What am I missing with LIV golf?

Shavencoinpurse

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, MonkeyF0cker said:

The music was enough for me not to watch it.

Just doesn't seem like a serious golf event when there's music blaring the entire time.

Has more of an all-star game vibe than anything.

No one's begging you to watch it, watch the John deere then.

31 minutes ago, mikeman said:

No one's begging you to watch it, watch the John deere then.

I mean the PGA events are obviously a better broadcast at the moment with a much longer head start at coverage ideas tried and tweaked throughout the years to get it to where it is today.  I think it’s cool to have the option to flip back and forth between the two if you feel like it.  You don’t have to like LIV or their broadcast, but plenty seem to be enjoying it somewhat at least.  It’s better than any alternative football league I’ve seen tried out.  

If anything LIV forced the PGA to create more compelling events and fields.

Most of the players seem happy too.  Just about all of them said Adelaide was one of the top 5 events they’ve ever played including majors.

2 hours ago, Gmcarroll33 said:

I mean the PGA events are obviously a better broadcast at the moment with a much longer head start at coverage ideas tried and tweaked throughout the years to get it to where it is today.  I think it’s cool to have the option to flip back and forth between the two if you feel like it.  You don’t have to like LIV or their broadcast, but plenty seem to be enjoying it somewhat at least.  It’s better than any alternative football league I’ve seen tried out.  

If anything LIV forced the PGA to create more compelling events and fields.

Most of the players seem happy too.  Just about all of them said Adelaide was one of the top 5 events they’ve ever played including majors.

Being a PGA player is a loner existence, the LIV format brings in the team aspect, the comaradarie , you can make individual money but also the team money. I think it adds a lot.

46 minutes ago, mikeman said:

Being a PGA player is a loner existence, the LIV format brings in the team aspect, the comaradarie , you can make individual money but also the team money. I think it adds a lot.

I have no idea if the team aspect really means anything to any of them vs them just being forced to pump it up every time they’re interviewed and the reporter’s being made to mention and ask about it since that’s the business model of LIV’s future plans of profitability.

On the other hand Brooks definitely didn’t hold back on Matthew Wolff lately and what a useless member of their team he is.  They don’t pocket the team money anymore, so I don’t know why they really care.

2 minutes ago, Gmcarroll33 said:

I have no idea if the team aspect really means anything to any of them vs them just being forced to pump it up every time they’re interviewed and the reporter’s being made to mention and ask about it since that’s the business model of LIV’s future plans of profitability.

On the other hand Brooks definitely didn’t hold back on Matthew Wolff lately and what a useless member of their team he is.  They don’t pocket the team money anymore, so I don’t know why they really care.

They dont split it up anymore evenly - it;s supposed to be used for team expenses, I would assume the better teams who have made plenty to cover the expenses of a 14 event season do get a cut of it.

1 minute ago, Gmcarroll33 said:

It’s just gimmicky.

Like an all-star game.

Geared towards people who don’t actually like golf.  Similar to how the MLB has killed the purity of baseball too.

2 minutes ago, MonkeyF0cker said:

No shit, Sherlock.

That’s what I said I was doing.

Gm asked me what I didn’t like about it so I replied.

You're not the only guy who's whined about the graphics, I got used to it long ago, I like basically all of the announcers - perhaps dom boulet least of all but even he is ok.

As I said i think the PGA graphics as we usually get it on CBS suck, the last 2 hrs they might shrink the leader board to 2-3 guys, Is it that hard to keep it at  6-8 all the time?

4 minutes ago, mikeman said:

You're not the only guy who's whined about the graphics, I got used to it long ago, I like basically all of the announcers - perhaps dom boulet least of all but even he is ok.

As I said i think the PGA graphics as we usually get it on CBS suck, the last 2 hrs they might shrink the leader board to 2-3 guys, Is it that hard to keep it at  6-8 all the time?

Why would anyone care about the scores of players that have no chance of winning?

They show the full leaderboard during breaks.

CBS graphics shit all over CW graphics.  They don’t even have the players’ full names listed in LIV tournaments.  And the hideous colors make it hard to read what they actually do show.

It’s just gimmicky.

Like an all-star game.

Geared towards people who don’t actually like golf.  Similar to how the MLB has killed the purity of baseball too.

They know that it’s the only thing that separates them from the PGA Tour and will give them the chance to be profitable as a league long term.  100% copying F1 with a lot of this. Whether or not any of the players truly are about growing their team franchise or not vs talking about it constantly is a giant who knows.  You’ll never see me own a single LIV team item, but today the team total was down the the wire with 2 holes to go.  Different and somewhat compelling for year 1, with no sponsors yet for most although the Spanish and English team’s have theirs now.

These guys are still dropping f bombs and getting pissed and stuff when in contention and hitting bad shots.  I haven’t seen any of them act like they’re playing in a gimmick and couldn’t care less about winning.  I think you’re just not able to get past the music, and that’s fine.

1 minute ago, MonkeyF0cker said:

Why would anyone care about the scores of players that have no chance of winning?

CBS graphics shit all over CW graphics.  They don’t even have the players’ full names listed in LIV tournaments.

LIV doesn't show them all unless we see a shot of someone who's down low. the difference is we DO see a few shots from them because it matters in the team events.

They dont show them during breaks either, we might get page 2 or 3 at best.

10 minutes ago, mikeman said:

They dont split it up anymore evenly - it;s supposed to be used for team expenses, I would assume the better teams who have made plenty to cover the expenses of a 14 event season do get a cut of it.

I don’t think so.  Ultimately there’s supposed to be so much team money value from all the wins, and this lasts and is profitable that a sponsor comes in and buys 75% of it for 100 million plus.  That and sponsors begin sponsoring the tournaments and paying the prize.  Otherwise it’s just the Saudis never endingly putting their own money into each team and getting nothing back.

1 minute ago, Gmcarroll33 said:

They know that it’s the only thing that separates them from the PGA Tour and will give them the chance to be profitable as a league long term.  100% copying F1 with a lot of this. Whether or not any of the players truly are about growing their team franchise or not vs talking about it constantly is a giant who knows.  You’ll never see me own a single LIV team item, but today the team total was down the the wire with 2 holes to go.  Different and somewhat compelling for year 1, with no sponsors yet for most although the Spanish and English team’s have theirs now.

These guys are still dropping f bombs and getting pissed and stuff when in contention and hitting bad shots.  I haven’t seen any of them act like they’re playing in a gimmick and couldn’t care less about winning.  I think you’re just not able to get past the music, and that’s fine.

The bottom line is whether you like the LIV tour or hate it the PGA tour is unwatchable for at least 1/2 the year, it didn't use to be that way...but it is now.

Apparently because of LIV the DP tour was flat out broke, and the PGA tour with their bumped up purses to compete was on a unsustainable path. Which is why the need the saudi money bad, which is why LIV is going nowhere, the PGA tour and jay monaham will do whatever the saudi guy wants.

5 minutes ago, MonkeyF0cker said:

Why would anyone ever need to see past page 3 on a Sunday in a real tournament that doesn’t have gimmicky teams?  That’s at least half of the field that made the cut.

I cant stand seeing a pop in "highlight" of some joe schmo who made a 50 ft putt, if it's not live or extremely recent it's meaningless barring a hole in one.

There is no reason to show guys walking up the fairway and talking about their approach shot for 6-8 min when there is live golf to show.

9 minutes ago, Gmcarroll33 said:

Players are always gonna be competitive.

LIV reminds me of the XFL.

Just a gimmicky knockoff that has zero lasting power.

The only difference is that players were able to capitalize on the money thrown at LIV.  If the XFL offered contracts as big as or bigger than the NFL, you’d have players crossing over there too.  Doesn’t make it a better product though.

9 minutes ago, MonkeyF0cker said:

CBS graphics shit all over CW graphics.  They don’t even have the players’ full names listed in LIV tournaments.  And the hideous colors make it hard to read what they actually do show.

I agree LIV has a lot to clean up graphic and broadcasting wise and take fan feeback on.  

You get to see a lot more action but golf is a lot like baseball in that it’s a thinking game and strategizing so a lot of the times spending 3 minutes on the leader to hit his next shot is better than a cut to a clip of 7 different shots during that timespan.  They seem to do it better on their final rounds though.  If they do that and get it more like a giant PGA broadcast I think most would get cool with it, and not lose their mind over the music.  Maybe they drop that down the roaf but I don’t imagine they will.  Every LIV tournament is a party atmosphere.

2 minutes ago, mikeman said:

I cant stand seeing a pop in "highlight" of some joe schmo who made a 50 ft putt, if it's not live or extremely recent it's meaningless barring a hole in one.

There is no reason to show guys walking up the fairway and talking about their approach shot for 6-8 min when there is live golf to show.

You wanna see every score of the entire field during the broadcast on Sunday but you don’t want to see great shots?  Umm.  Ok.

2 minutes ago, Gmcarroll33 said:

I agree LIV has a lot to clean up graphic and broadcasting wise and take fan feeback on.  

You get to see a lot more action but golf is a lot like baseball in that it’s a thinking game and strategizing so a lot of the times spending 3 minutes on the leader to hit his next shot is better than a cut to a clip of 7 different shots during that timespan.  They seem to do it better on their final rounds though.  If they do that and get it more like a giant PGA broadcast I think most would get cool with it, and not lose their mind over the music.  Maybe they drop that down the roaf but I don’t imagine they will.  Every LIV tournament is a party atmosphere.

Yeah.  Strategizing is a huge part of the game.  Taking that analysis away is bad for the entire sport.  People who play the game learn a lot just by watching how the players address challenges and approaches.

I doubt I’ll ever convert and with the merger probably won’t have to.

3 minutes ago, MonkeyF0cker said:

You wanna see every score of the entire field during the broadcast on Sunday but you don’t want to see great shots?  Umm.  Ok.

The worst is when they follow a fan favorite for 8-9 holes and then the guy makes a double and is out of it and they stop showing any of his shots, or when there's only the final group or two on the course(playing twosomes) and they show every thought process of the leader but cant manage to even show the 5-10 second shot from his playing partner.

Players are always gonna be competitive.

LIV reminds me of the XFL.

Just a gimmicky knockoff that has zero lasting power.

The only difference is that players were able to capitalize on the money thrown at LIV.  If the XFL offered contracts as big as or bigger than the NFL, you’d have players crossing over there too.  Doesn’t make it a better product though.

I agree it’s not better, but again only has 1 year with people like you weighing in on why they don’t wanna watch vs the PGA.  Surely they’re gonna be smart about it and make tweaks and changes based on this kind of feedback.

A lot of people like it so it’s good for any who want to watch it to have the option.  They’re the same golfers who still play great in all the majors.  The XFL on the other hand was filled with nothing but utter jokes of never was guys (I know some of the LIV guys like Siwhan Kim have no business being there and are a joke too.)

I have no problem with anybody just not liking it, but there’s been so much negative garbage reasoning against it from the Saudi hypocrisy, the “the players don’t even care anymore and just took a pile of money” argument which is now proven incorrect , the “lol Brooks 3 rounds doesn’t count bro.  Welcome back to real golf where it takes 4 to win” at the Masters only for him to go on and win the PGA Championship (so that was also proven incorrect), that I just don’t get why anybody is so worried about a league they claim to care nothing about and don’t like.