by bank or exchange associated with purchase or sale of bitcoin able to be deducted as investment fees?

Directed to anyone else

I had planned to install hardwood floors this in part of house, but was advised not to because of the furry guys. What is the best type of engineered substitute that looks realistic? Are there any?

Are any of the charges by bank or exchange associated with purchase or sale of bitcoin able to be deducted as investment fees?

Directed to anyone else

I had planned to install hardwood floors this in part of house, but was advised not to because of the furry guys. What is the best type of engineered substitute that looks realistic? Are there any?

you don't want to deduct them as "investment fees" especially going forward, because under the new tax law starting 1/1/2018 those wouldn't be deductible.

what you want to call them is additional cost basis on anything sold, reducing capital gains or increasing losses

Directed to anyone else

they have ceramic hardwood fo ru to look at, it's better if u have pets

you don't want to deduct them as "investment fees" especially going forward, because under the new tax law starting 1/1/2018 those wouldn't be deductible.

what you want to call them is additional cost basis on anything sold, reducing capital gains or increasing losses

Ok thanks Mike! That was what I was planning to do...I knew that is what you would do with stocks..didn’t know if same with Crypto Can I include cost of wires or CC fee as part of basis also since they were necessary for income generating investments?

I’m already worked up about getting my Roomba today...can’t t take any more excitement...take it down a notch full Monty.

:laugh

and yes of course you can also add in the cc fees and wire transfer fees... but nothing else like subscriptions/newsletters/travel/etc unless it was on Schedule C as a business (which you don't want to do because then the bottom line is subject to self-employment taxes too)

:laugh

and yes of course you can also add in the cc fees and wire transfer fees... but nothing else like subscriptions/newsletters/travel/etc unless it was on Schedule C as a business (which you don't want to do because then the bottom line is subject to self-employment taxes too)

Hmmmm I read different.

“Any investment counseling you get, which includes publications (like The Wall Street Journal), and newsletters, like those offered here at The Motley Fool, are tax-deductible investment expenses.”

Turbo tax told me that also?

Hmmmm I read different.

“Any investment counseling you get, which includes publications (like The Wall Street Journal), and newsletters, like those offered here at The Motley Fool, are tax-deductible investment expenses.”

Turbo tax told me that also?

we're talking apples and oranges... yes that stuff is deductible as an investment expense, but then you have to clear the 2% hurdle, and have enough to itemize deductions on Schedule A, and starting in 2018 you can't deduct ANY investment expenses.

i was talking about fees that you could add directly to your cost basis in calculating gain/loss on sale of bitcoin and other cryptos... for that purpose you can't add in that stuff

we're talking apples and oranges... yes that stuff is deductible as an investment expense, but then you have to clear the 2% hurdle, and have enough to itemize deductions on Schedule A, and starting in 2018 you can't deduct ANY investment expenses.

i was talking about fees that you could add directly to your cost basis in calculating gain/loss on sale of bitcoin and other cryptos... for that purpose you can't add in that stuff

I’m still working on 2017. I know I can’t add into cost basis but wanted to list as an investment expense. I had a WSJ subscription, But come to think of it I paid for that with miles so not applicable anyway. Ha.

I can see a cat getting after a table leg. Not really going after a flat floor though.

They don’t scratch my table legs but when they jump up on a table or fall off they managed to leave fine scratch marks. I guess just walking around the floor there won’t be too much damage. Moreso with a dog I guess.

I’m still working on 2017. I know I can’t add into cost basis but wanted to list as an investment expense. I had a WSJ subscription, But come to think of it I paid for that with miles so not applicable anyway. Ha.

what you want to add in is stuff like a laptop/computer/cell phone/etc that will get you well over the hurdle (first 2% of agi isn't deductible).

or if you can write that stuff off against your rental property, then you get it dollar for dollar

what you want to add in is stuff like a laptop/computer/cell phone/etc that will get you well over the hurdle (first 2% of agi isn't deductible).

or if you can write that stuff off against your rental property, then you get it dollar for dollar

Gotcha. Would be much easier to justify using for investments I think. Do I figure out what percentage of use is for investing?

Really don’t do much with the rental other than collect a check.

They don’t scratch my table legs but when they jump up on a table or fall off they managed to leave fine scratch marks. I guess just walking around the floor there won’t be too much damage. Moreso with a dog I guess.

There is more topcoat on a floor than on a table.

I implore you to get the hardwood. It’s the second classiest floor there is.