What am I missing with LIV golf?

Shavencoinpurse

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The week before the Masters this LIV tournament is definitely more interesting than the Valero.  I dunno if they'll ever get the viewership or whatever they're trying to go for with their overall format goal, but they're being smart at picking spots vs the pga tournaments.  The more golf to watch and gamble on the better.  It's nowhere as good as watching the CBS weekend broadcast, but it's about the same as watching the Golf Channel.  People that claim this is awful are out of their mind.  It's the same golfers just playing golf trying to win for the big tourney prize and prep to win majors (which is literally what most of the PGA players do with their schedule).  They need to go to 72 holes though.

Man this is one of the uglier courses I’ve seen.  Swamps everywhere, burnt looking greens.  LIV needs to stick to playing the nicer Trump courses in the US and the toughest and nicest ones world wide for the other tournaments.

There was about 20k fans there yesterday though and there appears to be plenty today too.  Despite their current tv situation I don’t see LIV going away.  Especially with the PGA conceding to play match play with them next year.  I prefer a normal PGA big event and broadcast but there’s nothing wrong with LIV’s format and the different things they’re trying.  Especially with the PGA Tour literally copying everything that they’ve done.

All that talk of Brooks Koepka having buyers remorse and wanting to go back to the PGA will probably be wiped out if he wins this and gets that check paying 4x what he would have got at the Valero this week.  He was just pissed he was injured and his game sucked.

LIV’s not going anywhere.  The crowds keep growing and a lot of people like it.  They just need to dump a lot of the older players for 3-4 more bigger names on the PGA Tour and they’ll be set to stay.  They can’t stay on the CW network and have everybody stream on the LIV app though.  Not sure what their options are as CBS and NBC won’t broadcast them.  Maybe SkySports or Fox Sports or FS1?  

2 hours ago, Gmcarroll33 said:

LIV’s not going anywhere.  The crowds keep growing and a lot of people like it.  They just need to dump a lot of the older players for 3-4 more bigger names on the PGA Tour and they’ll be set to stay.  They can’t stay on the CW network and have everybody stream on the LIV app though.  Not sure what their options are as CBS and NBC won’t broadcast them.  Maybe SkySports or Fox Sports or FS1?  

I like the fact the announcers dont praise every shot no matter how mediocre, just say that was a bad shot.

14 minutes ago, mikeman said:

I like the fact the announcers dont praise every shot no matter how mediocre, just say that was a bad shot.

Ahhh I pretty much hear them doing the same for the most part, but they have to try and sell it as much as possible since they’re trying to get off the ground.  They can’t make it like people are watching shit golfers.  Overall I like it as an alternative and have no idea what the PGA Tour’s whining fuss about it was.  There’s no reason they couldn’t play both.

PGA, Tiger, and Rory are gonna flip if a LIV guy wins this. 

Rory at 6/1 to win the Masters lol.  That dude has had 15 years now and can't figure this place out.  If only all it were was a bomb it beyond belief and hit incredible irons place and it all ends there.  That said I had 100K on him last year at 18/1, and Lowry and Cam Smith.  Rage.

2 minutes ago, mikeman said:

Would love to see koepka win, smith 2nd, reed 3rd.

I've got Niemann.  He has really pissed me off so far.  Hit the creek yesterday on both par 5s, and I still can't figure out his double on the par 3 today and why he had to take a drop.  He'd be in 2nd place if those were wiped off.  Weather is coming though and this dude can hit it as low or high as he needs to.  He has a video where his apex on a drive is 41 feet on purpose, and others where it's sky high like all the big names.

19 minutes ago, mikeman said:

I think one tree snapped maybe 1/2 way up and when it fell it took two others with it. Those 90 ft pines that were  at least a foot thick could have easily killed people.

A tree limb can kill you in a heart beat.  I was playing beach volleyball on the Fourth of July with a group a few years back.  Wind started blowing and we all thought it was awesome considering how hot it was.  Then the rain came.  Everybody gathered up as quick as possible to run for their cars while we stood and watched on the volleyball court.  This lady grabbed her baby and dashed for her car and a limb the size of 2 thighs snapped 100+ mph 1 second behind her head.  Closest I’ve ever come to seeing somebody die.  She had a look of total horror on her face at what she had just escaped.

If they start getting more events and crowds like this and a better network then they’e not going anywhere.  This place is packed.  I watched a little late last night and the crowd looked awesome at every hole.  Granted they’re gonna always lose money hosting events until a sponsor takes over, but this was fun to watch for a few hours last night.