Deem be honest with us

Guest boatboatboat

• Replies 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unlike most TGF members my athletic success never progressed beyond the high school level, but I was able to live vicariously through others. When I lived in the dorms at Pitt my next door neighbor was arguably the fastest man in the world. His name was Lee McRae and he held the world record in the 55 meter dash for at least a decade. Was a quiet guy who joined us for the occasional beer.

I also played some friendly pickup games on campus with 2 guys who made the NBA, Charles Smith and Jerome Lane. I'd like to say that I held my own with them, but my only recollection was getting the ball out of my hands as fast as I could when it came my way.

:scratch

Including WVU, there might be TWO (2) that have.  And I join you as not being part of that group.

Was being sarcastic, everywhere guys get together people tend to exaggerate their past athletic glories.

Getting back to the original Deem thing, how good he might have been is easy to ascertain. Star levels lie sometimes, offer sheets are much more important. Curious as to whether Deems was a 2 star maybe, did he actually have offers from MAC level schools? I've met so many guys who never even played in high school but somehow think that because they kept playing into their 20's could've been D1 players. They are extremely delusional.

Was being sarcastic, everywhere guys get together people tend to exaggerate their past athletic glories.

Getting back to the original Deem thing, how good he might have been is easy to ascertain. Star levels lie sometimes, offer sheets are much more important. Curious as to whether Deems was a 2 star maybe, did he actually have offers from MAC level schools? I've met so many guys who never even played in high school but somehow think that because they kept playing into their 20's could've been D1 players. They are extremely delusional.

Yeah. I read the sarcasm. That was my attempt to bring it back to reality.

"The older I get, the better I was." is a common theme amongst those that were in the ring at one time...

how many TGFers can or could dunk a basketball.

Lots of great athletes here.

I'm 5-10 and could touch the rim when I was in my early 20's, that's it. Somehow though half the guys I work with around my height claim they were jamming it with 2 hands when they were younger.

I'm 5-10 and could touch the rim when I was in my early 20's, that's it. Somehow though half the guys I work with around my height claim they were jamming it with 2 hands when they were younger.

I'm exactly 6 feet and could dunk something small like a tennis ball or volley ball in my late teens / early 20s.

Currently working out a potential wager with a coworker whether I could do it now. I asked for 5-1 and I get 6 weeks to prepare for it. He's thinking it over. I'm probably 2-3 inches off from be able to do it now, but I think i could easily train enough in 6 weeks to add that to my vert. Or

Maybe I'm crazy. I dunno.

I'm exactly 6 feet and could dunk something small like a tennis ball or volley ball in my late teens / early 20s.

Currently working out a potential wager with a coworker whether I could do it now. I asked for 5-1 and I get 6 weeks to prepare for it. He's thinking it over. I'm probably 2-3 inches off from be able to do it now, but I think i could easily train enough in 6 weeks to add that to my vert. Or

Wear ankle weights while doing everything. Honestly will help you win. Strap them on while you do everything day to day.

My basketball days are over I'm afraid.  

Played in adult leagues into my early 30's.  Then got busy with family and coaching.  

Played full court with my PE classes into my late 30's.  But thats different.

The last 2 times Ive actually went out and got into a defensive stance and tried to play competitive defense, my back went out on me.  Again. 

I'm fucked.  As far as basketball goes.

I can still take a 5 step drop and rip apart a defense in football practice though.  As long as nobody hits me.   :laugh

Wear ankle weights while doing everything. Honestly will help you win. Strap them on while you do everything day to day.

Won't this destroy my knees, though?

That's the one thing I'm kinda worried about. I'm getting old and even playing pick up 3-4 times a week for a couple hours a night has been killing my knees and shins. I'm worried about doing a ton of leg work to be able to win this.

Won't this destroy my knees, though?

That's the one thing I'm kinda worried about. I'm getting old and even playing pick up 3-4 times a week for a couple hours a night has been killing my knees and shins. I'm worried about doing a ton of leg work to be able to win this.

Not great for the knees at all but if it's a short term thing you'll be fine. This is just to win a bet. 6 weeks and you win the bet with ease.

I wanted to play football cuz I was a big kid but I couldn't catch to save my life. Fukkin spatula hands, handoffs, pitchouts no fukkin way

Id put you at defensive end and turn your loose.  Easiest spot to put a kid with heart and a motor.  But not much athleticism.  As long as you weren't slow as molasses. 

Battle with your inside shoulder and contain the edge.  And attack from there.  

Why not? I'm still athletic and only weigh 180. I figure if I drop another 5-10lbs during the 6 weeks and do a bunch of pylometrics and leg training , I could do it. Like I said, it's more a gut feeling. So could be way off.

I think youll lose if you're not even close right now

I missed the "bet/challenge".  What was it?