What am I missing with LIV golf?

Shavencoinpurse

1 hour ago, Gmcarroll33 said:

World #34 Thomas Pieters, Danny Lee, and Brendan Steele to LIV.

It looks like their team model is to go for a global reach by having global teams kind of like the Ryder Cup and World Cup where each country roots for their own. All the Aussies are on the same team, all the South Africans on the same team, all Spanish and Mexicans on the same team, all South Americans on the same team, etc.  They need to get real and play 4 rounds but other than that this league is awesome.  Every week is a party like the WMPO.

I concur

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, mikeman said:

I concur

They’re up this week in Mexico.  If their TV deal is already set for this year then lets go!  They get a good broadcast team, cool theme music like CBS has to present it and this is here to stay.  They better get it right from the get go, otherwise this ends as just a fun idea.  I have to think most that left the pgatour in their prime saw the big picture vs a league set to flop after a year or 2.

4 minutes ago, Gmcarroll33 said:

They’re up this week in Mexico.  If their TV deal is already set for this year then lets go!  They get a good broadcast team, cool theme music like CBS has to present it and this is here to stay.  They better get it right from the get go, otherwise this ends as just a fun idea.  I have to think most that left the pgatour in their prime saw the big picture vs a league set to flop after a year or 2.

It's on the CW network, only on sat/sun though, so if you want to watch friday you'll have to stream it.

I thought the coverage last year was great.

33 minutes ago, mikeman said:

It's on the CW network, only on sat/sun though, so if you want to watch friday you'll have to stream it.

I thought the coverage last year was great.

Cool I just wasn’t sure if it was set up to air this year or next.  That’s 1 channel above CBS in my area.  Definitely watching.  

The PGA Tour needs to get over it and accept that LIV is here to stay and has an interesting alternative that a lot of the top talent want to play in.  I’ve yet to hear a compelling argument from Rory or any other player so anti LIV about what’s wrong with it.  Again the Saudi’s pay your sponsors 40 billion a year and you take their money.  LIV just pays them directly.  Tiger and Rory look like total bafoons in this situation, especially with them starting up their own league on top of it.

10 minutes ago, Jimmy Hoffa said:

No Tiger?

Remind me when it next airs.

This weekend.  Abraham Ancer just went wire to wire ftw in the arab world.  Now he’s in Mexico where driving accuracy is at a premium.  He should be in the mix.  The Mexican people and the cartels hopefully come out and support him.  Burritos and his tequila brand all around if he wins!

2 minutes ago, Gmcarroll33 said:

This weekend.  Abraham Ancer just went wire to wire ftw in the arab world.  Now he’s in Mexico where driving accuracy is at a premium.  He should be in the mix.  The Mexican people and the cartels hopefully come out and support him.  Burritos and his tequila brand all around if he wins!

The irony of a man named Abraham winning in the land of Mohammed amuses me.

2 hours ago, jasson621 said:

100% trash, I won't watch it at all, meanwhile the Genesis had a major feel from Thursday-Sunday superior product. 

Any tournament post WMPO sucks.  The field was just as deep there but way cooler.  The tournament fav winning made it evem more boring.

Why is it trash?  These are the exact same golfers that were some of the biggest stars on the pgatour. This isn’t the XFL or USFL filled with guys that make it like watching a sad team of wannabe never was players.  I agree that they need to play 4 rounds.  They better have their broadcasting ready too.  What’s wrong with it otherwise?  It’s simply a new golf league. 

10 minutes ago, Gmcarroll33 said:

Any tournament post WMPO sucks.  The field was just as deep there but way cooler.  The tournament fav winning made it evem more boring.

Why is it trash?  These are the exact same golfers that were some of the biggest stars on the pgatour. This isn’t the XFL or USFL filled with guys that make it like watching a sad team of wannabe never was players.  I agree that they need to play 4 rounds.  They better have their broadcasting ready too.  What’s wrong with it otherwise?  It’s simply a new golf league. 

Look I know I am a MAGA guy but that doesn't mean I have to like LIV and be mad at the woke PGA. The product is not cooler or better in any way shape or form. A new golf league sure it is and I hope it fails miserably, I like the PGA tour period and the fields being as deep now you're just being dishonest. They have DJ and Cam and even Ancer is a star on that tour because it is so watered down.

Sergio Swafford Koepka Poulter Mickelson et al couldn't warm up 100 guys on the PGA tour. But hey everyone gets to play 54 holes and make the cut is idiotic plus the quantity of quality golfers is laughable compared to the PGA. 

21 minutes ago, jasson621 said:

Look I know I am a MAGA guy but that doesn't mean I have to like LIV and be mad at the woke PGA. The product is not cooler or better in any way shape or form. A new golf league sure it is and I hope it fails miserably, I like the PGA tour period and the fields being as deep now you're just being dishonest. They have DJ and Cam and even Ancer is a star on that tour because it is so watered down.

Sergio Swafford Koepka Poulter Mickelson et al couldn't warm up 100 guys on the PGA tour. But hey everyone gets to play 54 holes and make the cut is idiotic plus the quantity of quality golfers is laughable compared to the PGA. 

I love the PGA Tour too and care nothing about MAGA or anything politically related to LIV.  Do you hate the eurotard tour or the asian tour too, or do they just not bother you because they're not a threat to steal top talent away from the PGA Tour like LIV is? 

That's really the only thing that is pissing people off is that the top talent (DJ, Cam, Bryson, Brooks, Niemann, Mito) is going to LIV vs staying on the PGA Tour, and it's all the PGA Tour's fault.  LIV never made an ultimatum of you have to sign and only play with us.  The PGA Tour did, and then magically came up with money to somewhat counter what LIV is doing.  Those guys all joined without any broadcasting in year 1.  If it really gets off the ground running, you're going to see other big names keep going.  The PGA Tour has yet to make a compelling argument for why their players can't play in a few LIV tournaments a year and also remain on the PGA Tour. 

Plus it's more to bet on.  The odds so far for the Honda Classic suck.

18 minutes ago, Gmcarroll33 said:

I love the PGA Tour too and care nothing about MAGA or anything politically related to LIV.  Do you hate the eurotard tour or the asian tour too, or do they just not bother you because they're not a threat to steal top talent away from the PGA Tour like LIV is? 

That's really the only thing that is pissing people off is that the top talent (DJ, Cam, Bryson, Brooks, Niemann, Mito) is going to LIV vs staying on the PGA Tour, and it's all the PGA Tour's fault.  LIV never made an ultimatum of you have to sign and only play with us.  The PGA Tour did, and then magically came up with money to somewhat counter what LIV is doing.  Those guys all joined without any broadcasting in year 1.  If it really gets off the ground running, you're going to see other big names keep going.  The PGA Tour has yet to make a compelling argument for why their players can't play in a few LIV tournaments a year and also remain on the PGA Tour. 

Plus it's more to bet on.  The odds so far for the Honda Classic suck.

You're a smart guy nice rose colored glasses, you really think LIV wants to exist in harmony with the PGA tour? Norman being in charge proves otherwise, he is a bitter POS for numerous reasons. We won't ever agree on this is they succeed so be it but unless they get all the "stars" and host all 4 majors I won't be watching. 

30 minutes ago, jasson621 said:

You're a smart guy nice rose colored glasses, you really think LIV wants to exist in harmony with the PGA tour? Norman being in charge proves otherwise, he is a bitter POS for numerous reasons. We won't ever agree on this is they succeed so be it but unless they get all the "stars" and host all 4 majors I won't be watching. 

The PGA Tour basically controls the eurotard tour now which is supposed to be it's own tour.  They have no problem with players going over there to play all of the big events.  What would have been the difference if they all decided to skip the high paying eurotard tournaments to go play in LIV tournaments that pays more?  Everybody blaming LIV and Greg Norman here make no sense to me with their arguments. 

I believe the PGA Tour just wants a monopoly on golf, and telling the players where they can and can't play which is stupid.  Did Greg Norman specifically have it in their contracts of "play here full time and only here or else?"  Nope only the PGA Tour has come up with that for this particular league like it's an evil to golf for some reason.  Go play as much on the eurotard tour as you please.  Go play on the PGA Tour of Australia events and try and win your country titles.  Go play on the Asian tour and try and win the Saudi International like a ton of PGA players already do.  Come back for all the PGA events you please, but set foot on one LIV tournament and you're banned.  How hypocritical is that?

We aren't going to agree, of course LIV isn't giving any ultimatums(faux appearance of the golly gee guys we want whats best for everyone). Zero chance they don;t want the PGA crushed( once again Norman being their face and voice proves that). PGA players have the choice of picking one or the other but their PGA contracts dictates the consequences they will deal with, I assume all are happy that left and that's great. Once again shit product shit format and I won't be watching. 

I see that the Cabana seats are already sold out for the Mexico event this week.  LIV is here to stay imo.  This isn't the XFL or some stupid football league with garbage players and gimmick style of play.  This is just the same golf as always in a new league with a team format as a bonus payout.  People are going to have to get over the mental hurdle of it not being the PGA Tour and the threat of it potentially competing with them, and appreciate what it brings.  5 of the 14 events wouldn't even compete with the PGA Tour as they're overseas and wouldn't hog any broadcasting viewership.  Nice to see them schedule an event at Doral again.  Zero excuse for the PGA Tour to cancel playing there.

28 minutes ago, Jimmy Hoffa said:

Will these guys be playing any of the major US courses?

Olympic Club, Bethpage, Hillcrest, Pebble, etc?

In my opinion that will give them more credibility...

Doral and a lot of other Trump courses are good ones.  The rest of the US events need a course upgrade imo.  The course from Spain is a real good one.  

The one thing that I don’t ever see them having is something like Arnie or Jack’s tournament.  Good point that you just can’t go play random tard courses and claim it as the same.  LIV is going to have to build this up and get there eventually.  The more golf the better.

What they really should do is just travel from team country to team country and have a party atmosphere everywhere they go.  Go to Australia and play a famous course there, and have everybody party like it's the WMPO and cheer on the Aussies and boo everybody else.  This being with the understanding that the majority of the tournaments are US based and we will be boo'ing all the foreigners in good fun!  Mexico could start the trend this week.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Hoffa said:

I think they really need to play a lot in the US to shake off the media's presented image of it being a foreign thing.

Play Firestone and all that shit so the public sees it as being the same as the PGA.

8 of their 14 tournaments are in the US.  It's basically combining the same players of the PGA and Eurotard tour and tournaments.  I like what they're doing but they'll need another golfer to start up their own Arnie and Jack type of tourney.