#2 Nats $225 – TN +845

#3 Red Sox $164 – yis +1197 

#4 Yankees $125 – rjt +1600

#4 DBacks $51 – rjt +4084

#5 Rockies $40 – rjt +5219

#5 Twins $7 – PO +30203

total in pot: $2127

I read a couple of articles.

Francona is unwilling to use Kluber on short rest and wants Bauer to start at home instead of on the road.

Home over road means Bauer needed to start either 1 or 2.

Not using Kluber on short rest means he could either pitch Games 1 and 5 or Games 2 and 5, so without using him on short rest, the earliest he could pitch again would be Game 5 anyway.

I think it's rather dumb. I would've used Kluber Game 1, Carrasco Game 2. Game 3 you could argue Clevinger or Tomlin over Bauer. Game 3 really should've been Salazar but they decided to convert him to a reliever, which I also don't agree with.

discounting the second place prize and treating odds as if first got 100%

#1 Dodgers $585 – TN +263  (+316)

#2 Astros $301 – PO +606  (+508)

#1 Indians $286 – rjt +644  (+305)

#3 Cubs $230 – TN +825  (+773)

#2 Nats $225 – TN +845  (+831)

#3 Red Sox $164 – yis +1197  (+941)

#4 Yankees $125 – rjt +1600  (+963)

#4 DBacks $51 – rjt +4084  (+1892)

#5 Rockies $40 – rjt +5219  (+3666)

#5 Twins $7 – PO +30203  (+3884)

total in pot: $2127

Current Pinnacle odds in red

I read a couple of articles.

Francona is unwilling to use Kluber on short rest and wants Bauer to start at home instead of on the road.

Home over road means Bauer needed to start either 1 or 2.

Not using Kluber on short rest means he could either pitch Games 1 and 5 or Games 2 and 5, so without using him on short rest, the earliest he could pitch again would be Game 5 anyway.

I think it's rather dumb. I would've used Kluber Game 1, Carrasco Game 2. Game 3 you could argue Clevinger or Tomlin over Bauer. Game 3 really should've been Salazar but they decided to convert him to a reliever, which I also don't agree with.

There's no good reason.  In a short series you want your ace in Games 1 and 5.  Then if Carrasco goes game 2 he would be available out of pen for Game 5.  Now he'll pitch once.  You don't cater to arguably your 5th best SP because of his home splits.  You should take Bauer out of game at the first sign of trouble regardless since you have Clevinger, Salazar, Miller in pen.  Even if Bauer is pitching well, he shouldn't be in there more than 4 or 5 innings.

​plus the splits are small sample noise anyway. Before this season, Bauer's road numbers were superior to his home numbers, I believe

Maybe Francona should use Bauer Tomlin and Clevinger to save Kluber for the ALCS. :)

The funny thing about this Bauer in Game 1 nonsense is the forecast currently calls for rain in Cleveland on Friday. If Game 2 is PPD, Kluber wouldn’t pitch until Saturday. Game 5 is Wednesday so if Francona sticks to his stance on not starting Kluber on short rest he could only get 1 start even if this series goes 5 games. Just another reason this is a terrible decision.

https://bosoxinjection.com/2017/10/02/red-sox-rant-rotation-poised-postseason-disaster/

As the Red Sox head into the playoffs, the group that is considered our rotation is about as successful lately as the Ford Company’s introduction of the Edsel. If this is the horse they are riding on for the playoffs, it will soon be transferred to the glue factory. What a nasty time to stumble.

Former Cy Young Award winner Rick Porcello was last seen pitching balls that became souvenirs to those seating in the cheap bleacher seats.  That, however, was all dependent upon the ball staying in the park and not attempting a high orbit greeting to the International Space Station. Hitters eyes will light up like saucers in the playoffs when Porcello takes the hill.

Congrats go to Chris Sale, who once again provided proof that pitching global meltdown is real. Each September Sale goes in the tank and this year is no exception. Sale became a pitching pinata the other night as four home runs in a mere five innings left the yard.  Great. Nice to have all those strikeouts for comfort. Sale does suddenly seem vincible and not invincible.

Drew Pomeranz managed to rescue the group with an excellent six innings on Saturday afternoon, but the stench still lingers from his ignominious two-inning effort that showed a fastball incapable of splitting tissue paper.  With the late season dynamics that one start boosts Pomeranz into the savior status.

Eduardo Rodriguez managed to possibly pitch himself out of postseason rotation contention.  The enigmatic lefty lasted a mere 1.2 innings while his main competition – Doug Fister – tossed 5.1 innings allowing three runs.